Saving bacon fat???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving bacon fat???

We love when I cook broccoli in bacon fat at lunch when I made bacon in the morning, but how do you all go about saving it for later? So you just put it in a jar in the fridge or...? Thanks for the help.

i pour mine in a metal bowl and leave it on the counter if i plan on using it that week.

more than a cup gets thrown away i am afraid. but i dont eat bacon like i used too
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Yup yup...jar in the fridge. My bacon fat is in a pickle jar, my duck fat is in a jar from roasted red peppers, and my tallow is in a mason jar. I try to keep and reuse any good jar as food storage!

Comment

Both on the counter and in the frig. I buy meal cannisters with a good gasket seal (Amazon.com: Oggi 4 Piece Stainless Steel Canister Set with Airtight Acrylic Lid and Clamp: Kitchen & Dining). Bacon fat does not go bad for a long time, so I keep some at the ready, and then over-flow in frig or freezer.
        This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
        Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

In a lidded metal container in the fridge.

Comment

I keep mine in a coffee mug in the fridge...just like my mom used to. I know it's not Primal and I don't eat it anymore, but popcorn popped in bacon fat is a slice of heaven.
            www.ohcrappottytraining.com
            This isn't what I wanted to be when I grew up; a potty trainer.
            I wanted to be a pirate. Well. You know how that goes.

Comment

Bacon fat is one thing I don't save. Bacon, for me, is a condiment, not a food. I'd much rather cook with beef tallow, coconut oil, or lamb fat.
              Warning: I'm the most laid-back primal gal you'll ever meet.

Comment

I strain it through a paper towel into an old jelly jar and store it at the back of the fridge.

Comment

S_Jones: Why strain it? I like having all that good bacon flavor. Of course, I don't re-use fat I've cooked something in; just the rendered fat from the actual bacon cooking.
                  Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Mason jar in the fridge. I knew there was a reason I was saving all those empty jars of Green Mountain Gringo salsa (best non-homemade salsa I've ever tasted, by the way).

Comment

Originally posted by TriCiCi View Post
                      Yup yup...jar in the fridge. My bacon fat is in a pickle jar, my duck fat is in a jar from roasted red peppers, and my tallow is in a mason jar. I try to keep and reuse any good jar as food storage!
                      Where is the duck fat coming from? *drool*

Comment

Originally posted by rayout View Post
                        Where is the duck fat coming from? *drool*
                        +1
                        I've been trying to find out what animal duck fat comes from for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                          S_Jones: Why strain it? I like having all that good bacon flavor. Of course, I don't re-use fat I've cooked something in; just the rendered fat from the actual bacon cooking.
                          I've heard that the little meat particles that don't get strained out can cause the fat to go bad after a while. I don't think it's a problem if you're using it within a week or so, but I seem to accumulate it a lot quicker than I can use it, so mine gets stored for quite a while. I find that the fat still holds a nice touch of bacon flavor when strained.

Comment

Mason jar on the counter.

Duck fat - I buy a whole duck and roast it on occasion. I keep the fat from the roasting pan and render down any left over skin and excess fat once the meat is stripped from the carcas. You can get a cup or so from most ducks.

Comment

Originally posted by Styrofoam Jones View Post
                              I've heard that the little meat particles that don't get strained out can cause the fat to go bad after a while. I don't think it's a problem if you're using it within a week or so, but I seem to accumulate it a lot quicker than I can use it, so mine gets stored for quite a while. I find that the fat still holds a nice touch of bacon flavor when strained.
                              I use a plain strainer or my tea strainer, and then eat up those tasty bits on the spot.
                              This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                              Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Working...
                              X