What to eat???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to eat???

I know in the Primal Blueprint we do not count calories but I am just starting out on this amazing journey and have a few questions about nutrition.
    First off I will be using the P90X weight videos for my LHT days. The remainder of the week will be one day of sprinting up this really huge hill in my neighborhood and the rest of the days either playing golf (walking 18 holes no cart involved) and walking or playing with my dog.

My question about nutrition has to do with calories though. Can anyone tell me how many calories I should consume per day.
    I am aiming for around 2300 to 2400. I am trying to stay at around 80 to 90 grams of carbs so the rest will be protein.
    Any input from the rest of the blogging community will be greatly appreciated.
    Colby

Pre Primal
    January 2010
    215 LBS 40 in waist

Today
    170 LBS 36 in waist
    Goal (1) Look Great Naked (and visible abs)
    Goal (2) More defined muscles and functional strength
    Goal (3) Achieving Mastery level in Convict Conditioning

Comment

Mark's Daily Apple Newbies Start Here

Start reading, and welcome!
      Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

Eat until you're no longer hungry, but not until you're stuffed. Try it for a few weeks, if you start gaining weight, cut back a little. You have to experiment to see what works for you.

Also, you said 80-90 carbs and the rest protein....what about fat??
        Last edited by tradawg; 06-28-2011, 01:32 PM.
        $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

I also meant to add Fat.
          Sorry I wrote that kind of quick.
          I am not sure how to reach that caloric goal with that small amount of carbs. i almost have to eat 1.8 grams per pound of body fat in protein and a good bit of fats to reach this.
          I came up with that amount of calories because I am looking to gain weight. I am not as lean as I want to be but I am tired of losing weight. I am 6'3 and weigh 175 lbs. I would like to be at 190 but I also want some lean mass and a low body fat %. Maybe I am tackling this the wrong way.
          Should I just try to lean out now matter how much weight I lose then try to gain weight.
          I do know that the P90X weight training days are pretty intense and can be taxing on your daily caloric intake.
          Colby

Pre Primal
          January 2010
          215 LBS 40 in waist

Today
          170 LBS 36 in waist

Comment

Originally posted by DFH View Post
            Picard facepalm! +1000000000
            I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
            Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
            "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

Originally posted by cmpitre View Post
              I also meant to add Fat.
              Sorry I wrote that kind of quick.
              I am not sure how to reach that caloric goal with that small amount of carbs. i almost have to eat 1.8 grams per pound of body fat in protein and a good bit of fats to reach this.
              I came up with that amount of calories because I am looking to gain weight. I am not as lean as I want to be but I am tired of losing weight. I am 6'3 and weigh 175 lbs. I would like to be at 190 but I also want some lean mass and a low body fat %. Maybe I am tackling this the wrong way.
              Should I just try to lean out now matter how much weight I lose then try to gain weight.
              I do know that the P90X weight training days are pretty intense and can be taxing on your daily caloric intake.
              When you add fat to everything the calories add up quick. But if you're looking to gain, I'm not sure why you want to keep carbs low? Carbs will help you put on mass...eat em up!!!
              $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

cmpitre-

I should explain the Picard face palm above. I was just giving you a hard time. It's my way of saying welcome, noob!

All I can add is put the calculator away. That stuff comes from conventional wisdom nonsense, usually anyway.

Do Primal and eat real, healthy food. Calories are only estimates anyway. When I read sites where people start adding, dividing, and making ratios, it just looks like a bunch of nonsense and I quit reading it.

Comment

Thanks for the hard time DFH. I appreciate it. I know I shouldn't be using the calculator but I just feel I have lost enough weight (not body fat). I really do not want to lose weight but I would love to lose body fat. So I am not sure how to approach this issue. Should I a) lose the body fat then try to put on mass, or b) try to put on mass then lose the extra body fat. Is it possible to do both, especially following the Primal Blueprint.

Tradawg,
                  Are you saying that I should boost up to the 100 to 150 range of carbs.
                  If so should I also boost up the protein from say 1 gram to 1.5 grams per lb of lean mass.

I am looking at the BMR calculator online suggested by Mark as well as using the Harris Benedict activity factor.
                  If my calculations are correct my Total Average Daily Caloric Expenditure is 3,386 calories.
                  Now if I want to stay at the weight I am at but lose body fat should I eat this many calories with about 80 to 100 grams of carbs, 1.5 grams of protein per lb of lean body mass, then the rest made up of fats?

I am lost on what I should do, the examples in the book are about people wanting to lose weight but I am tired of losing weight, I just want to lose body fat and stay at the same weight or even gain some weight.
                  Colby

Pre Primal
                  January 2010
                  215 LBS 40 in waist

Today
                  170 LBS 36 in waist

Comment

Guessing you don't want to mess with a leangains recomp, and all its macro-counting. One of the few proven ways to add muscle/lose fat simultaneously. Slow process though, one I'm doing right now.

If you want to gain weight, eat above your maintenance. Keep carbs around your workouts, low or zero carb at other times. Protein can be anywhere between 1-1.5g per lb, depending on how hungry you are.

One thing you should do is figure out your BF%. If you are still above 12%, lose some more before trying to gain muscle.

Comment

So I guess I will try to take my BF% down first. I am currently at 15% but would like to be around 10% or less.

Once I reach that goal I will see where I stand but I am sure I will want to put on weight, due to the fact that I am not happy with my weight right now.
                      I would like to reach 195 LBS but with the low BF%.

To reach that goal should I increase my protein to be 1.5 per lb for my target lean muscle mass, up my carbs to 100g, and have the rest of my calories coming from fat to reach my daily caloric goal?
                      Colby

Pre Primal
                      January 2010
                      215 LBS 40 in waist

Today
                      170 LBS 36 in waist

Comment

I know in the Primal Blueprint we do not count calories but I am just
                        Where did you get that from? Calorie calculations are used in the book for Korg weight loss examples. I only agree with not counting if your are trying to maintain your weight and have a very keen sense of what is the right amount of food(knowing hunger, fullness, short fasts,etc..). Making any conscious change or note of calories is counting. Adding exercise to drop weight without changing food intake is counting.

And say, if you were to have goal of 10 pounds in 3 months, lost or gained. Yeah, you better be doing some counting.

Comment

I count my calories, but in the beginning of the book he mentions calorie counting is not as important as the macronutrients.
                          I agree with counting both myself.
                          That is the only way I can make my weekly grocery bill is knowing what I am going to eat each day and how many calories and macronutrients will be consumed in each meal.
                          Colby

Pre Primal
                          January 2010
                          215 LBS 40 in waist

Today
                          170 LBS 36 in waist

Comment

I count my calories, but in the beginning of the book he mentions calorie counting is not as important as the macronutrients.
                            I agree with counting both myself.
                            That is the only way I can make my weekly grocery bill is knowing what I am going to eat each day and how many calories and macronutrients will be consumed in each meal.
                            They are only one important part of many other important parts of the equation. And that equation can only be arrived at by knowing and understanding the context as best as possible.

Comment

Work on the BF first. Keep daily carbs between 50-100. If you have an especially tough workout, its okay to eat some clean carbs after. Stay active overall obviously. It should take you a few weeks to drop that much BF unless you are starving yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X