The reason for big protein breakfast, per Mastering Leptin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The reason for big protein breakfast, per Mastering Leptin

Since this keeps coming up, I went back to the Mastering Leptin book to see what's up.

The big protein breakfast is for this reason-

Metabolism can increase by 30% for as long as 12 hours from a high-protein meal, (the equivalent of a 3-4 mile jog).

A high carb breakfast does not increase metabolic rate. It may instead trigger a problem with insulin resistance.

High GI carbs shift your leptin release to earlier in the day, and you end up eating too much later, especially late at night.

The big protein breakfast helps get your metabolism going, stabilizes hypoglycemia for later, and helps prevent leptin fluctuations later in the day. Protein enhances release of glucagon, which mediates release of insulin...

from another section in the book-

For the first three hours after eating, your body refuels using insulin. You are not losing weight right then. You want this to settle down. Snacking disrupts it and fatigues the pancreas.

None of this is my opinion. All this is from Mastering Leptin by Byron and Mary Guignon Richards
    Last edited by DFH; 06-15-2011, 05:36 PM. Reason: fixed error, note on second page of this thread

Originally posted by DFH View Post
    Since this keeps coming up, I went back to the Mastering Leptin book to see what's up.

The big protein breakfast is for this reason-

Metabolism can increase by 30% for as long as 12 hours from a high-protein meal, (the equivalent of a 3-4 mile jog).

A high carb breakfast does not increase metabolic rate. It may instead trigger a problem with insulin resistance.

High GI carbs shift your leptin release to earlier in the day, and you end up eating too much later, especially late at night.

The big protein breakfast helps get your metabolism going, stabilizes hypoglycemia for later, and helps prevent leptin fluctuations later in the day. Protein enhances release of glucagon, which mediates release of insulin...

from another section in the book-

For the first three hours after waking, your body refuels using insulin. You are not losing weight right then. You want this to settle down. Snacking disrupts it and fatigues the pancreas.

None of this is my opinion. All this is from Mastering Leptin by Byron and Mary Guignon Richards
    Wow, another book to pick up. Thanks. I also see why Mark suggests omelets for breakfast
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

DFH, in the book do they say to eat your carbs at night? Also do they recommend 50g protein 30 mins upon waking as in this post (you wrote no food for about 3 hours upon waking):
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html
      Last edited by Sue; 06-15-2011, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting this, man. Mad appreciated.

Comment

any mention on like a protein/fat breakdown? I have more time in the morning since switching jobs so I might start eating breakfast again. I'm pretty used to fasting, but I could never say no to meat at any time of the day. However, when they say "big protein" does that mean protein should be higher than fat? cus if so, buncha eggs prolly wouldn't do it right?
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
            any mention on like a protein/fat breakdown? I have more time in the morning since switching jobs so I might start eating breakfast again. I'm pretty used to fasting, but I could never say no to meat at any time of the day. However, when they say "big protein" does that mean protein should be higher than fat? cus if so, buncha eggs prolly wouldn't do it right?
            I would think the concern is more over avoiding carbs than fat. Though if you're just doing eggs, you need like 7-8 (large size) just to get the protein.

Comment

Originally posted by DFH View Post

For the first three hours after waking, your body refuels using insulin. You are not losing weight right then. You want this to settle down. Snacking disrupts it and fatigues the pancreas.
              I think you meant to say that for the first three hours after EATING, not waking, your body refuels using insulin - hence you don't want to snack. You want to wait long enough before you eat again for the body to switch over to burning stored fuel (fat) - so that as fat stores start to empty out, leptin levels will decrease, restoring leptin sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by brahnamin View Post
                I would think the concern is more over avoiding carbs than fat. Though if you're just doing eggs, you need like 7-8 (large size) just to get the protein.
                And that would be a problem because............?

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                  DFH, in the book do they say to eat your carbs at night? Also do they recommend 50g protein 30 mins upon waking as in this post (you wrote no food for about 3 hours upon waking):
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html
                  The 3 hrs comment was about how hormones cycle over a day. It didn't mean you don't eat for the first 3 hours. It meant that your body uses insulin after your breakfast, and you want the glucagon that comes along with the protein intake right then.

Mastering Leptin is not full-on low carb (they hate Atkins). It's just saying the morning is the wrong time.

Comment

Originally posted by Barb View Post
                    I think you meant to say that for the first three hours after EATING, not waking, your body refuels using insulin - hence you don't want to snack. You want to wait long enough before you eat again for the body to switch over to burning stored fuel (fat) - so that as fat stores start to empty out, leptin levels will decrease, restoring leptin sensitivity.
                    It actually meant after waking, because your body does things when you wake up to fuel for the day, regardless of if you skipped breakfast. ML is saying that you want protein intake when that happens because of glucagon.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      And that would be a problem because............?
                      My only concern over having breakfast is that I'll get hungry sorta soon after. I mostly only eat breakfast on weekends (again, because I have the time to do so, and usually a social aspect surrounding it) but weekends are also the time when I generally eat more and more often so I don't know if it's something I'd want to do daily.

Also, I almost NEVER eat less than 5 eggs when I prepare them for myself, but doing that daily would probably lead to taking in too many calories in the long run. I'm not a counter, but I'm also not a sensible eater, my meals are usually decent sized (especially considering I mostly eat twice a day) so adding a third meal could, I guess, make me gain weight in the long run. It could be a yummy experiment though, I would probably love nothing more than to make some protein with a side of eggs and hot sauce in the morning...

Edit: I should note that at present I'm very hungry (waiting for my gf to get here so we can eat..) which is making me envision yummy breakfast platters. I actually am picturing eggs with hash browns, sausage, bacon, lots of Frank's, some coffee with lots of heavy cream...
                      Last edited by iniQuity; 06-15-2011, 05:07 PM.
                      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                        I checked and they don't specify in ML. The 50 grams came from Dr Kruse's blog.

I googled some "Leptin Diets" and it starts getting stupid. One said do 4 eggs and whole wheat toast! Sheesh.

The term "big protein" was mine. ML actually says "high protein" but they don't specify. Maybe that's in the diet book instead.

I just found this on google and the author does in fact define "high protein" as 50 grams, so his recommendation is the same as Kruse-

Those of you familiar with the Five Rules of the Leptin Diet, know that Rule #4 is; Eat a Breakfast Containing Protein. I have long explained that a high protein breakfast can boost the metabolic rate up to 30% for as long as 12 hours and provide lower insulin release, while assisting with food cravings. New research at the University of Missouri1 agrees with my preference for the high protein breakfast.

This study was done with teenage girls. Some skipped breakfast, others ate an average amount of protein (18 grams) and others had a high protein breakfast (50 grams). The researchers used advanced functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to measure neural activity in response to images of food prior to lunch. They found that a high protein breakfast reduced activation of the brain that would otherwise result in food cravings for the sake of pleasure eating – a primary problem in overweight people. In fact, numerous brain regions showed more stable functionality in response to the high protein breakfast, indicating that the extra protein was very good at helping to control appetite and have a more normal mental relationship with food.

High Protein Breakfast Dampens Hunger Drive Later in the Day | Thyroid and Leptin News
                        (This is the author of ML)

Comment

While I don't particularly have a leptin problem, I still find that the big protein breakfast is working for me in terms of taking food completely off my mind for the rest of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                            While I don't particularly have a leptin problem, I still find that the big protein breakfast is working for me in terms of taking food completely off my mind for the rest of the day.
                            Yeah, I feel fuller from some meat, eggs, and chicken - sooner. It seems safer than inhaling grainy, and carby stuff.
                            If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Originally posted by lssanjose View Post
                              Yeah, I feel fuller from some meat, eggs, and chicken - sooner. It seems safer than inhaling grainy, and carby stuff.
                              I wouldn't be eating grainy carby stuff at all but I was just meaning that the timing of having a big protein rich breakfast first thing works well for me. The modification I make in the Dr. K plan is that I don't get up that early so I just have two meals, breakfast about 9 and dinner about 5.

Comment

Working...
                              X