Help and advice need for teenage daughter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help and advice need for teenage daughter

For the last two months or so my daughter, who is nearly 17, has been feeling nauseous every time she eats. The situation has been slowly building to the point where she is heaving after a few bites.
    She has never been a big eater, totally non primal and not likely to join me any time soon.
    It has always been difficult catering for her with her not liking vegetables bar lettuce, not a big fan of meat or fish recently it seems she has existed off frozen chips, cereal, flavoured yogurts and pasta salads, despite my protestations and urgings to have something else.
    Lately she has been out at friends alot and it has been hard keeping tabs on whats she's been eating and as to how bad the situation has got, which i feel bad about.
    All this has come to a head with her refusing to come out for a family restaurant meal in case she throws up in public.
    Its not that she doesn't want to eat, she does try, but is distressed when she feels the nausea coming on.
    She has just finished her exams (GCSEs) which has been additional stress.
    I'm going to book an appointment at the doctors this week, but wondered if anyone has any experience of this or suggestions what to do?

This is good to try and pinpoint from symptoms what it could be:
    Nausea and Vomiting -- familydoctor.org

You should take her to a doctor. It sounds like maybe gallbladder issues. Not good the way she is eating. I hope it's not an eating disorder.

Comment

Sue - thank you for the link.
      Had a look but nothing seems to apply. She has no other symptoms, is in good health, just this sick feeling when she eats.
      I'm booking her an appt with the doctor this week.

Comment

Is she pregnant?
        It's been happening for over a couple months, not sure why she wasn't taken to the doctor sooner?

Comment

No, shes not pregnant, I would have known if she had actively been sick.
          As shes not been at home for mealtimes alot recently its not been apparent as to how bad she is affected. it is dry heaves mainly and at first it was only every so often when she wasn't home, almost like a nervous reaction, afraid of being sick.
          But this week its been happening at home too. its been a build up over the two months.
          Plus she didn't tell me how bad it was as she knows I panic like a wet hen if I think one of my chicks is ill.
          Last edited by edgehill10; 06-21-2011, 08:43 AM.

Comment

I hope all is well.

I had the same nauseated feelings when I was pregnant. Never threw up either.

Comment

the only reason I asked if she was pregnant was because that was the only time I felt like that. I never threw up, just the thought of food made me feel sick and like I wanted to.

Comment

Well i hope shes not pregnant, i'd hope she would tell me that. Shes been on the pill because of painful periods for nearly a year so that narrows the chances.

Comment

Is she underweight for her age/height? If so, I'd suspect anorexia. If she hasn't been eating in front of you, and won't - or can't - eat in public, the stress of having to do so could make her nauseous.

This requires professional help and if you can't get it from your family doctor, contact a mental health network in your area.
                  Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                  Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                  CW: 146.8 lbs
                  GW 140 lbs
                  A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

I would be concerned about anorexia too. One of my school friends was anorexic and she presented it as feeling sick when she ate. I remember she used to carry a big bar of chocolate around in her bag and kept telling us how she wasn't eating it because it would make her feel sick.
                    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                    Harold Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by edgehill10 View Post
                      Well i hope shes not pregnant, i'd hope she would tell me that. Shes been on the pill because of painful periods for nearly a year so that narrows the chances.
                      I had the same issues when I needed to have my gallbladder removed. My symptoms started a few months after beginning birth control pills, and were pretty much identical to your daughter's.
                      32-y.o., 5'7", 125lbs.
                      Looking to improve my way of eating and mange a lean PCOS diagnosis without medication.
                      Proud 80/20 primal mama of twins born March 2012 and surprise #3 due August 2013!

Comment

I don't get the feeling its anorexia, Shes petite but not thin, she has never had to worry about her weight. shes not been hiding her eating and has up to this last week, frequently raided the cupboards.
                        I will suggest the gall bladder to the doctor, but deep down i feel it is some kind of nervous stress disorder. She has a history of abdominal migraine that hindered her eating when she was 11, but she grew out of that.

Comment

Update.
                          My daughter has seen the doctor twice now. The first visit after a feel of her tum, advised small meals and asked if she was stressed about anything, and to come back a week later (today). Have been today and now he has ordered blood tests. Glucose, liver, thyroid and something beginning with P? I don't know what thats for.
                          He asked again whether she was stressed. She has eaten this last week but not much and she doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. Now I'm worried that its something serious. We can't get the blood tests for another two weeks, so now I'm going to fret the whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by edgehill10 View Post
                            Update.
                            My daughter has seen the doctor twice now. The first visit after a feel of her tum, advised small meals and asked if she was stressed about anything, and to come back a week later (today). Have been today and now he has ordered blood tests. Glucose, liver, thyroid and something beginning with P? I don't know what thats for.
                            He asked again whether she was stressed. She has eaten this last week but not much and she doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. Now I'm worried that its something serious. We can't get the blood tests for another two weeks, so now I'm going to fret the whole time.
                            Try not to fret it won't change the results. Whatever the results are you will deal with it.

Comment

This sounds like how I felt when I started having gallbladder issues. At first I just felt like I WAS going to be sick. I'd actually go to the bathroom thinking I was going to vomit, but never did.
                              Stress always made it worse.

Like your daughter, I was eating very very non-primal. I started getting scared of eating meat or anything fatty. So my diet was high carb, high grain, very low fat. Eventually, I actually started vomiting after eating fat.

Does she ever complain about pain or slight discomfort around her stomach / rib cage? I had discomfort at night in that area, but for the longest time I thought it was just because I was cold (!!). When I wasn't cold, I thought it was gas (sometimes it was, but rarely).
                              Does she have frequent diarrhea or loose stools?

I also started avoiding going to restaurants and family events (Christmas, thanksgiving, easter, birthdays) because I didn't want to be sick around family.

When I finally got it checked out, I did have sludge and gallbladder stones.
                              As you could read on the first page of my journal, doctors and nurses told me to avoid fat until I could have surgery. But instead I started slowly increasing vegetables, then meat, then fats. I never had vomiting, diarrhea, or gallbladder pain again. It's only been since late April and I'm astounded it worked so quickly, so I need to confirm with a ultrasound and a CAT scan to see if the sludge and the stones went away, but I think they did.

Just wanted to share my story, maybe it helps. Hope you figure out what's going on, so she can start feeling better soon!
                              Last edited by abstractpersona; 06-30-2011, 07:49 PM.
                              My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
                              Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Comment

Working...
                              X