Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frying vs Steaming - Is it really a big deal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Frying vs Steaming - Is it really a big deal?

    So conventional wisdom says you should steam your veges and not fry them, as frying destroys the nutritional value.

    And that makes sense in a way cause frying is much higher heat than steaming.

    But... fried stuff tastes so much better, and lets you get more fat into it via oils (fat is good).

    I mean I guess you could douse the steamed veges with olive oil or something, but again, the issue is taste. If food doesn't taste good it kills the motivation to eat it.

    What are your thoughts on this?

  • #2
    Meh, do what you feel. If I'm not eating veggies raw I always fry or roast them because a) I don't have a steamer and b) I like the fat cooked into the veggies instead of having them just sitting around in it after being cooked. When you're WOE provides as many nutrients as primal does, you don't need to worry about how to maximize your nutrition from every little serving IMO.
    Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 06-30-2011, 04:50 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I do both. For instance last night we had broccoli and cabbage steamed, so I then doused them in EVOO, lemon juice and a bit of salt. I also like them roasted if there is time and today I will be having some fried with a couple of eggs thrown in.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's all about the temperature. Simmering in water is generally considered safe because the temperatures only reach up to 212 degrees, and the well known carcinogens like acrylamides and PAH's don't start forming until 250 degrees for carbs, and 310 for protein. I scrambled some duck eggs on pretty low heat (4 then down to 3 on an electric stove) in olive oil and the temperature only got up to 151. Less damaging than hard boiled although there's some extra oxidation from exposing the yolk to heat and air by stirring.

        There is definitely safe ways to fry with lower temps and still get great taste. It's not the act of frying itself that is bad but the fact that people often turn the heat up so high to create that explosive sizzling that you just know in your heart is going to straight up end your life but that caramelized flavour is worth it to some people ; )

        Comment


        • #5
          God, I've got a few bones to pick with you!

          But, steam vs fry, not a big deal in the PB world, just don't overcook.
          This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

          Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
          Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

          Comment


          • #6
            steaming and boiling makes for easier digestion. grilling/frying leaves me with indigestion and burps
            Get on my Level
            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Oh, dear. I didn't know this was a thing. I stir-fry veggies all the time. I'm going to have to see some good scientific evidence before I give that up.

              Comment


              • #8
                What about roasting? I can't live without roasted veggies, but I typically have the oven at 400 - am I making my veggies carcinogenic? Roasted veggies are SO GOOD.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I deep fry in pastured pig lard that I render myself. YUM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Suldog View Post
                    What about roasting? I can't live without roasted veggies, but I typically have the oven at 400 - am I making my veggies carcinogenic? Roasted veggies are SO GOOD.
                    Roasted veggies at 250 are even more delicious, they just take longer ; )

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You shouldn't fry your veg as they will take in a lot of oil and MAKE YOU FAT! (Laugh a little? I just did.)

                      With steaming in a pressure cooker you can push higher temps than oil. You can also push higher temps in the oven, most oils have a flash point around 375F, too much higher than that and you could get all crazy flambe`.

                      I wouldn't say that fried stuff tastes better either, I'd say well seasoned and properly cooked food tastes better. Properly cooked is what defines cooking method. I would have to say though, steamed broccoli covered in a good oil and fresh lemon juice is damn good, but it comes to quality - no $9 a liter bertolli here.

                      Maligning a single cooking method is ignorance, and ignorance is bliss, a lot of people like bliss.

                      Originally posted by God View Post
                      So conventional wisdom says you should steam your veges and not fry them, as frying destroys the nutritional value.

                      And that makes sense in a way cause frying is much higher heat than steaming.

                      But... fried stuff tastes so much better, and lets you get more fat into it via oils (fat is good).

                      I mean I guess you could douse the steamed veges with olive oil or something, but again, the issue is taste. If food doesn't taste good it kills the motivation to eat it.

                      What are your thoughts on this?
                      My Fitday public journal.
                      Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                      Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                      Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Kasey View Post
                        It's all about the temperature. Simmering in water is generally considered safe because the temperatures only reach up to 212 degrees, and the well known carcinogens like acrylamides and PAH's don't start forming until 250 degrees for carbs, and 310 for protein. I scrambled some duck eggs on pretty low heat (4 then down to 3 on an electric stove) in olive oil and the temperature only got up to 151. Less damaging than hard boiled although there's some extra oxidation from exposing the yolk to heat and air by stirring.
                        I would love to see scientific proof of this. Not just formation of certain compounds, but the actual effect they have on us. It sounds like a recipe for an insipid food life though.
                        My Fitday public journal.
                        Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                        Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                        Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I thought the high temp carcinogenic stuff is only related to meat because of the compounds meat has in them. Then again, I've never thought to research it.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X