CW and (and blatant suffering!) applauded by CNN for weight loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CW and (and blatant suffering!) applauded by CNN for weight loss

So this guy loses 100 pounds by using smaller portion sizes, chronic cardio and sheer willpower. His weight fluctuates up and down 30 pounds all the time and he freely admits how hard it is to keep his weight down. His first month of the diet, he was very hungry. For breakfast he eats a banana and cereal. For lunch he eats yogurt and an orange. He splurges on pizza and cookies on Friday nights.

This story just makes me sad. And just when I think I couldn't take anymore, I go to the comments. You know, the "duh, of course that's all it takes---the just eat less and exercise more and use your willpower crowd"! Not one mention of how if this guy went primal/paleo, he wouldn't have to suffer!!

Foodie struggles every day to keep pounds off - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Doug Skinner held up the pants in the tiny dressing room and shook his head. There's no way, he thought. No way I'm at a size 48.

This was 2004. Skinner was fresh out of college, recently married and just starting his career as a technology coordinator for a local school district. I refuse to go any bigger than 46, he thought vehemently.

"Unfortunately, that day I did have to buy those [pants]," Skinner remembers. "But I didn't go any higher than that."

Skinner always had an excuse for his obesity as a young adult. The self-described "stocky" man was just big-boned, he told himself. In reality, he weighed close to 300 pounds.

"It wasn't like we were stopping on the way home at McDonald's every night -- it was just portion sizes," Skinner says. "The easiest thing in the world [for me] is to eat. I'm a food guy. I love food. I love dessert."

But that day in a badly-lit discount clothing store in New Jersey, something clicked. He walked back over to his wife, Denise, who looked unhappy with her clothing selections as well. They decided right then to make a change. "We said, 'Look, this is it. Let's not kid around anymore."

Got your own weight loss story to share? Visit iReport

The couple went home and borrowed a few Weight Watchers books from a relative and began to eat less.

"The first month, I was starving," Skinner says. "After the first month it was easier. It's still not easy today, but it's easier."

Doug and Denise also started walking laps around a park near their house. It wasn't exactly fun, but he didn't know what else to do to get active. After a few weeks he jogged one lap. Then two. As he lost weight it got easier to jog and a couple of laps turned into a couple of miles. He didn't slow down until he reached 200 pounds.

Now Skinner runs five days a week -- on Mondays it's a long run of six to eight miles; the rest of the days he does about four. On May 1 he completed the 10-mile Broadstreet Run in Philadelphia in a time of 1 hour and 22 minutes.

He doesn't count calories but eats small meals for breakfast and lunch: cereal and a banana in the morning; yogurt and an orange around noon. Dinner he plans ahead of time -- splurging on Friday night when he takes time off from running to share pizza and cookies with his wife.

He weighed in last week at 174 pounds.

Like in any weight loss attempt, there were setbacks. In 2007 Skinner had reached 220 pounds. A "Biggest Loser"-type contest at school helped him drop down to 170. When he posted his story on iReport in March, he weighed 193.5 pounds.

"I'm not ashamed to say my weight goes up and down... It's a constant fight," Skinner said in a phone interview last month. "I'm looking at a bowl of cookies that are right across from me and I kind of want one. Fortunately, the phone cord doesn't reach that far."

"There's no way I'm going to sit at a Thanksgiving table and not eat anything ... I consider myself a foodie and for as long as I live I will never have that type of [fear] relationship with food -- I enjoy it too much. I will not deprive myself because of a pound or two."

He hopes his daughter Gwen grows up to appreciate food like he does, without ever having to worry about battling the scale. So he's setting a good example early.

"I'm trying to avoid putting all the pressure on the food aspect. Every step counts. I say that tongue-in-cheek, but it's important. The thing that's worked best for me is getting off my butt."

Skinner continues to write about his weight loss journey on his blog, Daddy's Tired.

want me to talk to him, i have lost 150 pounds and am stuffed every day i get so sick of eating lamb and filet and meatza and icecream

FML
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Wow. My weight will fluctuate by 5lbs but yo-yoing 20-30lbs is just nuts.
      Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

I think there's something in most people that equate suffering with "good". This brings up something weird that's been happening to me. I'm lean and I look very strong and healthy. People act like it's miraculous. As though our intended state is SUPPOSED to be flabby, pasty and generally unhealthy. If you manage to look better than that, you are odd (or hopefully suffering dearly for it). I want to scream IT'S THE OPPOSITE! We're all supposed to look good and healthy!!!
        www.ohcrappottytraining.com
        This isn't what I wanted to be when I grew up; a potty trainer.
        I wanted to be a pirate. Well. You know how that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gloworm View Post
          I think there's something in most people that equate suffering with "good". This brings up something weird that's been happening to me. I'm lean and I look very strong and healthy. People act like it's miraculous. As though our intended state is SUPPOSED to be flabby, pasty and generally unhealthy. If you manage to look better than that, you are odd (or hopefully suffering dearly for it). I want to scream IT'S THE OPPOSITE! We're all supposed to look good and healthy!!!
          +1 i remember when i was first strting to reduce i thought how do those little people walk with such thin legs

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

Wow this poor guy! This is a sad story.

I fluctuate three pounds regularly, and I complain that I can't find anything in my closet to wear--how many sets of clothes in different sizes does this poor guy have to maintain?

Comment

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
              want me to talk to him, i have lost 150 pounds and am stuffed every day i get so sick of eating lamb and filet and meatza and icecream

FML
              +1 Awesome!
              "As if you could kill time without injuring eternity"

Primal Journal *WinkBlu*

Comment

Originally posted by MightyAl View Post
                Wow. My weight will fluctuate by 5lbs but yo-yoing 20-30lbs is just nuts.
                Yeah, this. 30 lbs? Yikes.

Does anyone else think "Had they only found/tried PB" in regards to bariatric surgery?
                Pax, Lux

Comment

And he's raising his kids on this "wisdom" too...
                  -James
                  Just a n00b

Comment

Oh man the comments are *facepalm* worthy.

"While I don't disagree with you about butter being better for you than margarine, I can completely disagree with you about the consumption of saturated fats being good for you. Butter should only be used in small porportions. Try a more heart healthy fat such as olive oil or canola oil."
                    My Primal Journal

Comment

Someone named catlady posted a comment about the Weston A Price Foundation. But, out of 100 plus comments, there is only one leading this guy into the less painful, more healthy direction.

Comment

I truly thought about emailing him directly but them i thought about how i woudl react to that and the whole concept of attraction not prostelization and i chose to leave it be.

I will keep eating my eggplant lasagne and he can go hungry. I have already out lost him anyway

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

I'm pretty sure we have people on this forum who could tell their own yo-yo dieting stories, even following the primal paradigm. Maintaining a 100 lb weight loss is hard. Your body doesn't want it to be easy. Just because it's easy at the beginning, doesn't mean it will be easy to reach your eventual goal. The first 70 lbs of my weight loss was easy. The last 20 or so has been much harder. That seems to be true whether I'm doing paleo or conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                            I truly thought about emailing him directly but them i thought about how i woudl react to that and the whole concept of attraction not prostelization and i chose to leave it be.

I will keep eating my eggplant lasagne and he can go hungry. I have already out lost him anyway
                            What insights do you have to offer someone trying to figure out how to maintain a long term weight loss? I'm not trying to be a jerk about this. Your progress is awesome. You have every right to be very proud of what you've done. But your graph shows that you still have a ways to go. And you haven't yet faced the situation this guy is facing. Not just emotionally, but physiologically. None of us knows how your body is going to react when you near your goal weight.

FWIW, I don't know either. I've lost over 70lbs multiple times, using many different diets. This is just the latest time. Until I demonstrate that I can make this time stick, I'm not sure I have any insight into this guy's issues. Maintenance is hard. Making good choices is harder when you're not getting immediate positive feedback on the scale.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
                              What insights do you have to offer someone trying to figure out how to maintain a long term weight loss? I'm not trying to be a jerk about this. Your progress is awesome. You have every right to be very proud of what you've done. But your graph shows that you still have a ways to go. And you haven't yet faced the situation this guy is facing. Not just emotionally, but physiologically. None of us knows how your body is going to react when you near your goal weight.

FWIW, I don't know either. I've lost over 70lbs multiple times, using many different diets. This is just the latest time. Until I demonstrate that I can make this time stick, I'm not sure I have any insight into this guy's issues. Maintenance is hard. Making good choices is harder when you're not getting immediate positive feedback on the scale.
                              not offended at all. I had never ever lost weight before. and YES i do have a long way to go. My serious point ( since most of this was firmly tongue in cheek ) is that the body is not that hard to figure out and feed once you do your homework. Notice the article talks about privation at eh level of most 3rd world countries. I promise you the human body does not expect that. Additionally he is eating in a way that compromises his metabolism and as such is required to keep going down that path.

now that i know what is what i dont expect to ever need to "diet" again. will i be Dwyane Johnson or Vin Diesel probably not, will i need to starve to maintain

HELZ NO

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

Working...
                              X