Why Aren't Peanuts Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Aren't Peanuts Primal

I know aflotoxins and what-not, but Peanuts are whole, natural, etc.. And soooo good! Why are they shunned?

Because they're legumes.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

and high in omega 6

Comment

really, a legume? Didn't know that. I'll have to check out the omega 6/3 levels.
        Thanks

Comment

Cashews are a legume also but they're fine.

Comment

Ever try to eat a raw peanut? Not that tasty. They've also got a natural fungus that grows on them that's pretty bad for us.
            Cashews are covered in a skin that's got prickly hairs or oil(can't remember which) that is like poison ivy(they're related)

Neither of these legumes are meant to be eaten in any frequent quantity. I don't believe they are very healthy for our bodies if we were never meant to have them as part of our diet. Just my opinion

Comment

Oh, I love cashews! Why are they better? Less Omega 6? My real reason for this line of questioning is that I can't find anything for breakfast. I'm allergic to dairy, eggs and fish and just can't stomach meat in the AM. I've been doing almond butter on rice cakes this week (I know rice cakes are not so primal either but only 6 grams of carbs) and craving peanut butter. Almond butter looks pretty bad according to the omega 6 char I just found online. Really getting annoyed at the breakfast thing!! Can I just eat cashews and coconut milk?

Comment

Cashews taste insanely good, but watch your intake if you're still trying to lose weight. They're a little higher in carbs (30g/100g serving, versus 16g/100g for macademias and 20g/100g for almonds). Not a big deal, but I seriously can't stop with just a few.
                Durp.

Comment

Thanks for info and suggestions. I've done some chicken in AM but something about meat in the morning just kind of unappetizing. I was doing this recipe i took from someone's blog where I chopped up a ton of nuts and added almond milk and blueberries. But even if I switched to coconut milk I'm afraid I'm over-nutting!

Comment

Cashews taste insanely good
                    Absolutely! I buy them in very small quantity.

Comment

Coconut milk is a good choice. I would make your own. Tastes much fresher.

Sometimes I have leftover warmed chicken with a homemade cranberry sauce on romaine or Boston lettuce wraps. Maybe if you start out small with some meat you'll adapt to it easier.

Comment

Sounds pretty good actually. How do you make the cranberry sauce?

Comment

Cashews aren't legumes. They're a fruit seed. I've seen the trees they grow on.
                          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

What is the Difference Between a Nut and a Legume?

Comment

Peanuts have a lot problems but if you love them then I would not worry about eating 1-2 servings per week.
                              Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X