No announcement yet.

Why don't we just come out and say it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't we just come out and say it?

All this "paleo" and "primal" stuff... why don't we just say "we don't eat seeds."

I mean think about it? What are the main things that ALL primal and paleo people don't eat?

Grains.
    Legumes.
    Vegetable oils.

All of these things are made from SEEDS. In fact, the "on the edge" foods like nuts are ALSO seeds.

Why are seeds so bad? Well, go look at any herbivore. Actually, to be more specific, look at herbivore's poo. What do you notice? That's right, seeds. Seeds were designed by nature to contain proteins and enzymes that let them pass through the digestive system unharmed so they can come out the other end in a big pile of ready made fertilizer.

This works great when you eat the whole seed without chewing it like with berries. If, on the other hand, you grind up those seeds and eat them, and try to digest them, the plant still has all of those compounds specifically designed to make them NOT be digested. So they mess with your body, causing inflammation and stress.

So before you go "well, THIS grain is ok, it's pretty neural..." THINK. If it's a SEED you probably shouldn't eat it.

Once you have removed ALL seeds from your diet, you can begin to tweak ratios of macro nutrients and begin to see if you have an intolerance to something else (dairy, nightshades... etc...) but while you are eating seeds you will have inflammation and lower health.

And that's my rant against seeds. Evil, evil seeds.

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

"while you are eating seeds you will have inflammation and lower health."

I really hope that isn't true because I eat sunflower seeds and pine nuts almost every day.
    ~Blog~

Comment

New Evolution book sais that seeds are toxic, so that's why it's Okay to eat nuts, but not sunflower seeds. It offered no opinion on pine nuts.

Should I stop eating apple seeds when I eat apples?
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

You don't eat the seeds of grasses and legumes.
        More accurate...
        “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
        Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Apple seeds are poisonous.

Comment

....but...but...what about whole grains?

It's funny what people will be duped into believing is healthy. Most foods with the "whole grains" label means that the grains have been processed and then reassembled in pieces to amount to approximately a whole grain. So you get none of the benefits of an intact grain, but people convince themselves it must be healthy.

Avoiding seeds seems pretty simplistic. I doubt it will convince people addicted to their SAD ways to change though.
            5-24-10 ................ 5-24-11
            Weight: 281.......... Weight: 203

10-11-10
            Weight: 259
            Total Cholesterol: 243
            LDL: 188
            HDL: 40
            Trig: 96

2-18-11
            Weight: 228
            Total Cholesterol: 239
            LDL: 183 (calc), 138 (actual)
            HDL: 46
            Trig: 49

6-23-11
            Weight: 197.2
            Total Cholesterol: 225
            LDL: 161 (calc), 120 (actual)
            HDL: 56
            Trig: 38

Comment

Speaking of seeds, is Sesame Oil a good oil to use or bad oil to use? What about Chili Oil? I like to stirfry with both!

Comment

Like many chemical substances, apple seeds are poisonous in large amounts, but in small amounts they have some good stuff, like B17 and anti-cancer something. I figure if one gets to eat that one apple a day, apple seeds come as a bonus. I simply cannot throw away any part of the delicious, wonderful, mouthwatering apple...

Comment

Technically, the only species on the planet that eats seeds is birds. I eat stuff that has come from a seed though - any vegetable or fruit.
                  People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Originally posted by IndigoBanshee View Post
                    Apple seeds are poisonous.
                    they do apparently contain cyanide, though in what levels I can't say. I'm guessing you'd have to eat a large amount to get a high enough dose to be harmful.

I was brought up to eat the whole apple (apart from the stalk) so have always eaten the pips too, haven't died yet ;-)
                    Can't remember the last time I ate an apple though, since going primal I find most fruit too sweet.
                    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Well, when you eat a tomato or a cucumber or a zuccini...

Comment

Originally posted by donnal View Post
                        Speaking of seeds, is Sesame Oil a good oil to use or bad oil to use?
                        It's OK in small amounts, although it should probably be cold-pressed or expeller-processed or whatever it is for sesame seeds.

What about Chili Oil?
                        AFAIK, that's just some kind of vegetable oil infused with chillies. I don't think you make oil from chilli seeds—best thrown away on account of their fieriness if nothing else, I think.

I like to stirfry with both!
                        You can sprinkle some in towards the end as a kind of seasoning, but i don't think sesame oil will take a very high heat. Not sure—you can check what it'll go up to online. Since stir-frying uses such high temperatures, it's better to use something very stable, like peanut oil. Peanut oil hasn't got a very good omega 3/omega 6 profile, but if you don't use it often ...

Otherwise, just fry at a lower temperature, rather than stir-frying.

Comment

Originally posted by IcarianVX View Post
                          Technically, the only species on the planet that eats seeds is birds. I eat stuff that has come from a seed though - any vegetable or fruit.
                          Difficult to see how a browsing animal could avoid taking them in. Of course, a ruminant has enough stomachs to take care of most plant matter, which we don't.

Having said that, I should think people always have collected and eaten the seeds of wild grasses. It may not be a good idea to do it; that doesn't mean it's not something that people do. Fragments of several cereal grasses, including barley, have been found between the teeth of Neanderthals. And when hominids other than ourselves were eating these things the "I don't think they would have eaten those" game is really up. Again, doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it, but people do do it and did do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                            You can sprinkle some in towards the end as a kind of seasoning, but i don't think sesame oil will take a very high heat. Not sure—you can check what it'll go up to online. Since stir-frying uses such high temperatures, it's better to use something very stable, like peanut oil. Peanut oil hasn't got a very good omega 3/omega 6 profile, but if you don't use it often ...
                            That's what I've always heard about sesame oil. I've used it more as a seasoning at the end. I used to stir fry in peanut oil. Macadamia nut oil is supposed to be a good substitute with a better fat profile. Of course, coconut oil is pretty stable, too. I tend to use that for higher heat cooking personally.

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                            Having said that, I should think people always have collected and eaten the seeds of wild grasses. It may not be a good idea to do it; that doesn't mean it's not something that people do. Fragments of several cereal grasses, including barley, have been found between the teeth of Neanderthals. And when hominids other than ourselves were eating these things the "I don't think they would have eaten those" game is really up. Again, doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it, but people do do it and did do it.
                            I'm sure people did eat them but the amounts were probably quite small until we learned to cultivate them. I've also read the claim that many of our modern cultivated grains are genetically quite different. Rice, less so. Wheat and corn, quite a bit. Even non-GMO crops have been undergoing selective breeding for milennia now.

Still, while the evolutionary aspect interests me, I don't take it as the hard and fast rule of how I should eat. I also try to look at the research as a guide.
                            Last edited by DaisyEater; 06-30-2011, 01:02 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting

Comment

refer to the paper ---- No Nuts for ‘Nutcracker Man’ - University of Utah News Release: May 2nd, 2011 -----other similar reports can be found

Seems to say that early man, as far back as Australopithhecus, ate grass. From that source at least two species branched---paranthropus boisei and homo erectus. One major difference between these two is that paranthropus bosei ate grass and homo erectus ate grass seed. Homo erectus is our direct ancestor.

So, grass eaters failed to endure and grass seed eaters thrived. Them is us.

Now for a new question. How have those grasses changed through the years? Are the seeds the same? I doubt it. Are there any seeds that come close to those in the diet of early paleolithic people?

I just have questions.

I do eat seeds. sesame seeds, many nuts (seeds), green beans (seeds), humus (made with sesame seeds and garbanzo seeds), and seeds from many fruits and vegetables. Should I run to an ER?
                              Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Working...
                              X