Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverting to the SAD an experiment (caution end is a little gross)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Rampant individualism, Ayn Rand's 'objectivism', libertarianism, all are counter to what got us through millions of years of adversity."

And things like this, I imagine, are why Mark appears to advises, when it comes to the wisdom of our ancestors, to do as Ken Kesey said:

"Take what you can use, and let the rest go by."

Comment

+1 frogfarm - I've said it before - we're all individuals with our own minds - at the end of the day it's our own choice how we live primally. Some weeks I'm 100%, some weeks not so much. I know the guidelines, it's up to me how I follow them.

Comment

A few years ago I spent ten days in a tiny village in Mexico. It was almost astride the Continental Divide on the western edge of Chihuahua high on a mesa and three hours from the nearest pavement. They lived on subsistence farming of corn, beans,fruit, and cattle. There were about ten families of assorted ages.

It was an interesting experience and I still reflect on what I observed. The people were not poor, they had money in (distant) banks, some had a second home, most had a truck or car. They had solar powered electric lighting! Once a month a doctor and nurse came to give medical care through the national health care system.

Anyway, they indeed relied on each other a lot. Helping with the harvest, all pitching in to add a porch to the medical building, etc. They had a CB radio, provided by la mumicipio for emergency services, it also let nearby villages know that a cow was to be slaughtered.

I observed it indeed took a village, and a municipio, and a state to make their lives functional. Not much room for doing it "my way."

Comment

I've had similar problems, which I managed to somehow temporarily alleviate or ignore for many years. I am reminded of the issue when I 'cheat' - usually a pizza or a couple of cookies will do it. It feels like what I imagine Irritable Bowel Syndrome feels like. It is as if I've become completely intolerant of processed carbs.

Comment

My mother has had IBS in one form or another most of her life. She has been hospitalized twice this year for life threatening diarrhea. She even subjected herself to another colonoscopy trying to find resolution.

Well, after the best docs couldn't come up with a solution and told her to get more fiber, I went the other way: Almost no fiber, six grams a day.

It's the processed grains like white bread and white rice that are fiber free and hence offer relief to her.

Comment

IBS is the pits. It's debilitating, it can be socially disastrous - luckily my experience wasn't quite that bad. But it was depressing, hard physically and mentally and wore me out. I never want to go back to feeling like that. Some cheats are ok, others take me back to that way of living temporarily. I think I'm getting a pretty good grasp of what I can and can't eat.

Comment

OTB - the message may slowly be seeping out...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1228402/Eating-fibre-NOT-good-stomach.html

OK so the Daily Mail is a notorious right-wing leaning, middle class rag (hysteria along the lines of "Immigrants are hiding under your children's beds claiming benefits!!!").

But hey, it obviously has an audience so if IT can print this kind of non-CW then maybe there is hope...

Comment

Agh - the Daily Mail! Noooo! Still, as you say, it has such a widespread readership (for the love of god why?!) that hopefully, things will slowly change. Although it would have been better if they could have pointed people towards MDA instead of white bread and pies!

Comment

I ate a bowl of oatmeal yesterday because I wanted something soft and I didn't have yogurt in the house. I woke up in the night with a painful stomach ache which resulted in painful elimination (TMI...sorry). Grains do this every time. They also cause me bouts of GERD and excessive belching. I remove them from my diet and voila! no more pains, GERD, and minimal belching.

Comment

But mrd232, bobbylight says that they are part of a healthy diet!

Comment

mrd232, do all grains make you feel like that?

Yesterday and the day before I had some brown rice and felt completely normal. I soaked it in water and vinegar for 2 days before cooking, so hopefully that got rid of most of the bad stuff.

I don't think it's wrong to have some grains (but not wheat) once in a while, as long as you process is correctly. I have yet to try soaked oats.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Nooooooo! Not the grains debate again! Aaaaaaaagh!

Some people can eat them, some people can&#39;t. Whether you SHOULD eat them is another matter.......

Comment

Hahah.. I&#39;m not for grains at all - I make it part of my 20%. I&#39;m just saying that if you want to eat grains, at least prepare it correctly. People in Asia eat rice all the time and they&#39;re generally much healthier than Westerners, so you can&#39;t go too wrong with rice.

Ok enough.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                            ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

I can eat white rice with little consequence (other than some bloating/carb rush). High gluten grains are the ones that seem to give me stomach problems, though. If I continue to eat them, I usually have to go back to taking Tums or OTC heartburn meds on a regular basis.

Comment

Yeah, I seem to do ok with white rice too. But all other grains, even brown rice make me feel bloated and give me heartburn. Dr.Harris of PaNu says potato and white rice are ok if you must eat starch. I&#39;m not endorsing grains, just saying if you&#39;re in a situation where you have to eat non-primal stuff, then white rice might be the lesser of the evils.

Raphael, save about 1C of the soaked water in the refrigerator and add it the the next time you soak brown rice. And when you keep doing this the phytase content in the water increases and helps neutralize the phytic acid in the rice. Read Stephen&#39; blog for more info. I have a bottle of, hopefully phytase-rich, water in the refrigerator.

Comment

Working...
                                X