Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAW egg protein shakes? Breakfast HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RAW egg protein shakes? Breakfast HELP!

    I have a hard time eating in the morning and prefer a shake to solid food. I am going to cut out any processed protein powders from my diet and just do raw eggs but I am not sure how many I should consume at one time since it will be my only protein in the shake. This is what I am thinking:

    1 cup coconut milk
    1/2 fresh blueberries
    1/4 frozen banana
    fermented cod liver oil
    2-3 raw eggs

    Does that sound adequate or should I do more eggs? Any thing else I should add to make the breakfast more complete?

    TIA!
    Jaime, wife to Phaedrus and primal mama to A (4) and X (1).

  • #2
    3 eggs will give you 28 grams of protein. If you are not leptin resistant (LR) it should be fine, otherwise Dr. Jack Kruse recommends increasing your protein to 50 grams, eten within 30 minutes of waking. And he does not recommend whey protein until LR is under control.

    Comment


    • #3
      Adriana+1; also I got the Now brand of pure egg white protein for making shakes with coconut milk, berries, etc.
      This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

      Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
      Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Digby View Post
        Adriana+1; also I got the Now brand of pure egg white protein for making shakes with coconut milk, berries, etc.
        Sounds good but I'm trying to cut out ALL processed powders. I react bad to whey and the only powders that so work for me are hemp and rice which are not really primal.
        Jaime, wife to Phaedrus and primal mama to A (4) and X (1).

        Comment


        • #5
          A good bit of the protein in a raw egg will not be absorbed. You may want to add a couple extra eggs to make up for it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pyro13g View Post
            A good bit of the protein in a raw egg will not be absorbed. You may want to add a couple extra eggs to make up for it.
            Do you think 3-4 eggs would suffice? I'm working up to that many raw eggs, LOL!
            Jaime, wife to Phaedrus and primal mama to A (4) and X (1).

            Comment


            • #7
              I guess that depends how much you really want to be absorbed.

              From Eggs, cooked or raw?

              "Researchers fed healthy subjects raw or cooked eggs. “When the eggs were cooked, the proportion of protein digested averaged 91 percent to 94 percent," Wrangham reports. On the other hand, the digestibility of raw eggs was a meager 65 percent. “The results showed that 35 percent…of the ingested protein was leaving the small intestine undigested. Cooking increases the protein value of eggs by around 40 percent.” (Emphasis mine)"

              Dr Richard Wrangham of Harvard Richard Wrangham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

              4 of the eggs I eat would be 18.2g of protein with that 35% missing.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Fairychilde View Post
                Sounds good but I'm trying to cut out ALL processed powders. I react bad to whey and the only powders that so work for me are hemp and rice which are not really primal.
                It is just dehydrated egg white so barely processed, but you could also buy cartons of fresh eggwhites fom grocery. I keep these for cooking as a binder.
                This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

                Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

                Comment


                • #9
                  If you eat that breakfast all days you will have problems absorbing biotin. The eggs enzyme Avidin disrutc biotin absortion. The heat deactivate enzyme avidin and make proteing from eggs more bioavailable.

                  My suggestion: Drink the smoothie without the raw eggs and prepare your eggs properly, fried in butter or boiled eggs, eat and enjoy.
                  Rephrasing the famous Socrates quote: "All I know is that I know nothing" and about that fact, I am still not so sure.

                  Greetings! from Jorge from Venezuela.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pyro13g View Post
                    I guess that depends how much you really want to be absorbed.

                    From Eggs, cooked or raw?

                    "Researchers fed healthy subjects raw or cooked eggs. “When the eggs were cooked, the proportion of protein digested averaged 91 percent to 94 percent," Wrangham reports. On the other hand, the digestibility of raw eggs was a meager 65 percent. “The results showed that 35 percent…of the ingested protein was leaving the small intestine undigested. Cooking increases the protein value of eggs by around 40 percent.” (Emphasis mine)"

                    Dr Richard Wrangham of Harvard Richard Wrangham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

                    4 of the eggs I eat would be 18.2g of protein with that 35% missing.
                    Originally posted by Diedelser View Post
                    If you eat that breakfast all days you will have problems absorbing biotin. The eggs enzyme Avidin disrutc biotin absortion. The heat deactivate enzyme avidin and make proteing from eggs more bioavailable.

                    My suggestion: Drink the smoothie without the raw eggs and prepare your eggs properly, fried in butter or boiled eggs, eat and enjoy.
                    Thank you both for the info as I had no idea. I will have a coconut fruit smoothie and eggs on the side
                    Jaime, wife to Phaedrus and primal mama to A (4) and X (1).

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X