In defense of Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In defense of Primal

Article on abcnews.com about US News ranking Primal diet last and how there is proof (studies) that it does work ...love the support!

Caveman Diet Gets Online Support - ABC News
    Last edited by vFox; 06-22-2011, 07:39 AM.

Nice find. It's pretty cool to see such a response about that list.
    My name is Matt and I am a Beef Jerky Wizard.
    www.greenlightjerky.com

Comment

Here's a great money quote from the article (results ALWAYS win over claims, in my book):

On the U.S. News and World Report rankings Paleo diet page, more than 3,000 people said the diet had worked for them, while 80 said it did not. Compare that to the No. 1-ranked diet, Weight Watchers, in which 1,883 people said the diet worked for them and nearly 800 people said it did not.
      So, 97% of all people asked said that Primal worked for them, and 3% did not, compared to 70% who claim that WW worked for them and 30% who said it did not. Yup.
      Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

too bad the video does not relate to the article. Some lady talking about the dash diet that was invented by scientists... I would of e-mailed this article to a few of my friends but i worry they will only watch the video and not read the article.

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
          Here's a great money quote from the article (results ALWAYS win over claims, in my book):

So, 97% of all people asked said that Primal worked for them, and 3% did not, compared to 70% who claim that WW worked for them and 30% who said it did not. Yup.

This.
          I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Comment

It's really unfortunate that there is so much contention with Paleo philosophy. People are just to attached to what they hear from the media other sources about what is "healthy". They never take the extra step to investigate what actually is healthy.

And it's also unfortunate that Weight Watchers just has so much clout because they are a huge corporation with all of those branded products and weighing centers and commercials.
            My blog - FitandFree.net - Live Healthy. Be Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by vFox View Post
              Article on abcnews.com about US News ranking Primal diet last and how there is proof (studies) that it does work ...love the support!

Caveman Diet Gets Online Support - ABC News
              Thanks, interesting.

Nice to see this old chestnut:

"Of course, if people did that much physical activity, they probably wouldn't be obese in the first place," Ayoob said.
              it's become the fallback excuse from the current dietary establishment—once they grasp that despite having filled the supermarkets full of low-fat produce and having brainwashed the public into buying it, the public are fatter then ever.

Not that (appropriate) physical activity isn't good for people, but lack of it isn't the reason for obesity. Eskimo women used to sit indoors most of the time throughout the winter, and do a fair bit of nibbling at food by all accounts. But they weren't obese on their traditional diet.

Comment

BTW, I can't resist adding that that Katz bloke is utterly ridiculous. Someone posted a piece of his here recently that was bad enough, but this one tops it.

"The meat our Stone Age ancestors ate is nothing like the meat we eat today," said Katz. "When's the last time you saw a mammoth? I rest my case."

... it's easy to turn the concept of Stone Age-style eating into an excuse for hamburgers, and that certainly won't do your health any good."
                I mean if he'd said Arctic hare or something ... since people did also eat small game. But is this low-fat obsessive trying to tell us there wouldn't have been much fat on a mammoth?

There's an account somewhere in Frederick Courteney Selous's writings of Africans dealing with an elephant carcase. They actually get inside it and chop out lumps of fat with axes and the like. When you can chop fat out with a hand-tool, that's a decent quantity of fat for culinary, and other, uses. And it won't go off in a hurry.

Comment

I love how they say they need "more scientific evidence" before they can say the Paleo diet "works" but yet they have been advocating the SAME CW DIET for years upon years now and the problem just continues to get worse! Isn't that the definition of insanity? Continuing to do something the same way expecting different results? The fact the grains and lowfat yogurt aren't working is proof enough to me that the Paleo diet DOES work. How can you argue with biology and evolution?

And I love how some obvious vegetarian girl posted a comment "meat rots in our stomachs...we can eat anything, our bodies aren't these delicate things." I wanted to say "well if they aren't these delicate things, why do you care about meat rotting your stomach or not?" GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
                  && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

Comment

And the award for the "Facepalm Comment of the Day" goes to the author of this gem: "If Stone Age people were so healthy, why are they all dead now?"

Comment

And here is a truly thoughtful comment from a vegan/vegetarian of all things, I can't believe it:

How much you eat IS important, but so is WHAT you eat; that old myth about "there is no bad food" is bunk...there ARE "bad" foods and "good" ones. Many conventionally trained dieticians will also tell you there is no difference between the sugar in an orange and the sugar in a Coke. They are the ones who design the meals in hospitals and yet studies have shown that many to most patients emerge from hospitals MALNOURISHED after subsisting on those diets for a while. I've been a vegetarian or vegan for 16 yrs. (though in the last few yrs. I've started eating fish now and then, so technically now a "pesca-vegetarian) and even I can see why this diet, even including meat, is close to ideal. Cut out the refined, processed JUNK and the dairy and you eliminate 90% of the negative effects. We know now that the saturated fats in meat are FAR healthier than the hydrogentated fats in so many processed foods.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynnsey View Post
                        And here is a truly thoughtful comment from a vegan/vegetarian of all things, I can't believe it:
                        This reinforces my belief that all of us real food eaters need to stick together..even if some of them only eat what our food eats
                        I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
                        Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
                        "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

Dr. David Katz is such an ill-informed dogmatists. I had to stop following him on twitter when he made a rambling blog post about how the e-coli outbreak could not possibly be caused by vegetables (no reason given) and that we should look at meat, because of course it has to be meat (no reason given). And then we find out it was bean sprouts. Not that conventional meat doesn't pose problems, but he isn't a coherent thinker and isn't intellectually curious.

"
                          Dr. David L. Katz, director of the Yale University Prevention Research Center, was on the 22-person panel. While he did not personally rank the Paleo diet last in the overall weight-loss category, he did raise several issues about what the diet actually means. He noted that our Stone Age ancestors gathered more than hunted by most accounts, and had a mostly plant-based diet.
                          "The meat our Stone Age ancestors ate is nothing like the meat we eat today," said Katz. "When's the last time you saw a mammoth? I rest my case."
                          While Katz said the idea behind it is indeed a good one, in this day and age, it could easily be misinterpreted.
                          "It is the dietary pattern to which we are adapted -- our native diet -- and as such, almost certainly informative about what's good for us," Katz said. "But ... it's easy to turn the concept of Stone Age-style eating into an excuse for hamburgers, and that certainly won't do your health any good.""

Okay so he says that they ate a mostly "plant-based" diet which is dubious and depends upon which hunter-gatherers we're talking about, there is variance amongst tribes. They all ate more meat than Katz eats but he won't acknowledge that, of course. He says that it is plant-based but yet they ate mammoth. How is a tribe that kills a mammoth going to be eating a "plant-based" diet, exactly? Also "gathered" doesn't necessarily mean plant. Many studies call turtles, bugs, shellfish, snakes, and even birds "gathered".

He says that the meat we eat today is nothing like the meat that hunter-gatherers and cites mammoths as an example. That might come close if mammoths were the only thing our ancestors ate. They ate quite a bit of wild bovine, horned critter on 4 legs like deer, fish, and pretty much anything they got their hands on. Grass-fed beef is a food that our ancestors would have been eating or have been eating something similar to it. Also I would love to see Katz go into the science of exactly how mammoth meat is so biologically different than grass-fed beef, lamb or bison. It was bigger, does that make a big difference? Then he says that paleo might just be an excuse to eat hamburgers, which of course aren't good for us! Actually hamburgers have a white bread bun (not paleo) all fast-food hamburgers have trans-fats (not paleo), ketchup (not paleo although I'm not giving up mine) and are served with vegetable oil-cooked fries (not paleo) and soda (no paleo), so nobody is using paleo as an excuse to eat hamburgers. This all begs the question if he doesn't mean the extra junk added to the hamburger because paleo is saying that beef is healthy, so wagging your finger and saying that it is just a rationalization to eat beef is inane and circular as a criticism of paleo. Ask ANY paleo author or leader what they think of good-quality ground beef.

I have nothing against "plant-based" diets that make a point to get the important animal-foods in, you could call my diet "plant-based" at 80% plants, I just think I have a vendetta against this guy
                          Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

The Yahoo main page linked to this again... the US News & World Report rankings, that is. What happened to the online support? It is now:
                            Did this diet work for you? Yes 4834 No 23692

Really?

For some reason, I have a hard time believing 23,000+ people found that the paleo diet didn't work for them. Mostly because the vast majority of people I know wouldn't even consider trying it. Part of the anti-paleo movement, I suppose. I did get called "part of a cult" this weekend, by someone who told me I need to eat whole grains and try the DASH diet because I'm not yet at my goal weight. Ugh.
                            Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

Wow! I have a really hard time believing that those numbers could possibly be true either.
                              Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                              Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                              CW: 146.8 lbs
                              GW 140 lbs
                              A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Working...
                              X