Replacing Electrolytes after sweating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Electrolytes after sweating

So I was reading a blog post by Mark talking about how much water we need and he mentioned needing to replace electrolytes for heavy workouts...but I didn't notice where he or comments on the blog said how much or how?

Should I put a teaspoon of salt in water if I sweat a bunch? Or what? There are also other electrolytes besides sodium...so I'm not sure at all. Also how much do you have to sweat before you need replacement?
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

I do hot yoga, I lose about 2 pounds per 90 minute session, and that's after drinking 1.5l of water while doing it. I eat good food, and don't worry about it. You don't need it. Those electrolyte "concerns" and drinks are the product of savvy marketing.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

Salt water is fine. I like pickle juice. Vinegar works too.

Honestly - if you're not experiencing cramping, you probably don't need to worry about it.

Comment

I was wondering about this as well because I'm on meds that increase your need for potassium. My doctor told me smartwater would be a good choice because it doesn't have any sugar, but I looked for info on it and the electrolytes are practically negligible, haha.

People vary a ton, so I'd suggest experimenting. Try drinking coconut water after a workout and see if you notice any benefits. Carrot juice is also a good source of potassium, so you could put some salt in that. Here's a list of foods and their potassium content so you can come up with other combinations: High Potassium Foods
        I had a few slices of cantaloupe with salt sprinkled on top and it was surprisingly good.

I've been wondering a lot about the need for sodium lately - I've never really craved salty foods, and the only non-naturally occurring sodium in my regular diet comes from mustard a few times a week (and that salted cantaloupe the other day), so I figure my consumption is pretty low, especially compared to the standard. I'm not paranoid about it, but I wonder if adding some high-quality salt would be beneficial. Seems kind of unnecessary since I don't actively desire it, but eh, worth a shot. I just very, very rarely hear of sodium deficiencies on this board so I'm wondering when you'd start to encounter problems. (Then again, a great deal of the members are obsessed with bacon...)

Comment

During intense exercise outdoors in hot and/or humid conditions I have suplemented with a product called Meta-Salts for about the last 10 years. Another good product is called Lava Salts. Everyone is different, but if you want to simply bump the levels up a bit, a single pill can easily do that for you. During long and hot runs/bike rides I can take up to 4 per hour in humidity and 3 per hour in dry conditions.

If you like a little flavor, look at a product called Nuun, its a flavored electrolye tab you drop in water and it flavors it a bit. Be careful though, many of the drop in taqblets are full of artificial ingredients. The one I use is called Nuun Naturals. Sweetended with Stevia. The tangerine ginger is tasty. You can order them ponline or call a local triathlon/running shop in your area, they should have them.

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

I wouldn't put it all down to marketing. It depends on the individual.

I sweat for at least 5 or 6 hours straight, 6 days a week. To make up for that, I have to drink at least a gallon of water, sometimes a gallon and a half, and that's all before I get home from work around 3pm. At that point, you're losing way more than just water.

I've been doing this job for 4 years now, and I always drank something like Gatorade during the summer. The rest of the year I didn't really need it. This year, no Gatorade for me, so I just went with water. Yeah, well THAT was a painful lesson. I drank a Powerade Zero, which made the pain go away, but I felt like crap. So now I make sure I have coconut water on hand and drink it when I know I've been sweating a lot, in conjunction with plain water. It doesn't take a lot.
            Durp.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies
              Height: 6'1"
              Primal start date: July 1st 2011
              Start Weight: 275
              Current Weight: 248
              Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
              Body Fat 25.4%
              Fat Mass 63.721
              Fat Free Mass 74.6%
              Fat Free Mass 187.087
              Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
              Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Comment

Sounds like an extreme situation. I doubt 80% of the people drinking gatorade out there are in THAT situation.

When I lived in Reno I spent a summer digging graves. Pretty much same sweating situation, never needed it. Water, sometimes oj.
                My Fitday public journal.
                Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

I use this stuff. Seems to work pretty good.

Comment

Coconut water.

Comment

Originally posted by DFH View Post
                      I use this stuff. Seems to work pretty good.

Contains Non-GMO maltodextrin. I wonder if it's worth worrying about this because it's negligible in the grand scheme of things.
                      "You can have it all, but how much do you want it?"

Comment

i use concentrace mineral drops in my water. i've always had a problem keeping hydrated. i'm thirsty, but i hate the idea of drinking water. the drops make a difference. i don't really like the taste (it's not bad, and totally dependent on how much you put in your water) but water is much more quenching now.
                        my primal journal:
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Eat red meat. A juicy, tender, fatty steak will do wonders. Add some salt if you like...
                          "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Comment

Originally posted by RezH View Post
                            Coconut water.
                            Seconded.

Comment

Lemon juice and some salt in water

Comment

Working...
                              X