No announcement yet.

Bulking Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm bulking and losing body fat on close to zero carb. Justin and bazt are correct. You don't NEED any carbs.

Muscles do use glycogen for heavy lifting. They can easily get this from dietary protein.

Most days I eat one meal of about 2lb of meat. I eat an additional morning snack of meat on the days after exercise, as I get hungry earlier (no surprises there, as I am replenishing energy stores).

I strength train 2-3 times a week for 40 mins.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

Exactly... that means you would need a LOT more protein to compensate. Otherwise most of the protein you consume will be converted into glucose. I think that that's a waste.

So okay, you don't neeeeeeed carbs. But they help a lot. Especially for those who can't eat 2 pounds of meat a day.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
      ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

I&#39;m also bulking and losing a little body fat on less than 50 carbs a day. I&#39;ve been a member of bodybuilding.com for a long time, and I used to be a big fan of the bulk/cut cycle, mostly by eating globs of peanut butter, milk, and oats. I&#39;ve done the post-workout of dextrose to spike the insulin, as well.

All it did was put a spare tire around my waist and pass toxic gas.

Fast forward 4 years, found the MDA site and instantly thought that this can work. I&#39;ve done IF, so this wasn&#39;t totally new to me. But I have to say, I&#39;ve never felt better since going PB. My strength is way up, and set a PR of 265 lbs on my deep back squats.

My muscles are stronger and denser, not soft from the excess carbs. Went from a 34" waist to a 32, while putting on 11 lbs. I have to say that PB definitely works for me...

Comment

Okay. Now I&#39;m interested.

How do you do it? What do you eat??

Comment

@Arthur

Down another 2%! Awesome job!

Re carbs...

You don&#39;t need any more carbs than than 100-150/day.

Do not go lower unless you want your lifts to suffer.

Re gains...

This is mostly determined by genetics but can be augmented by diet. The easiest way is to increase calories until you start to gain muscle. Some people will start to gain more fat than muscle and some less.

Of course as mentioned if you are not doing the right workout you will just get fat.

Also keep in mind that in the BB community 100-150 g of carbs is considered a very low carb youwillneverbulkbrah diet. They consume this amount in 1 "meal" during a bulk. In this forum, for some reason, 150 carbs is a high carb ZOMGyouaregonnadie diet even though Mark recommends even higher for athletes.

When you are done either camp can argue with the abs. Booyah!

Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

What chima_p said!

He is the one that really convinced me to add the carbs. :P

Comment

Hahhahhhah I love it "youwillneverbulkbrah"

Hahahhah!

-Sean

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

I have never bulked up as quickly as I have with PB. I lost fat too and I wasn&#39;t really obese to begin with - right around 20%

Comment

I&#39;m gaining on all my lifts on almost zero carb, so I don&#39;t see why you need >100g of carbs.

This also means I can get all of the calories and protein that I need, without putting on any body fat (I&#39;m getting leaner).

I thought getting stronger and leaner at the same time would be a better result than trying to balance carbs and training &#39;just right&#39; so you don&#39;t get fat??

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
                    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )

Comment

I would think fat burning would be easier after a VLC or ZC bulk since the body is already used to using fat as energy.

Comment

I&#39;ve been doing experimenting with the +/-0 carb thing for a couple of months now and besides feeling better overall, i&#39;ve noticed that (so far) my workouts haven&#39;t suffered.

Granted, it&#39;s been a few years since I did any consistent heavy lifting, so it&#39;s possible some of my gains are merely me getting back to where I used to be.

Regardless, I&#39;ve noticed more definition (life-long skinny fat build here) than I&#39;ve seen in a LONG time.

Comment

I&#39;m keeping the carbs constant at about 100g/day and just adding a extra protien/fat meal in for bulking... been about a week so will report back in a month and let you know how it&#39;s going...

Comment

@Tarlach

Because,

A number 1 you are getting your glucose from over consumption of protein.

A number 2 you still have above 15% BF.

B number 1 you are still a fairly new (less than a year) at lifting weights.

C number 1 you are a freak who can eat 2-3lbs of meat in a day! (freak in a good way :P)

Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

Yes I get my glucose from protein. Anyone can.

I have roughly 11% BF

I spent three years lifting weights while eating a lot of carbs, protein shakes and creatine. I just got fat.

I&#39;m getting much better gains on ZC.

2lb of t-bones also has some bone and I don&#39;t eat that much every day. I&#39;m over 6&#39; so I should be eating a decent amount.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Comment

Well, keep in mind that not everyone can afford 3 pounds of meat a day, let alone grass-fed/pastured...

Comment

Working...
                                X