No announcement yet.

1 Week of IF to overcome a plateau.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IF didn't help me to lose BF, but I find it easier to maintain weight and hunger levels with it.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Anyone who doubts the first law of thermodynamics and its applicability to our metabolism should simply stop eating food and see what happens (I'm thinking a cross between Screech and fat bastard).

The reason everyone is overweight is because of overeating (Damn you, Gary Taubes). I know. It sounds crazy.

If you reduce carb intake, you increase satiety through meat (protein) consumption, which is awesome. That's why lowering carb intake is useful in leaning out. If you stop eating a bunch of calorie-dense processed crap, it's going to be hard to overeat. It's also the reason vegans are always scrawny, angry people. They lack the satiety of a proper, gentlemanly meat-based existence.

If you think you can sit around and do shots of heavy cream with your poker friends and still look like Rocky, I congratulate you for being outside, and not subject to, the laws of nature.

The science of IFing is legit, and it's worth a shot.
      Last edited by Meat; 07-04-2011, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Jean Mayer was a well known nutritionist who once said "Obesity, too many people believe, is explained by overeating; actually it should be recognized that this is simply restating the problem in a different way, and reaffirming (somewhat unnecessarily) one's faith in the First Law of Thermodynamics. To 'explain' obesity by overeating is as illuminating a statement as an 'explanation' of alcoholism by chronic overdrinking."

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt3R View Post
          Jean Mayer was a well known nutritionist who once said "Obesity, too many people believe, is explained by overeating; actually it should be recognized that this is simply restating the problem in a different way, and reaffirming (somewhat unnecessarily) one's faith in the First Law of Thermodynamics. To 'explain' obesity by overeating is as illuminating a statement as an 'explanation' of alcoholism by chronic overdrinking."
          But that doesn't negate the validity of the statement that without alcohol one wouldn't be an alcoholic. If we were on a forum for alcoholics trying to get on the good foot, I don't think we'd promote the idea that alcohol isn't what's driving alcoholism, as if it were ok for those folks to continue getting hammered. They need to stop boozing, no matter what initially inspired them to hop right off that wagon.

A lot of people are asking why people eat to excess. It's a nice way to sell books.

People eat too much cause food is awesome. I'd love to dive into a chocolate cake right this instant, but I don't want to be a fatty. My body isn't producing fat-generated hormone signals that tell me to eat chocolate cake, but, damn, I'd love one. And if I didn't recognize that overeating would make me gain weight, I'd be on a strict chocolate cake regimen. That's just pure science.

If people believe that they can eat more calories than they expend and still lose weight (the Gary Taubes' method for surefire fat-bombing), they need to be corrected, whether it's illuminating or otherwise.

With that said, you're right, and your statement is true.
          Last edited by Meat; 07-04-2011, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Ok... I started this thread for advice from people who have had experience good or bad IFing, not to instigate a crossfitesque my ball your ball session!!! For those that have given good tips, I thank you.

So I am IFing, anddddddd it is working at the moment. But like everything else I will adapt to it and I will no longer IF for a number of months.

During my 3 day 24hr and now the 7 day 16hr I feel great. During the last two weeks, I have gained weight, but lean muscle, I have lost FAT: FACT! My performances have increased, DL has increased by 2.5kg which is a 1.25% increase on my 202.5kg (445lbs) at a BW of 83kg (183lbs) giving me a deadlift @247% of my bodyweight for the lift. And I can say categorically that this has happened for all my lifts and athletic endeavours. So for the doubters it worked is working for me. Fact, and the science behind it? I can frankly say I don't give a shit.
            I am an athlete who was losing a bit of his sharpness, ( I am also a former Royal Marine and I am in law enforcement) so the importance of staying sharp is one of life and death, as melodramatic as that sounds it is true. And all I can say is that at the age of 42 and still being on the frontline after 26yrs I will try anything once to stay there, and this is working. Oh I ment to add, I am not in anyway in a calorie deficit I am up on calories so, work that one out calories in calories out boy!!!

I will post a pic on Sunday so people can see it works, but be under no illusions that I am 95/5% compliant. Exercise is religiously done and I am active all day during work. I cycle to work and home, walk the dog etc so my activity levels are above the average guy and in general no feesable for most. So there it is.

More on Sunday.

Comment

Calories in-Calories out. Wars will be fought over this! My thoughts are that the 'calories out' portion is the X-factor. We can calculate the 'calories in' to the microjoule, but who can say how the body uses them? Is the excess stored as fat? Pooped out? Saved as muscle? I think everyone's body handles deficits and surplusses differently according to hormonal reponses of leptin, insulin, cortisol, and probably others not yet discovered. It is very frustrating to hear an authority on nutrition say, 'calories don't matter--eat the right kinds of food and your body will self-regulate towards leanness'. OK, then give me an exact list of the foods I should eat and I will never deviate from this list. But it's never that easy, is it.

I was on a weight-loss roll for several months, then stalled out. Cutting calories didn't make any difference, I toyed with the fat/carbs/prot to no avail. Carbs refeeds were kind of hard to do. Then I started IF'ing about a month ago and started losing weight again. I'm down about 5lbs for the past month after going 3 months of no weight loss. My IF tactic is simply skipping breakfast, eat a huge lunch with little starch and not tracking prot or fat, then an average supper with same criteria. I think I eat more calories now than before I was IF'ing, but I stopped tracking as it made me miserable. I'd like to lose 10 more lbs. But I think I will just keep eating this way the rest of the summer and see where it takes me.

Comment

i agree with someone before, find something to do outside away from the kitchen, something relaxing and low stress activity level, for me that would be out on the lake fishing, then later on cook what you caught or something similar. also i hear that some tea during fasting works well too, but if you want to truly fast then id stay away maybe.

Comment

Gaining muscle while maintaining a lean physique through IFing is what the website leangains.com is about. I've been using the leangains IF approach for over a year now and I won't be changing my ways any time soon.

I would, however, suggest losing the fruit and finding some other kind of primal carbs because you will probably need them given your activity level. Sweet potatoes are awesome and berries (still kind of fruity) are really good as well.
                  http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Working...
                  X