Swiss Chard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swiss Chard

I recently discovered the convenience of vegetable-and-berry smoothies--I used to think smoothies were only for unwashed hippies--but I have found smoothies can be damned convenient when cooking is not. (I'm not a veggie lover and use berries to buffer or override the veggie flavor.)

My question concerns Swiss Chard: can the body utilize all the vitamins and minerals if the chard is ingested raw? Or is most of the chard utilized or very little? The plethora of (non-smoothie) recipes I have found use chard cooked in some manner but never raw.

Thank you.
    "In heaven they don't serve beer, that's why we drink beer here." From an Irish drinking song.

raw it would be very very bitter and I can't imagine that it would be better for you raw. In all my green smoothies I cook the veggies I would normally cook if I was eating them (not having them in a smoothie) and then toss them in. No raw chard, kale or collards for me.
    http://anikaskitchen.blogspot.com/
    My journal

Comment

AFAIK, like many leafy green vegetables, it's a goitrogen, so best cooked—specially for those who have thyroid problems.

Actually, that may be one reason why you haven't come across any recipes utilizing raw chard: sometimes there's a fair bit of food knowledge imbedded in recipes that have been knocking around for a bit, probably why traditionally there's boiled cabbage, cabbage soup, and fermented cabbage (sauerkraut) but not, I think, any recipes with raw cabbage—save coleslaw, which may well be a recent invention from a time when people are further from their food and there's less sensitive and immediate knowledge of ingredients.

I'd try steaming it, or perhaps wilting it with a very little water and some butter. It would be good in soups, too.

Comment

Saute in olive oil with garlic and shallots: It takes 5 minutes, not even.

Comment

All of the brassica (cabbage family) vegetables increase greatly in available nutrients with cooking.
          "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
          -J.Stanton

Comment

Working...
          X