Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many servings of veggies/fruit do you eat a day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by js290 View Post
    It may be more efficient to eat more organ meats than veggies if your hope is to cure yourself with veggies. Veggies are great as garnish. Fruits are good for desert/hydration.
    Thanks, I'll have to try to squeeze more of those in

I realize vegetables are a huge part but I feel as though I have seen a lot of people write, "All I eat is steak and butter and I look great!". Of course that's an exaggeration. Anyway, I think veggies are awesome and they have given me a nice orange color that I actually like!

Flourishing Wellness

Comment

I've been into food and nutrition for five years or so now, and I'm still not sure what really constitutes a "serving." The simple answer is "a lot." Every meal I eat has vegetation in it; mostly leafy greens in the summer (much too hot for anything but salads). I like nightshades a lot, too, especially tomatoes. Tonight's dinner consisted of a burger (local, grassfed patties) with some big ol' romaine lettuce leaves for buns and a good deal of kimchi. I'll have some strawberries (I managed to make it to the farmer's market this weekend and had a bit of a field day) for dessert.

Comment

I generally consider about 1 cup a "serving" to keep it simple.

Currently I eat 3-5 servings of veggies, and 1-2 servings of fruit.

Comment

Normally I have a big salad for lunch with 1-2 cups mixed greens, 1/2 cup steamed broccoli slaw, half an avocado and a mini cucumber. Sometimes I'll sub out the cucumber or broccoli slaw for some orange or yellow pepper slices or half a tomato.

Today, I had a coconut/almond milk smoothie instead with a small banana and 2 huge strawberries. Mid afternoon I had a plum.

Dinner was roast beef with steamed broccoli and cauliflower, about 1/2 a steamed carrot and a small potato. Sometimes I'll have half a spaghetti squash, asparagus, a sweet potato or another salad. Yesterday I splurged and had corn on the cob. I figure it wasn't too 'grainy' because it was young and sweet enough for me to eat the kernels raw

Oh, and I also had about 3/4 of a cup of berries for dessert.
          Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
          Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
          CW: 146.8 lbs
          GW 140 lbs
          A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
            I generally consider about 1 cup a "serving" to keep it simple.

Currently I eat 3-5 servings of veggies, and 1-2 servings of fruit.
            This is a typical day for me, as well.

Comment

Not meat meat meat. Nutrients, nutrients, fat! I also have never found "serving" to be a useful term. Are you serving a 6'5" European or a 4'5" Ecuadorean?

On a typical day I consume a glass of coconut milk, a handful of pecans, a red pepper, two or three zucchini, a few huge leaves of collard greens or kale, some canned green beans, a green apple or two, an avocado and sometimes a cantaloupe. And, if available, some natural turkey slices cured with celery juice. That's morning and workday. Dinner is where I eat somewhere around a pound of meat. It might be liver, turkey, or bone marrow, or just some grass-fed beef. This is the norm, but there are deviations when things become affordable. And I eat seasonally, so I bought a container of blueberries this week. Not something I'd eat every week! But a fine bit of color in the short run.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I know primal is all MEAT MEAT MEAT!!!! But I'm curious... how many servings of veggies and fruit do you guys eat a day? I have a acute/chronic illness and I am hoping the many many veggies I eat will help me heal. I would say I eat anywhere from 7-10 veggies and 0-2 servings of fruit (fruit is usually berries or green apples). I also try to eat raw veggies. I do buy into raw plants are better than cooked. While you are answering that...what do you think? raw or cooked?
                Lately I have been eating one higher sugar fruit such as an apple or banana and two types of berries typically wild blueberries and raspberries each measuring about 115g. For veg my salads contain about 5 cups with a variety of leafy greens, tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, onions and cucumber. I also have 2-3 140g portions of non starchy veg such as brussel sprouts, kale or cauliflower....

I like to have some raw and cooked. Some may be better raw while others such as tomatoes or spinach are better cooked. And then having tomatoes with spinach helps with the absorption of the non-heme iron.

Oh I forgot the daily half to whole avocado.

Comment

About raw vv cooked - depends on the plant. Some good things are destroyed by heat/ dissolved away into cooking water, some (like betacarotene in carrots) are made far more available by cooking. I just eat lots of both and don't worry about it.

Comment

I try to eat 3 to 4 cups of greens daily and then I have 2 servings (or more if I want them) of another veggie at dinner.
                    I like my veggies raw and cooked.

I rarely eat fruit because I am in weightloss mode ut if I do have a craving then I have blueberries, raspberries or blackberries.

Comment

Well, I eat veg w/breakfast (sauted mushrooms, yellow squash, garlic) w/sausage. I eat all veggies/fat for lunch (BAS of spinach leaf variety w/olive oil vinagrette +/- avocado, tomato, peppers, cucumbers, onions, radishes, etc), and a nice serving of meat for dinner w/more veggies. I try to eat them with every meal to some degree. I try to skip breakfast, but in truth I am not very good at IF'ing it just doesn't do wonders for my moods.

I eat fruit, I try not to eat much of it, but I sure do eat it. Berries, plus some carbier ones frequently but not every day.

Its not all about meat, its about "a wreckless amount of veggies", moderate meat, moderate to high fat, low carb (vs. the SAD).

Comment

I eat 4-8 servings of veggies (a serving being 1/2 cup cooked or 1 cup raw veggies) and 0-2 fruits per day. I've been eating a lot of strawberries lately. They taste like candy this time of the year.

Comment

Veggies? Unlimited non starchy veggies. Some days more than others, depending on recent shopping trips and budget.

I am still trying to lose weight, so I limit fruit to 2 times a week.

I don't believe in vlc (in most cases).

Joanne
                          In the midst of a mid-life-chrysalis

My Blog

Comment

is salad a vegetable?
                            Primal Chaos
                            37yo 6'5"
                            6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                            current 338lbs 49" waist
                            goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment