Insects!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insects!

I'm very new to the PB life. I've been removing all non-PB items from my kitchen (by eating them ) over the past two weeks and am now down to the basics (on a budget) and loving it.

When preparing dinner yesterday evening a small insect scuttled out of the broccoli. I instantly (instinctually) squashed and removed it. Less than a second after this event I was thinking "I wonder what that would have tasted like?" and was actually hoping for another one to appear so I could try it.

I burst out laughing and wondered if that episode allows me full entry to the PB Club?

Doesn't hurt to try... Remember, hunter-gatherers would/will collect bugs to supplement their diets.
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Comment

I ate a scorpion in Singapore. It was fried on a cracker. It tasted like a fried cracker.

Comment

I'd have to be really, really hungry to eat bugs. Either that or be with a group that was eating them; I think that would be a major psychological component of getting over the gag reflex.

Comment

I wish I wasn't taught to be grossed out by bugs. I know that they are a natural part of my diet.

When I did an extended green juice fast, I didn't wash my veggies and I'm 99% sure I drank quite a bit of bug juice - haha
          I still couldn't pick one up and crunch it, though.

Comment

I'm a mealworm farmer. They're interesting. Not tons of flavor, but a neat little treat. It takes a lot of bugs to make a meal, however.

FWIW... they do taste better cooked.

Comment

It won't hurt to try. Just make sure it isn't poisonous. You have to know what you're eating. Go outside, collect a couple dozen bugs--grasshoppers, earthworms, catepillars--go on the internet, so a visual search on them on a bug website (maybe something like bugguide.net) and do a 'poison check'. After that, eat away at any non poisonous bugs!

But the golden rule of bug eating: do not eat any brightly-colored bugs. They are almost certainly poisonous.

Edit: I'd only suggest doing this is your own backyard though and only if you don't spray your yard with pesticides or herbicides. Also, here's an awesome article from Mark about insects: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/edible-bugs/
              Last edited by Aly; 06-25-2011, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I ate lots of mosquitoes as a child, just because it grossed out my friends. (yeah, I was that kind of a kid - and to make it worse, I *still* do it, and I'm nearly 39). They don't taste like anything. The Bug Zoo here has lots of insect-based treats but they all have sugar in them so I don't eat them.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                  I'm a mealworm farmer. They're interesting. Not tons of flavor, but a neat little treat. It takes a lot of bugs to make a meal, however.

FWIW... they do taste better cooked.
                  I wanted to thank you for the info you gave me on starting a farm, the worms I got from the petshop are mostly adult beetles now, in a couple of months I'll have my own supply of bugs! Yay! Even the wife is starting to get on board and she said she would at least taste them.

Comment

Thinkgeek has their toasted giant leafcutter ants on sale right now.
                    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
                    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
                    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

I ate a couple bugs today at a race... basically tasteless and crunchy.
                      My Fitday public journal.
                      Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                      Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                      Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

I fried and ate a big cicada during the 13 year cicada invasion that happened in May here in TN. It was crunchy and nutty and not gross at all
                        http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cal. View Post
                          When preparing dinner yesterday evening a small insect scuttled out of the broccoli. I instantly (instinctually) squashed and removed it. Less than a second after this event I was thinking "I wonder what that would have tasted like?" and was actually hoping for another one to appear so I could try it ...)
                          LOL. Only if it was organic broccoli ...

To be honest, I'm not sure about the extent to which insects can accumulate pesticide residues. One hopes the vegetables weren't sprayed too close to harvesting, but then what's the turnover in the insect? And could it have come in from somewhere that had been recently sprayed?

Traditionally, they starved snails, which was intended to get around the problem that they might have eaten toxic plants. So there is this whole issue of what your creepy crawly may have ingested in the form of natural, or industrial, poisons.

But if you know the land it's come from is clean—and, of course, that it's the kind of insect you know is edible—then bon appetit.

Comment

Originally posted by Winterbike View Post
                            I wanted to thank you for the info you gave me on starting a farm, the worms I got from the petshop are mostly adult beetles now, in a couple of months I'll have my own supply of bugs! Yay! Even the wife is starting to get on board and she said she would at least taste them.
                            You're welcome! That's really cool that your wife is being a good sport about it. I think she'll like them.

I have a few cups of mealworms in need of using, so I think it's time to bake again. Mealworm brownies I think. If your wife likes to bake, that would be a great way to incorporate them!

Comment

Working...
                            X