No announcement yet.

Seizures, epilepsy, and a natural solution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only just reading this thread but really benefitted from it...

Video games can also spark seizure activity---which could have been part of my story at 14 years old! I'm vowing to go back to sugar free caffeine free and as close to a ketogenic diet as possible. I think it's easier to be in ketosis when you have a definite REASON.
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by solstice View Post
      Only just reading this thread but really benefitted from it...

Video games can also spark seizure activity---which could have been part of my story at 14 years old! I'm vowing to go back to sugar free caffeine free and as close to a ketogenic diet as possible. I think it's easier to be in ketosis when you have a definite REASON.
      Yes, this and florescent lights too which might have been the OP's problem at the gym (?)

Comment

i didnt know that about fluorescent lights---I changed those out in my kitchen but would like to get away from all of them in my house...that could be a battle with hubby though who is into energy savings.
        Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
        http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by solstice View Post
          i didnt know that about fluorescent lights---I changed those out in my kitchen but would like to get away from all of them in my house...that could be a battle with hubby though who is into energy savings.
          Some of those new compact florescent bulbs they have are not as bad as the old "industrial" kind. It's all about the flicker factor.

Comment

Hey
            Just seen this thread had re-emerged and thought I'd comment as it seemed timely.

I was diagnosed with epilepsy in 2011 after two massive Tonic Clonic's and put on Keppra. Along with that I took a B multi, Vit D, magnesium when I needed help sleeping and kept to a low carb diet, with lots of coconut oil and fats. I basically was back to living a normal life (although you never quite let go of the fear of seizures). This year has already seen me backpacking for a months through South America, surfing, lifting the heaviest I'd ever done, commuting 8 miles to work (pretty hair raising in London...) and just booked a week snowboarding.

I still had the odd glass of wine, 80% dark chocolate, and a couple of cups of coffee a week. I have gradually moved from low carb to having the occasional sweet potato or carrot, to eventually taking in about 100g carbs a day. About 98% clean, primal food.

Unfortunately, I had my first seizure in almost 2 years last weekend. Followed by another two during the week. They weren't as voilent as the ones I had in 2011 and I didn't lose consciousness. Just control of my body, inability to speak, shaking/jerking.

I'm so upset as I've never missed a dose of Keppra and felt like I was really doing well. Now my dose has been doubled and I'm going through all the nasties of adjusting to more meds in my system. I have no idea what caused this relapse. All I know is that I'm cutting out all caffeine, alcohol and carbs as of today. And canceling my snowboarding trip.

I'm determined to find out what triggered this set of seizures, but really it could be a million things.
            It's good to know that there are a few of you in the primal community that are doing well.

x

Comment

Catparade, I'm so sorry. Yes, the booze, caffeine, and all fake chemical additives such as MSG, fake sweeteners, etc. have got to go. I think cutting the carbs back to serious ketosis is also a good idea.

Just for an update. I have been able to reduce my Phenobarbitol by 25% while having 0 seizures as long as I stay in ketosis most of the time. I'm hoping to cut back a bit more soon.

So, use the meds to get stabilized, then get a good long term keto eating program down cold, zero cheats. Maintain that for a while until you feel ready to back off the meds.

Ketosis really is medicinal to those of us who have these weirdly wired brains. But remember that keto is not just about cutting the carbs but also about having enough fat in the diet.

I've been adding MCT oil lately. It is supposed to be highly ketogenic.
              Last edited by Paleobird; 03-10-2013, 08:18 PM.

Comment

I'm curious if there are any updates for this thread, for those with seizures? Are you dilligent with keto diet?
                Here's my update..i had my first seizure in 2006 at age 27. The seizure occurred one day at work, i hadnt eaten all day and only had coffee, I remember feeling awful and the next thing I remember i woke up in an ambulance. At first I had about one seizure per year but then about 4 yrs ago they became more frequent (I wasn't on any meds during that time, I only started meds 1.5 yrs ago). I also started the paleo eating 1.75 yrs ago, and paleo helped me lose some weight and the annoying constant brain fog I had.
                I've been stable for the most part, do get monthly dizzy spells (partials?), but no grand mal lately. Just curious...

Comment

Working...
                X