Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is leptin reset?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is leptin reset?

    I've seen people talking about this, but I can't find where it's defined through searches. Can someone explain it to me (in laymen's terms, please)?

  • #2
    ...eating 50 grams of protein at breakfast everyday within 30 minutes of rising, eliminating all snacking especially past 730 PM, eating three meals a day, and limiting her carb intake below fifty grams per day for about 6-8 weeks. In my practice, over the last 5 years that is about the bell curve I have seen for most patients to require their regain their signaling back...

    leptin resistance, Dr. Jack Kruse, weight loss, Why is Oprah still obese? | Jack Kruse
    This is the leptin reset everyone has been talking about for a few weeks.

    Comment


    • #3
      ...eating 50 grams of protein at breakfast everyday within 30 minutes of rising, eliminating all snacking especially past 730 PM, eating three meals a day, and limiting her carb intake below fifty grams per day for about 6-8 weeks. In my practice, over the last 5 years that is about the bell curve I have seen for most patients to require their regain their signaling back...

      leptin resistance, Dr. Jack Kruse, weight loss, Why is Oprah still obese? | Jack Kruse


      So, regarding the leptin reset ... I'm assuming that alternating days on the early breakfasts would not work then ? (Likely screw me up even more .... ?)
      I'm at the gym within 25-30 minutes after I am up, 3 days a week ... and I don't eat before I go, especially in the hot weather (prefer not to be throwing up in there !)
      Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.




      Comment


      • #4
        I think this came up before. If you know, or think you need leptin reset, blood chemistry first, exercise second. It's only 6-8 weeks.

        On the carb question, I dunno. Dr Kruse that wrote that is on here and he may answer. He lost a lot of weight himself so he's not one of those people scared of VLC.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DFH View Post
          I think this came up before. If you know, or think you need leptin reset, blood chemistry first, exercise second. It's only 6-8 weeks.

          On the carb question, I dunno. Dr Kruse that wrote that is on here and he may answer. He lost a lot of weight himself so he's not one of those people scared of VLC.
          Can I ask you what reverse T3 is? I read it on your blog... I know what T3 is, but never heard of reverse T3....

          (BTW, I love your stop the madness thyroid post. I've been on thyroid meds for 20 years and have experienced this over and over...)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by IndigoBanshee View Post
            Can I ask you what reverse T3 is? I read it on your blog... I know what T3 is, but never heard of reverse T3....

            (BTW, I love your stop the madness thyroid post. I've been on thyroid meds for 20 years and have experienced this over and over...)
            rT3 is the metabolism-slowing thyroid hormone your body uses in place of T3 in case of famine or starvation. You always hear "Don't do a starvation diet, this wrecks your metabolism." rT3 is what this is about.

            I learned this in 2007 from my thyroid/hormone doc. Just a month ago, I noticed Dr Kruse talking about rT3 as an indicator of leptin resistance on his blog. It's in the book Mastering Leptin too.

            When you have leptin resistance, rT3 is high because your body "thinks" it's starving. The signaling between your fat tissue and brain are messed up.

            The rT3 test is rarely ordered, and that's too bad. Most docs wouldn't know what to do with the results anyway.

            The person who did the "Stop the Thyroid Madness" site had the same issues I did. I was on Synthroid for years, and my rT3 was way high. The theory is that Synthroid (synthetic T4) causes high rT3 in some patients. These patients get huge and docs don't know what to do.

            It could be that leptin is the explanation instead, and no one figured that out yet.

            I got off Synthroid and went to natural T3. Big improvement.

            Comment


            • #7
              It's about all I could do to get them to let me try a combo. Took 20 years. I think they'd show me the door if I asked to just take T3. The combo has made a huge difference in how I feel, though, and it wasn't until I started it that I could lose any weight. I might request a rT3 the next time and let my doctor research it. She is pretty good about that, though she honestly admits thyroid issues aren't her specialty. She was the first one to let me try the combo, though, and that was after 2 endos and 3 primary care doctors refused.

              So, do you think that a leptin reset might help in this case?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by O_O
                Didn't he suggest that for Oprah in particular? She must be well over 200 lbs. Wouldn't being a much lower weight make a difference in protein recommendation?
                The author of Mastering Leptin recommends a 50g protein breakfast also. His number matches Dr Kruse.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by IndigoBanshee View Post
                  It's about all I could do to get them to let me try a combo. Took 20 years. I think they'd show me the door if I asked to just take T3. The combo has made a huge difference in how I feel, though, and it wasn't until I started it that I could lose any weight. I might request a rT3 the next time and let my doctor research it. She is pretty good about that, though she honestly admits thyroid issues aren't her specialty. She was the first one to let me try the combo, though, and that was after 2 endos and 3 primary care doctors refused.

                  So, do you think that a leptin reset might help in this case?
                  Can't hurt.

                  I would read the "What Oprah should do" blog entry and ask yourself if that's you too.

                  Also, if you read "Stop the Thyroid Madness" and said "Hey, that's me too!" I would do the reset.

                  I have been doing it myself just to see. Not much different, but my rT3 hasn't been high either so maybe that's normal.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by O_O
                    Even for someone is about 120 lbs?
                    Unless you are 4'8", I'm not sure why you would be doing the reset. Did you read the blog about what its for?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wow, 50 grams of protein is a lot. About 8 ounces of chicken. Are there restriction on the other two meals in terms of intake or just the low carbs?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        50g isn't hard to get in though. A decent omelette has 70g protein (5 eggs, some pastured cheese, throw down some ham). Even if you use a good quality protein powder and add in some egg whites to whip it fluffy, that's easily 50g too.
                        You just have to be creative.
                        --Trish (Bork)
                        TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
                        http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
                        FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I myself am LOVING the 50 gram breakfasts! because I am always extremely hungry in the morning! For the first time ever, I can make it til lunch without being hungry or snacky! I have lost a little over 3 lbs in the last 5 days after switching from Atkins, where I was stalled.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            ive been doing the reset now for 4 weeks and i believe it is working for me. as of this week i can answer yes to all of dr kruse protocol questions. i have absolutely zero carb cravings and i have complete control of my appetite.

                            the thing about this is once you begin the reset you will notice lunch and dinner you arent as hungry. the big breakfast really makes a difference. 50 grams of protein sounds like a lot but its really not that bad, 4 eggs and some sausage and you are there

                            couple things to remember that i think are very important, 1 no carbs at breakfast, 2 the lower the carbs through out the day the better, i average about 25g, 3 no snacking between meals and especially after dinner, 4 no fruit! and lastly 5 get plenty of sleep

                            if you are at all curious give it a try for a few weeks and see how it goes
                            Primal Chaos
                            37yo 6'5"
                            6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                            current 338lbs 49" waist
                            goal 240lbs 35" waist

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
                              ive been doing the reset now for 4 weeks and i believe it is working for me. as of this week i can answer yes to all of dr kruse protocol questions. i have absolutely zero carb cravings and i have complete control of my appetite.

                              the thing about this is once you begin the reset you will notice lunch and dinner you arent as hungry. the big breakfast really makes a difference. 50 grams of protein sounds like a lot but its really not that bad, 4 eggs and some sausage and you are there

                              couple things to remember that i think are very important, 1 no carbs at breakfast, 2 the lower the carbs through out the day the better, i average about 25g, 3 no snacking between meals and especially after dinner, 4 no fruit! and lastly 5 get plenty of sleep

                              if you are at all curious give it a try for a few weeks and see how it goes
                              Yep, about the same here.

                              I just do enough eggs for breakfast that I am not hungry until lunch, and no carbs. Right now 3 eggs are plenty, and I munch a few walnuts while cooking the eggs. I was mixing in 1/4-1/2 avocado or some shredded cheese, but I cut that out because it was too much food.

                              I have tried a few carbs now and then later in the day but I always wish I didn't.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X