Yams vs sweet potatos?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yams vs sweet potatos?

I know most primal dieters eat sweet potatos but what about yams? I know they are actually not related at all but are they also okay to eat?

Yes.

The Difference Between Yams and Sweet Potatoes | Mark's Daily Apple
    Steph
    My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Both are really good. I have yet to find a store that sells yams though, and I live in arguably the agricultural center of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
        Both are really good. I have yet to find a store that sells yams though, and I live in arguably the agricultural center of the world.
        Thats odd. My local whole foods has them and illinois basically only grows corn unfortunately.

Comment

Also I have extremely sensitive skin issues with acne, does anyone have experience with acne problems from yams or sweet potatos?

Comment

Yes, they are primal. But it is hard to find true yams, so I have been told. The stuff you see in your supermarket are not true yams, but just varieties of Sweet Potato. The name "yam" and "sweet potato" are used here in the states interchangeably, as my local supermarket mark the orange "sweet potato" as "Orange Yams", and elsewhere as "American Sweet Potato". It is confusing.......

My local Asian Market sells Korean Yams, but in reality, they just another variety of sweet potato. I even asked the owner and he basically had no clue that they was a difference between the two. He told me that it was a Korean variety of Sweet Potato.
            Last edited by Zed; 06-27-2011, 06:44 PM.

Comment

If you see it in the grocery store, it's a sweet potato. Doesn't matter what the little label on it says.

For the record, you aren't buying cantaloupes either, you're buying muskmelons. You pretty much can't get cantaloupes in the US.

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

Comment

Yams come from Africa and are as large as your leg. A fair amount of processing is required to detoxify them, IIRC.

Gordo

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
                  Yams come from Africa and are as large as your leg. A fair amount of processing is required to detoxify them, IIRC.

Gordo
                  What do you mean by this exactly? Theres a lot of toxins in them? Are you saying its not okay to eat yams and sweet potatos?

Comment

Originally posted by kurite View Post
                    What do you mean by this exactly? Theres a lot of toxins in them? Are you saying its not okay to eat yams and sweet potatos?
                    He's talking about real yams, not the "yams" in your whole foods which are actually sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are safe to eat.
                    Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Comment

Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
                      Unrelated, but this post makes me sad. I got into UC Davis but can't afford to go there. FML Tucsonnnnn

Comment

Well i usually eat sweets potatoes and have not eaten yams . So I would not like to give my opinion about yams because I like sweets potatoes and do not know about Yams .

Comment

It is okay to eat yams, but I am certain that most here, including you and I, never actually ate a true yam. What is market in the states as "yams" are nothing more than varieties of the sweet potato.

Comment

Stop over thinking it...just eat the goddamn things! Both of them!!!

Comment

Thats odd. My local whole foods has them and illinois basically only grows corn unfortunately.
                              High probability you are speaking of sweet potatoes. Garnet 'yams' are sweet potatoes. There's a zillion (to be precise) species of sweet potato if you ever wanted to look them up.

Comment

Working...
                              X