Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does 50 grams of protein look like?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does 50 grams of protein look like?

I know, I know, another thread on leptin resistance?! Sorry--just so interested and thought I'd get more specific responses this way...

Anyway, I'm wondering what 50 grams of protein looks like in various forms. How much ground beef, or salmon, or chicken breast etc would make 50 grams of protein? Those of you following the Mastering Leptin protocol of 50 g protein upon waking, what are you eating? Just looking for ideas from you folk and thought others might be interested as well. (I have an egg intolerance, so I'd personally love to see some egg-free ideas too!)

Thanks all!!!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Tried to find a good pic, but 50g is 1.76 ounces (about 1/10 pound). Figure your standard quarter pounder hamburger is 1/4 lb or 4 oz (a little more than double what you're supposed to eat), so maybe that helps to visualize it.

I have a food scale at home, but I only bought it for some european recipes based on weight instead of volume. Oh, and for weighing yarn, too.
    Durp.

Comment

I had prawns for breakfast - 50g's of protein was 242 grams, or 8.54 ounces. That's a lot of shrimp lol

Comment

Oh, crap, I'm thinking 50g of protein-ish FOOD, not PROTEIN!

Never mind!
        Durp.

Comment

Rita Rose doesn't have it quite right. You have to account for water, fat, and other content.

For example, the 1/4 lb McDonald's patty is the pre-cooked weight. 1/2 lb of raw 93% lean ground beef contains almost 50 grams of protein. 93% is very lean and most likely leaner than the average McDonald's raw patty.

Just go on Fit Day and try out some things. I personally like to have 1/2 lbs of burgers for brekkie.

For some reason, also, my 1/4 lbs. burger patties seem humongous compared to McDonald's. Dunno why.

You can see an example of 95% lean beef here:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/FoodVi...=s-sr19-f23557

Comment

50 grams of protein looks like THIS . . . assuming that that is at least 6oz anyway.

Comment

Thanks folks. This will be helpful to me so pasting it here: Protein - High-Protein Foods and Amount of Protein in Each Food

My Before/After Pics
              Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

Comment

Originally posted by Marnee View Post
                Rita Rose doesn't have it quite right. You have to account for water, fat, and other content.
                Yeah, I know. It was one of those "Duh" moments for me...
                Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                  Thanks folks. This will be helpful to me so pasting it here: Protein - High-Protein Foods and Amount of Protein in Each Food

That's helpfuL. I like the idea of a chicken breast, cottage cheese and nuts and seeds as a meal. Probably good to have a few different meals adding to 50g for variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                    That's helpfuL. I like the idea of a chicken breast, cottage cheese and nuts and seeds as a meal. Probably good to have a few different meals adding to 50g for variety.
                    Exactly. This is what I'm interested in doing. Like, a packet of bumblebee salmon (mine are approx 30 g protein) and a quarter lb of ground beef (varies based on the %). Just trying to figure out combos like this...
                    My Before/After Pics

Comment

I just ate a PC angus burger with two over-easy eggs on top and 1 square of Lindt dark chocolate for breakfast

43.6 grams of protein. I thought it would have been higher, but I have trouble going over 85 grams of protein in a day.
                      Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                      Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                      CW: 146.8 lbs
                      GW 140 lbs
                      A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Also, according to the above link, approx 2 "average" pork chops is 44 g, 1.5 chicken breasts (5.25 oz) would be 45 g, 6 oz steak is 42 g...

For 'fillers', 1/4 c almonds is 8 g, 1 slice of bacon is 3 g...

Just more thoughts on this.
                        My Before/After Pics

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
                          I just ate a PC angus burger with two over-easy eggs on top and 1 square of Lindt dark chocolate for breakfast

43.6 grams of protein. I thought it would have been higher, but I have trouble going over 85 grams of protein in a day.
                          Thanks belinda.

Yeah, I'm working towards actually getting in the PB's recs of .7-1 g of protein per lb of lean body mass. (Aiming for the higher range, which is approx 117 g protein for my height and ideal body weight--I've so not been getting that much, and I've been doing this for _years_ and only ever really looked at the carb calculations.) So I've never really calculated the protein piece before, but doing reading on leptin and such really got me thinking about this...
                          My Before/After Pics

Comment

From sparkpeople.com, 1 Italian sausage link is 15 g protein. Planning to do a packet of salmon plus an Italian sausage link this am...maybe a couple of almonds to boost it to 50. We'll see if I can pack it all in! I'm actually feeling quite hungry (been about 1/2 hour awake now) this am, after having a big protein breakfast yesterday as well... Very interesting...
                            My Before/After Pics

Comment

5oz london broil or similar lean beef. 10oz porkbelly. 8oz ground chicken breast. 7oz fried chicken livers.
                              This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                              Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Working...
                              X