Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do some of these fallacies come from?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Where do some of these fallacies come from?

    I have a friend that's doing Eat for Life (or something like that). She's eating only fruits and veggies for 6 weeks. Corn is ok (great idea). So of course I asked about protein. She claimed that broccoli has more protein per calorie than steak does. If you google it, you find pages and pages of people claiming this same statement. Crazy people. I looked it up on several nutrition sites, 100 cal of steak is about 16g of protein, 100 calories of broccoli is only about 11g of protein. So unhealthy!!

  • #2
    People don't like to think; they like to be told what to believe. It was in a book, a real, printed book, so surely it's correct! You can't just print anything. Heaven forbid anyone should actually take the ten seconds to plug the foods into a nutrition program. That person who told 'em that was probably wearing a lab coat, too. If you can't believe someone in a lab coat, whom can you believe?

    Comment


    • #3
      I've heard of fruits and veggies for a few days as sort of a reset fast. But 6 weeks? Come on where's the fat?

      Even if you do get protein from some veggies you better be eating a lot of avocado or else you'll get like zero fat.

      It makes me think about how ridiculous veganism seems from the primal perspective.
      My blog - FitandFree.net - Live Healthy. Be Awesome.

      Comment


      • #4
        I understand that to most people my eating is extreme as well. What I don't understand, though, is how it's acceptable for those people to cut out an entire nutrient (fat) which is completely essential.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Grave_Girl View Post
          People don't like to think; they like to be told what to believe. It was in a book, a real, printed book, so surely it's correct! You can't just print anything. Heaven forbid anyone should actually take the ten seconds to plug the foods into a nutrition program. That person who told 'em that was probably wearing a lab coat, too. If you can't believe someone in a lab coat, whom can you believe?
          This is so true on so many levels.
          Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
          -Paul the Apostle, 1 Cor 6:19-20

          Comment


          • #6
            People, including us, are looking for answers to the correct diet for health. I think, based on personal experience and knowledge as well as so many posts on this site, that we have found the answer, but others are still searching. Unfortunately, so many people are hindered by a reliance on CW. I hope they find the way.
            Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mike in Virginia View Post
              People, including us, are looking for answers to the correct diet for health. I think, based on personal experience and knowledge as well as so many posts on this site, that we have found the answer, but others are still searching. Unfortunately, so many people are hindered by a reliance on CW. I hope they find the way.
              Well said!

              Comment


              • #8
                So to get your 50g protein for breakfast, you'd only have to eat 1.7kg (about 4lb) of broccoli. I might stick to the steak
                Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

                Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TomM1026 View Post
                  I've heard of fruits and veggies for a few days as sort of a reset fast. But 6 weeks? Come on where's the fat?
                  Apples have more fat per calorie than bacon does.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    On a serious note, I don't think six weeks without protein or fat would cause too many problems. I know someone who did the Master Cleanse for 48 days with no apparent negative health effects, and eating bananas and sweet potatoes is probably better than just drinking lemonade and maple syrup.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by faithy22 View Post
                      I understand that to most people my eating is extreme as well. What I don't understand, though, is how it's acceptable for those people to cut out an entire nutrient (fat) which is completely essential.
                      I never understood how eating meat, fish and vegetables could be considered extreme. Also, I think a lot of people don't think (saturated) fat is essential. After all, eating (saturated) fat makes you fat, right...?
                      Norak's Primal Journal:
                      2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
                      2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
                      2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mike in Virginia View Post
                        People, including us, are looking for answers to the correct diet for health. I think, based on personal experience and knowledge as well as so many posts on this site, that we have found the answer, but others are still searching. Unfortunately, so many people are hindered by a reliance on CW. I hope they find the way.
                        I'm not a fan of veg(etari)anism, but I think we should be humble enough to admit that our "problem" (i.e. a healthy diet) may have more than one answer.
                        Norak's Primal Journal:
                        2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
                        2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
                        2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I did the master cleanse twice, first time was 10 days and the second was 8 and felt fantastic but I'd rather eat real food!
                          Health is Wealth!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by peril View Post
                            So to get your 50g protein for breakfast, you'd only have to eat 1.7kg (about 4lb) of broccoli. I might stick to the steak
                            Stick with the meat. Broccoli is not a source of complete protein.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Back in my own "veggie" days, I also went to a gym daily and was able to hire a personal trainer. She was in training for a cardio competition and relied on brocolli (no dressing, dip or fat) as a mainstay. It made sense to me at the time.

                              Today, I'd encourage her to roast the brocolli smeared with co, evoo or butter and have a steak with it.

                              That said, 6 weeks of veggies is much better than 6 weeks on the standard american diet.


                              Joanne
                              In the midst of a mid-life-chrysalis




                              My Blog

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X