Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I eat on a party weekend.

I know this may sound stupid.

I follow primal eating during the week but I usually allow myself one (sometimes 2 days a week) to go out to bars and have fun ( I want to enjoy my youth while I can). I have stopped getting 4 slices of pizza after these nights which definitely makes me feel a little better about the whole situation but I can still feel these nights hinder my results. (although slowly I am lowering my bf% and am now under 10.)

For whatever reason the universe or god or some higher power blessed me with friday, saturday, and sunday off this weekend and I was invited to hang out with 3 different groups of friends I have not seen in a while on consecutive days.

I know this is bad for me but I am still going to go out and enjoy myself. I was just wondering if I should change what/when/how much I eat friday to sunday.

BTW, Friday is a bar night, Saturday is an O's game then out in Baltimore, Sunday is a day graduation party (which I probly won't drink at).

If you are under 10% BF you should be accustomed to the food regimens eating less for let's say, more than a day or two, or generally, you have to have better-than-average eating discipline/habits.

So, enjoy yourself on the weekend, then do some damage control: a couple of daily fasts or do some calorie restriction (for instance, the food for 2 days eaten in 4 days).

Generally, people pushing their limits (for example, really low BF percentage), learn by trial-and-error how to do "damage control" because we all live in the real world, the social events, treats, etc. are all around us, and we have to adapt. If we don't, we risk to be the foodie-freaks/outcasts that are not "kwel". It's infinitely better to act like in "I'm just that lean without any hard work at all..."
    Last edited by trippplez; 06-22-2011, 02:54 AM.
    Me@twitter

Comment

Get a steak before you go out drinking, or a big burger with no bun. Life is about compromises, and hanging out with friends is a good enough reason to compromise your diet just a little bit. I'm looking at the same thing starting today, as my wife and I just got back from a short vacation for our anniversary. We had some really good food and some really terrible food, and I'm going to do some calorie restriction/ IF for a couple of days and get over it. I was not going to let my way of eating interfere with our enjoyment of the trip.

Comment

yes.........

Comment

I've found that chicken fingers with fries or fish and chips are decent primal substitutes while at a bar. No bun to worry about and hopefully they use a non-hydrogenated oil to fry the stuff in. (I guess a salad would be best, but that never crosses my mind when I'm at a bar)

However, I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy the weekend.

Comment

I've found that chicken fingers with fries or fish and chips are decent primal substitutes while at a bar.
            Lets be honest, this is in no way shape or form, primal food or substitutes. It's crap that's quick and tasty that goes well with beer.

Comment

Hot wings? That's what I always eat at pubs.
              I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
              Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
              "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

Originally posted by mikebike View Post
                Lets be honest, this is in no way shape or form, primal food or substitutes. It's crap that's quick and tasty that goes well with beer.
                I agree with this as well.

When ever I go out for dinner, I have a steak or fish with veggies and I ask the server what they marinated the meats with. They usually put some form of sugar in the fish I find, so I almost always go for steak. I also ask the server what they cook the veggies with and it's usually butter with is fine by me.

As for alcohol, I don't drink that much even when I go out(it's been over a month actually). I find I don't need it to be social. I'll have water or tea. I actually don't want alcohol now. So maybe have 1 or 2 alcoholic beverage? For every alcoholic beverage drink a glass or two of water? Would that help?

Think of it this way, what's the point of going out with friends? Well, for me is to connect with them. Crap food and alcohol don't really enhance that experience. Well, for me anyway. Good Luck!

JP

Comment

Oh yeah, I also fast twice a week, that helps keep the body fat low. Do you fast?

Comment

Yea I do 2 20 hour fasts a week. It is awesome because in the span of 3 days my 6 pack starts to show a lot more. Unfortunately this also causes me to get too skinny imo. I am 5'11 and weighed 150 pounds yesterday, about 10 pounds less than where I want to be. But that is another story.

Comment

Out of available bar food, they're the best options. It's just meat fried in some kind of oil. Then you have potatoes fried in the same oil. I guess buffalo chicken wings might be better since they definitely won't have any breading on them.

Are you saying the oil is so bad for you that it disqualifies it from even being considered as food (this isn't fast food, they'll usually be using something like peanut oil, not a hydrogenated oil)? I understand frying isn't exactly a primal way to cook anything, but it's also not going to harm you as much as getting something loaded with grains and gluten, IMO. I just prioritize minimizing grains over worrying about what type of fat and how the meat is cooked. I can worry about the smaller details when I'm at home and cooking for myself.

If you really care enough, you can certainly be a dick about it and ask your server about every detail about the food you're going to eat, but it's really not going to hurt anything in the long run if you eat a bit of fried food. And if you're that strict about eating primal at restaurants, you'll probably find something wrong with every single item on the menu... just go home.

Comment

I used to always do a carb-heavy meal right before or at the beginning of drinking to "soak up" the booze. I've found that a fatty meal does this even better. I can't tolerate even a little gluten, so I usually use that as an excuse for my friends and then get a big bunless (lettuce wrapped or burger-in-a-bowl style) cheeseburger with bacon and/or avocado. (ok, so I eat that even if I'm not drinking.) I have been known to order a bowl of french onion soup without the crouton and extra cheese between drinks if the night is long (a surprising number of non-fancy bars actually do have this available)

Comment

Originally posted by wozz View Post
                          Out of available bar food, they're the best options. It's just meat fried in some kind of oil. Then you have potatoes fried in the same oil. I guess buffalo chicken wings might be better since they definitely won't have any breading on them.

Are you saying the oil is so bad for you that it disqualifies it from even being considered as food (this isn't fast food, they'll usually be using something like peanut oil, not a hydrogenated oil)? I understand frying isn't exactly a primal way to cook anything, but it's also not going to harm you as much as getting something loaded with grains and gluten, IMO. I just prioritize minimizing grains over worrying about what type of fat and how the meat is cooked. I can worry about the smaller details when I'm at home and cooking for myself.

If you really care enough, you can certainly be a dick about it and ask your server about every detail about the food you're going to eat, but it's really not going to hurt anything in the long run if you eat a bit of fried food. And if you're that strict about eating primal at restaurants, you'll probably find something wrong with every single item on the menu... just go home.
                          But it really depends on what results a person wants to achieve. If chicken fingers covered with peanut oil at a bar doesn't hurt results, go for it. If that's the ONLY choice that is close to primal and the individual wants it, go for it. If they do not want it, don't have it. There are other options. One can have a primal meal at home before heading out and not even eat at the bar and enjoy spending time with their friends. There may be better options at the bar. I've had wild pacific salmon and just veggies at a bar and it was so tasty and filling. Why not ask more info about how the food is cooked? I don't think that's "being a dick". I wish more and more people would ask about how the food is cooked, maybe it'll create more of a movement.

The OP wrote this: "I have stopped getting 4 slices of pizza after these nights which definitely makes me feel a little better about the whole situation but I can still feel these nights hinder my results. " - so he's obviously just trying to find the best solutions that work for his health and current physique goals, which I hope he does. : )

Comment

It's not about being a jackass to the servers but rather being intellectually honest with your self. All the deep-fried stuff is going to be covered with wheat and fried in some type of vegetable oil. If your weight is normal and you don't have gut issues, have at it. To say there's no other options would be subject to debate. Most people eat this kind of stuff not out of desperation but because it tastes good. Nothing wrong with that, just be honest with your self about it.

Comment

It's not about being a jackass to the servers but rather being intellectually honest with your self. All the deep-fried stuff is going to be covered with wheat and fried in some type of vegetable oil. If your weight is normal and you don't have gut issues, have at it. To say there's no other options would be subject to debate. Most people eat this kind of stuff not out of desperation but because it tastes good. Nothing wrong with that, just be honest with your self about it.
                              hear hear! totally didn't think of the breading on the chicken!!

Comment

Working...
                              X