Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverting to the SAD – an experiment (caution – end is a little gross)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverting to the SAD – an experiment (caution – end is a little gross)

So for the last three weeks, things got a little crazy. I had to move (from one apartment to another in NYC with no help) which involved buying all new everything – furniture, bedding, bed; getting rid of nearly half my clothing (got to thin) so needed new; my regular 40 hour a week day job got super crazy, and my 15 hour a week second consulting job hit overtime as well. Add to that a bunch of weekend family obligations, and 2 classes that were running I was in, and I’m totally 100% maxed out. Of course it’s very temporary- after a few weeks, it should go back to normal. But for right not, the stress of everything were through the roof and I’m really not in a position to say add several hours a week of grocery shopping to my schedule, especially since (as long as I eat SAD) I get free food at work.

After a couple of days of really struggling to find time for the gym, time to forage properly, etc I decided to combine a ‘fuck it’ with an experiment – what if I went back to my diet that I ate say a year ago for the three weeks? That’ll at least keep the stressors on diet and exercise low until I get past this hump.

So: I went from a 90% carnivore, probably 60% fat diet at 100% paleo to ice cream and pb&j sandwiches, bread at every meal, etc. The only thing I didn’t really do was drink soda, and I was careful to not over-consume calories. I still stuck to about 2500 a day which for my weight is about baseline. However I stopped all exercise as well.

Some results:

First: by keeping calories down, I didn’t really gain weight. So I imagine if I ate like this but simply cut calories to 2000 or less a day, I’d lose. But…

One notable thing is change in taste. Right before I started, some things just tasted awful and chemical, like Vitamin water (which I used to be addicted to). After 3 weeks it tastes heavenly again. As your tongue gets used to sweet and fake, that stuff turns into crack. Same goes for super sweet stuff like ice cream. When I was months in to paleo, eating ice cream was an exercise in “ooofff sooo sweeeeet”. After a few weeks of eating it every couple of days, it no longer seems super-sweet, but just a nice treat.

Another is skin quality. I’ve got skin breakouts, greasy skin (didn’t have on a 90% fat diet, go figure), blackheads, and dry spots.

My sweat smells much much worse now. My crotch is also a lot reekier.

Energy levels are poor –I need several coffees a day to stay awake. Crashes in afternoon.

Joint pain came back, fingers and ankles. Occasional foot pain. Neck spasms.

But here’s the kicker: I finally figured out a lifelong health problem. All of my life I’ve had, well to put it bluntly, some kind of anal discharge. Skid marks. Ever since I was a tyke. At first I blamed it on poor hygiene as a kid. Then I blamed it on being obese (hard to wipe, which is true). I’ve always had it and needed to be careful, sometimes changing underwear twice a day. It’s not like I’m pooping my diaper or anything, it’s just nasty skid marks. The only people who knew about it were the people who do my laundry.

I didn’t realize until going back on SAD that for the past 6-9 months: no skid marks! And after 2 weeks of SAD, there they are, uncontrollable as always. I’m not sure if it’s the grains or some other diet part that is causing it, or what exactly it is – unusual thin stool, or flatulence – but damn, they are back.

So that’s my deal. Thankfully I’m all moved in and the work crunch is calming down, so starting tomorrow I’m in the park for windsprints and a good ol’ caveman breakfast. But anybody who wants a reason to go primal: no skid marks.

I agree...the ending was gross

Comment

Right on, a new motto!

Griff, you can put it on the cards you hand out.

"No Skid Marks!"

rocco, you should change your profile to NSM4Life.

Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

Nothing like a complete change back to see what you aren't missing.

I've no problem with "skid marks." bobby.

Comment

Yet another reason why I gotta get the hubby to switch to primal!

Comment

If "no skid marks" isn't a selling point for primal eating, I don't know what is

Comment

I'm sitting here in my cube trying REALLY hard not giggle. chima_p, your comment really cracked me up! My co-workers are probably wondering what the stifling sounds from my cube are.

Comment

I had to register after reading that.

Wow. Just…wow.

Comment

the skid marks thing is just amazing to me. I suffered with this embarrassing, horrible condition my ENTIRE LIFE and it's GONE on primal. What the hell?!?

My best guess is the grains caused either some kind of flatulence or just maybe some kind of allergic reaction, but since it just was 'the way I was' I never wondered. Then when I lost the weight and could, I wince to say, wipe my ass in a bathroom stall without having to do stretching gymnastics I figured it was the weight loss. Yet I'm at the same weight and they are back!

Comment

Hahaha That's a great post!

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Those symptoms sound a lot like mine when I ate wheat products.

Comment

I like the openess and honesty of your post, it makes you sound more human, humble... more like Grok.

Indeed bigotry, inhibition, prudishness and stiffness are not very primal. And Diamond would argue that not even male-chauvinism, machoism and attempt to pass for an insensitive piece of wood in order to appear more "mainly" are primal.

Comment

Well said, Niklas.

I would add that "individualism" was a complete head scratcher for Grok's tribe. The group was more important than the individual.

Rampant individualism, Ayn Rand's "objectivism", libertarianism, all are counter to what got us through millions of years of adversity.

It does "take a village."

Comment

I'm rather disturbed by how alienated our sociey has made us. We used to live in villages where everyone interacted with other people and everyone had a role and tasks for the well being of the community and children and kids were not considered an insular group disconnetted from older people but real members of the community with valued skill and tasks to do and they also shared the same expectations and hopes of their parents so the family was actually a place were people went after same goals and helped each other not a place were to play roles and stir intergenerational battles (Margaret Mead actually showed that no concept of youth angst or intergenerational conflict exists in non-modern populations)

And after a whole day of interactions, small tasks and some leasire time, everyone would enjoy the result of the daily effort with an hearty dinner and lot of music. Bacchanalians were actually based on the phylosophy that you need a short-term goal to complete togheter in orther to enjoy its fruits. That's why everyone would do something to organize the dinner (i.e. someone would cook, someone would bring the chairs, someone would decore a table cloth, someone would seek the best flowers, someone would sweep the ground... of course children too) and then finally enjoyed it. What always fascinated me about this is that one thought working together for a goal was "annoying" or "dreadful". Humans love to work, love to spend their time doing somethng that makes sense... what they hate is alienation and dullness of organized job system.

I actually think kids show more maturity in this area than older people, they're more interested in the village just like Grok. It is known that a reason why certain kids (not all of them) learn another language fluently is that they interact more while adults isolate themselves. Kids love to form groups and belong to groups and they (rightly so) full suffucated in the alienating nuclear family.

When kids write on a forum or on a pen-pal page in a magazine, they always say something like "I hope to find lot of friends" or "I hope to make lot of friends here". Most recognize such words as juvenile because adults rarely want to make friends and are usually navely fulfilled by their asphyxiating nuclear family (even a family can become "excessive individualsm" by obsessing with a single role or thinking of members of the family as property and alienating by the rest of the world) but it shouldn't be so and kudos to kids for keeping alive the tribe or band primal instinct.

There are islander cultures were kids form their own communities and live on their own and someone studying the population said this arrangement of kids living on their own and learnng to take care of each other is better for them than when they're under the charge of adults.

just few thoughts

(going off-topic is extremely primal, disciplined thinking came with the post-agricultural control freeks)

Comment

I didn't embark on SAD (or British version!) but I did have a slip up with an oaty flapjack the other day, for which I'm bearing the consequences still. It was organic, I was in an un-primal situation blah blah blah. Anyway, i thought I would be ok, but no. Horrendous bloating, gas, constipation, a rash, headaches... Ugh. I'm not sure if I can't deal with oats, or if it is because the product was prepared in a gluten contminated environment (I'm intolerant). But you can be sure, I won't be making that mistake again!

Funny though - seeing how terrible I felt because of one small item, I can't believe how long I put up with that level of 'health' before doing something positive about it, rather than just taking medication to deal with the symptoms....

Comment

Working...
                              X