Bulking Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulking Question

Has anyone following the Primal Diet been able to add mass without adding body fat. Most bodybuilders bulk and add muscle/fat then cut for contests. I'm no bodybuilder and that's conventional "wisdom" talking I'm currently trying to bulk up through the winter but would like to hover around 12%bf.

Also what does your typical bulking diet look like?

I'm 32, 5'11, 186lbs right now at 12%bf and workout before lunch if it matters.

Thanks!

Arthur

I am overweight and have been gaining tons of muscle mass while losing body fat. I switch off between kettlebelling, dumbells, and body weight exercises. Probably only for 15-20 minutes a day.

My normal diet consists of lots of eggs, chicken, steak/bacon, olive oil, coconut oil, animal fat, vegetables, whole fat yogurt, and probably a teaspoon of honey every other day or so. Also, a smidgeon of dark chocolate every night. Pretty simple and mostly Primal.

Comment

Gaining muscle/losing fat is easier if you are a teenager, never worked out before or very overweight. (how overweight are you talking about).

If none of those apply, then I'm hoping I can do the same. my diet is the same as yours execpt i do dairy and almonds.

Comment

Well I suppose 20 is close enough to teen. I'm probably ~40 lbs overweight. My goal is to be around 190-200 with muscle. I'm also 5'11".

I probably started working out intensely over the past month but it's not like I've never been to the gym before and bulked up. Even when I was SAD.

Comment

Good luck man... sounds like you're doing good.

I think our situations are pretty different though...

Comment

PB is not for bulking. It will be hard to bulk without grains and milk. Oats and lots of full fat milk have proven to be the best way to bulk up. bodybuilding.com will be better than this website if you want to know about bulking.

Comment

You can bulk just fine on PB.

I've gained a little over 15 pounds in 4 months.

Minimal bodyfat gain if any at all.

-Sean

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

What was your diet like sean? can you list out a typical days?

Comment

Forget what the troll says, you can build muscle just fine on PB. I *know* Mark did a post on hardgainers but I don't have it handy from my phone. Can someone find this?

Comment

I read it but it didn't really list out the "best" PB diet for bulking and it did not touch on fat gain as well. Just seeing if someone had experience on this topic so I don't have to go by trial and error...

I'm not really a hard gainer but just want to be careful and not gain too much fat in the process... trying to be efficent.

Comment

Can you bulk up on a primal diet? Yes, most likely? Is it the easiest and most efficient way to do it? No, definitely not. Ask anyone that is a body builder or trains body builders. These people know the most about bulking...and you can see the results. If you go to bodybuilding.com, I can guarentee you will find tons of people that are bigger and more muscular than anyone on this website. Is it good for long term health? That is debatable. But for bulking, they know what they are talking about. If you don't recognize that body builders would know how to bulk the best, then you are obviously very bright.

Comment

I've spent many hours on bodybuilding.com and in the forums, reading, researching, etc.

Many of those people have no idea what they're doing, and just cause fights, bicker, debate over nothingness.

That being said, there's lots of good info in there too if you sift through most of the junk.

Many of the people on bodybuilding.com advocate the whole bulk/cut routine, which is (I think) generally a good idea.

But many of them do it sloppy, and they do technically "bulk" but they also put on much more bodyfat than they needed to.

Then they end up losing a lot of their gains by cutting too hard.

I know I've been there before.

And many of the people on bodybuilding.com take sketchy supplements as well.

It isn't always the best place to get good advice unless you know what to filter out.

How did I gain 15 pounds?

Just by eating about 500 calories over my maintainance calories and keeping my protein generally high (somewhere around 1 gram per pound of lean weight.)

-Sean

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

bobbylight,

A few things to consider about bodybuilding.com in terms of their success at bulking compared to your average PB follower.

1. I suspect a good deal of the people you see posting about huge muscle gains on that site are leaving out a few of their...ahem..."supplements"

2. There may also be some self-selection going on, in that people who are naturally adept at building muscle are more likely to visit a site called bodybuilder.com than they are marksdailyapple.com

That said, I've spent some time on the site, and as Sean commented, there's a lot of good info to be gleaned from it if you can separate the wheat from the considerable chaff.

Personally, I'm a hard-gainer(6,1 - 140lbs - 12-14% body fat) and have been doing the Body By Science Big 5 workout for the past six months with no measurable change in muscle size or body fat, despite impressive strength gains. I'm just now starting to significantly increase my calorie intake and adding some tubers to see if that makes a difference.

Comment

heres that link:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gain-weight-build-muscle/

you can bulk fine on the PB.

all it comes down to is upping calories and workout carbs. which can easily be done with whole foods.

there is nothing magical about oats and milk. they are just easy sources of kcals and carbs

Comment

Potatoes. Just remember this: you need carbs; for bodybuilding, that is.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                              ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Working...
                              X