Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LSSeeker
    I'm reconsidering braces for our son. I've had braces and I don't believe I've had breathing issues with my airway post braces. Is there a commonality between individuals that have had their airway reduced? Lots of teeth removed?
    Most dentists just look at straitening the teeth and do not giving us our potential. Also, most of us do not have the propery mid facial growth that gives us a proper airway. Look for a dentist who uses the DNA appliance or the ALf appliance. They should understand airway. It's not all about straight teeth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freshveggies View Post
      Most dentists just look at straitening the teeth and do not giving us our potential. Also, most of us do not have the propery mid facial growth that gives us a proper airway. Look for a dentist who uses the DNA appliance or the ALf appliance. They should understand airway. It's not all about straight teeth.
      Here is a link to ALF Practitioners ALF Practitioners & Labs
      Here is the link to DNA Pracititioners DNA Appliance: Certified Providers

Comment

• Originally posted by Huck View Post
        I have all the labs for the last 3 years. The problem was my doc didn't test pregnenolone or cortisol. I know how to interpret the cortisol lab, but the pregnenolone lab didn't make sense. You said 16 is low, but no way to know that from what the lab sent me.

Are you using precription or otc pregnenolone? What level are you trying to maintain?
        Thanks
        If you want;
        Scan each an every page of your labs, post it here
        Write an essay, tell everything about your body and health
        I will then open Journal for you.
        If you lucky dr K will look at it too.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I use MLM pregnenolone from Nutricology
        but
        quelsen is using "regular" pregnenolone pills from lef.org and they increase his blood pregnenolone levels.

I was trying prescription pregnenolone creams, they did absolutely nothing for me (going by blood results).

pregnenolone on the beginning of hormonal cascade, I consider it most important to keep its level as it should be.

Doing my testing often I get screw up often by laboratory performing testing.

I have found best experience with LabCorp.
        It is not flawless experience.
        In case of pregnenolone, when giving them exactly same script I can get two different results.
        pregnenolone(10-208) ng/dL
        pregnenolone(<151)ng/dL

At first it confused me, then I realized that my real evaluation comes from looking at further downstream metabolites.

in this case I worry more about

progesterone
        Cortisol,Total

--------------------------------
        When I started filling up my Steroid Hormones Panel
        I had everything low.

On this line low was preg, prog, cortisol but also DHEAs was low.

I realized that I am not able to fill up DHEAs by using pregnenolone.
        DHEAs part of this whole Panel is 95% by weigh.
        I had to supplement DHEA separately by using 7ketoDHEA and DHEA
        otherwise you cant help but be helpless about pregnenolone steal.

After DHEAs was about full,
        I loaded on pregnenolone, I used enough to get my (Total Cortisol)=23.9 (6.2-19.4)ug/dL
        that is somewhat above what I really want on long term base (I want 19-22)
        Note that to get good cortisol resulted in overloading on pregnenolone pills, that have given me
        preg=250(10-208)
        prog=4.4(1.4 ng/dL)

After I got there, I started backing up, I do not want to have high (4.4/1.4=3.14) over 3x overload on prog on long term base.
        All this takes enduring patient and patient doctor.
        It is lots of work.
        I keep track of it here:
        JanSz Labs & Tests - Page 23

But we have to sometime push thru, like a roto rooter pushes thru clogged drain.
        I was not able to get my cortisol higher any other way,
        but now it holds, even after I significantly reduced pregnenolone dose (900mg--->300mg)

------------------------

I see similar possibility for quelsen.
        His using 1500mg pregnenolone resulted in only slightly over range progesterone (and low Cortisol).
        Hi is using "plain" pregnenolone and have body size almost 3x of mine, he could use more pregnenolone.
        DHEAs= 465.4
        Cortisol Total=9.9 low

Last edited by JanSz; 12-26-2011, 09:03 AM.
        Leptin For Dummies http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post595567

Comment

Dr. Kruse,

I've read in Dr. Dzugan's book that they adjust their doses within a woman's cycle. In general, do you do that with your patients? I have an appointment tomorrow with my doctor and want to be clear as to what I want her to do...as Colleen said "TELL THEM WHAT TO DO." So, I'm going to.
          Chart shows dr Dzugan's research.

He set out for much more pregnenolone than he actually got in patients

Kept vit D rather low

Also cortisol low (probably because of lower preg)

I would love to see (constructive) criticism of dr Dzugan's work by dr Kruse.

I see dr Dzugan's work as one of the kind (that I was searching for, for the last ten years).
          But now, since it is out,
          lets improve on it.

===================================

Last edited by JanSz; 12-26-2011, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• JanSz. That chart is exactly what I was looking for. Now to try and understand it.

I am trying to educate myself right now so I can push my doc where I want her to go. I recently upped my 7-keto to 100 mg/day and added several adaptogens for adrenal fatigue. I will have my doc do a complete set of labs when I see her the end of Jan. By then, I will have done about 12 weeks on leptin reset and eating primal plus a fairly good weight loss. I'm expecting that will result in some changes in my labs from last year.

My doc has been good at trying supplements, but they haven't resulted in much improvement. I'm hoping that becoming leptin sensitive is going to make me more responsive to the supplements.

I'm going to wait on posting labs until after I have my latest ones in Feb. That should show whether things are moving in the right or wrong direction.

Thanks for all your help.
            63 yo male
            Started reset Nov, 2011
            SW: 291
            CW: 230

Comment

• Typically Dr. Dzugan does a 3 mos hormone restoration so I would guess that chart was after 3 mos. At the end of 3 mos you have the choice to continue or not. That's likely why the estrogen and progesterone levels aren't up a lot, this is maybe after the 3 mos. It took me nearly a year to get my levels up, even with taking double strength gels. DHEA, testosterone and pregnenolone went up much faster. It takes some time to get well. We didn't get out of whack overnight and it's not a quick fix.

Comment

JanSz. That chart is exactly what I was looking for. Now to try and understand it.

I am trying to educate myself right now so I can push my doc where I want her to go. I recently upped my 7-keto to 100 mg/day and added several adaptogens for adrenal fatigue. I will have my doc do a complete set of labs when I see her the end of Jan. By then, I will have done about 12 weeks on leptin reset and eating primal plus a fairly good weight loss. I'm expecting that will result in some changes in my labs from last year.

My doc has been good at trying supplements, but they haven't resulted in much improvement. I'm hoping that becoming leptin sensitive is going to make me more responsive to the supplements.

I'm going to wait on posting labs until after I have my latest ones in Feb. That should show whether things are moving in the right or wrong direction.

Thanks for all your help.
                I am not a doctor.
                I am 71 yo men looking for help myself.
                -------------
                Post labs and anything else when it is convenient for you.

When I hear phrase " added several adaptogens for adrenal fatigue" I have a mixed feelings.

When I hear Adrenal Fatigue I wonder why, have you had kidney problems and some surgery in that area?

Reason why you are using adaptogens is likely, because you want to replace what is missing.

Adrenal glands are newer fatigued, similarly to car's engine. May not work because:
                nobody pressed on gas pedal
                gas tank is empty
                engine is usually ready to work (when asked properly)

engine is fatigued when seized or otherwise blown up.

I prefer to check what is missing,
                then attempt to replace what is missing.

Adrenal Fatigue is a code word for disarray in circadial rhythm
                or
                low cortisol levels.

Usually from doctor you can expect variety of adaptogens and if that does not help he goes for HC hydrocortisone, prednisone or medrol.

I rather stay away from that.

I do that using this tests:

Spectracell Comprehensive Nutritional Panel

Essential & Metabolic Fatty Acids Analysis (EMFA) by Genova Diagnostics

Lipoprotein Particle Comprehensive Panel Blood Test by Spectracell
                Lipoprotein Particle Comprehensive Panel Blood Test by Spectracell

Elemental Hair Analysis by Genova Diagnostics
                Genova Diagnostics Elemental Analysis Hair

At first it is a good idea to do testing 2/year
                revise list of supplements after each test.
                Supplement not only outright deficiencies but also close calls.

Hair analysis may show toxins
                There are Detoxamin.com
                suppositoriries
                contain EDTA
                that chelates not only toxins but a good stuff too, so keep eye on it and replace missing items.

I like to use separate pills for each item, no multivitamins multiminerals.

Last edited by JanSz; 12-26-2011, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JanSz View Post
                  I am not a doctor.
                  I am 71 yo men looking for help myself.
                  -------------
                  Post labs and anything else when it is convenient for you.

When I hear phrase " added several adaptogens for adrenal fatigue" I have a mixed feelings.

When I hear Adrenal Fatigue I wonder why, have you had kidney problems and some surgery in that area?

Reason why you are using adaptogens is likely, because you want to replace what is missing.

Adrenal glands are newer fatigued, similarly to car's engine. May not work because:
                  nobody pressed on gas pedal
                  gas tank is empty
                  engine is usually ready to work (when asked properly)

engine is fatigued when seized or otherwise blown up.

I prefer to check what is missing,
                  then attempt to replace what is missing.

Adrenal Fatigue is a code word for disarray in circadial rhythm
                  or
                  low cortisol levels.

Usually from doctor you can expect variety of adaptogens and if that does not help he goes for HC hydrocortisonr, prednisone or medrol.
                  Cortisol is low at all 4 times tested. Doc had me on cortef 25 mg/day and after 6 weeks my blood pressure was dangerously high, so I am off the cortef. I never felt any difference at all from the cortef. Retested cortisol and it was even lower after being on cortef for 6 weeks. I did the adaptogens on my own. I stayed away from licorice because of high bp, but the others I am taking look safe. I see my doc about every 4-6 months, so I figured using adaptogens for 3 months might show up in the labs.

Have no idea why cortisol is low. I'm not buying what the doctors say on cortisol. I expect mine has been low most of my life. I have tried low carb diets for years and that is said to be a possible cause. Also stress may be the cause. Also have sleep problems (much improved) which might have contributed.

I was also on testosterone cream for about 6 months. My psa went from 4.1 to 14.1 so doc thought it might indicate prostate cancer. Went to urologist who prescribed antibiotics and retested. PSA back to 4.1, but both the urologist and my doc recommended staying off testosterone. Never felt any improvement while using testosterone although my free t went up a little.

Will have to check out the labs you do.

Thanks again for all the info.
                  Last edited by Huck; 12-26-2011, 12:27 PM.
                  63 yo male
                  Started reset Nov, 2011
                  SW: 291
                  CW: 230

Comment

Cortisol is low at all 4 times tested. Doc had me on cortef 25 mg/day and after 6 weeks my blood pressure was dangerously high, so I am off the cortef. I never felt any difference at all from the cortef. Retested cortisol and it was even lower after being on cortef for 6 weeks. I did the adaptogens on my own. I stayed away from licorice because of high bp, but the others I am taking look safe. I see my doc about every 4-6 months, so I figured using adaptogens for 3 months might show up in the labs.

Have no idea why cortisol is low. I'm not buying what the doctors say on cortisol. I expect mine has been low most of my life. I have tried low carb diets for years and that is said to be a possible cause. Also stress may be the cause. Also have sleep problems (much improved) which might have contributed.

I was also on testosterone cream for about 6 months. My psa went from 4.1 to 14.1 so doc thought it might indicate prostate cancer. Went to urologist who prescribed antibiotics and retested. PSA back to 4.1, but both the urologist and my doc recommended staying off testosterone. Never felt any improvement while using testosterone although my free t went up a little.

My guess is that you may have a prostate cancer.
                    What to do with it is another story.
                    It would be nice if dr Kruse chimed in with his wisdom.

In 2003 I was 63yo and also had PSA=4 and low testosterone.
                    I decided to try testosterone, but in my case PSA have not got up.
                    It took me a while before I mustered courage to take testosterone, I arranged for about 3 biopsies within previous year, all were clean.
                    As you know clean biopsy does not guarantee anything.
                    As you know, in last couple years it became fashionable to say that it is ok to take testosterone while having raised PSA.
                    But,
                    I have not seen anybody saying that it is ok to take testosterone when while you taking it it causes sharp additional raise of PSA.

Many questions.

You do not want to take GH (Growth Hormone), you may grow what is small now.

With all that said, I do not believe that Testosterone causes cancer.
                    But I think high estrogens and low progesterone are dangerous.

You should do good once over of your Steroid Hormone Panel
                    and some other items.

===============

Cortisol is part of steroid hormone Panel.
                    There may be at least three common reasons why it is low.

Saying "low" is not precise description and it gives only little information (with thirst for more)
                    It was low at the time that you measured cortisol around 8AM, that is the only sure information.
                    You may want to know
                    a--its 24 hr profile (more data points required)
                    b--how much cortisol you have made over 24 hrs

1---Screwed up Circadian Rhytm
                    2---Missing micronutrients
                    3---Missing building material, lack of up-stream hormones that are used to produce Cortisol.

re--1 use dr Kruse's BAB and the rest of his work
                    re--2 & 3 tests below:

The list below is my overall list of tests that I frequently use.
                    We can discus subset of it to be used for some particular investigation.

LONG LIST for LabCorp

1 ------- 11-Deoxycortisol
                    2 ------- 17α-Hydroxypregnenolone by HPLC-MS/MS
                    3 ------- 17α-Hydroxyprogesterone by HPLC-MS/MS
                    4 ------- Androstenedione by RIA
                    5 ------- Cortisol, Free, Serum (Free Cortisol, Serum Cortisol, CBG)
                    6 ------- Deoxycorticosterone (DOC), Serum
                    7 ------- Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)
                    8 ------- Progesterone
                    9 ------- Testosterone, Total by HPLCMS/MS
                    10 ------- Estradiol by HPLC-MS/MS
                    11 ------- Estradiol, Free by HPLC-MS/MS
                    12 ------- Estradiol,*Sensitive 140244*
                    13 ------- Estrone, Serum
                    14 ------- SHBG
                    15 ------- Dihydrotestosterone
                    16 ------- 5α-Androstane-3α, 17β-Diol Glucuronide, Serum
                    17 ------- Pregnenolone
                    18 ------- Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) Sulfate
                    19 ------- Renin Activity and Aldosterone
                    20 ------- Cortisol, Three Specimens (7:30AM, 12PM, 2:30PM)
                    21 ------- Corticosteroid-binding Globulin (CBG), Transcortin
                    22 ------- Adrenocorticotropic Hormone (ACTH), Plasma
                    23 ------- Corticotropin Releasing Hormone (CRH)
                    24 ------- Metabolic Panel (14), Comprehensive
                    25 ------- Complete Blood Count (CBC) With Differential
                    26 ------- NMR LipoProfileŽ
                    27 ------- Triiodothyronine (T3)
                    28 ------- Triiodothyronine (T3), Free, Serum
                    29 ------- Reverse T3
                    30 ------- T3 Uptake
                    31 ------- Thyroxine (T4)
                    32 ------- Thyroxine (T4), Free, Direct, Serum
                    33 ------- Thyroid-stimulating Hormone (TSH)
                    34 ------- Thyroid Antibodies
                    35 ------- Thyroglobulin, Quantitative
                    36 ------- Prolactin
                    37 ------- IGF-1
                    38 ------- IGFBP3
                    39 ------- Ferritin
                    40 ------- Insulin, serum
                    41 ------- HgA1c
                    42 ------- C-Reactive Protein (CRP), High Sensitivity (Cardiac Risk Assessment)
                    43 ------- Selenium, Whole Blood
                    44 ------- Copper, serum
                    45 ------- Zinc
                    46 ------- Magnesium, RBC
                    47 ------- Potassium, RBC
                    48 ------- Iodine
                    49 ------- Fibrinogen
                    50 ------- Homocysteine, cardio
                    51 ------- Lipoprotein (A) Lp(A)
                    52 ------- Coenzyme Q10 (198268)
                    53 -------
                    ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
                    244.90 /// 255.80 /// 783.90
                    250.00 /// 272.40 /// 788.41
                    250.01 /// 759.89 ///
                    253.30 /// 780.40 /// 257.20
                    255.40 /// 780.79 /// 601.90

=======================
                    =======================

Consider perusing my posts on this threads:

Natural Cholesterol Adjustment Theraphy (NCAT))

////
                    Last edited by JanSz; 12-26-2011, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Did you get a biopsy? That's pretty crucial. Last year my husband's went from 1.5 to 9. He had an aggressive prostate cancer. He'd been on testosterone in the hopes of not getting prostate cancer or an enlarged prostate but I don't think we were aggressive enough in doing something to block his high estrogen. Testosterone is actually beneficial according to most studies. Newer studies even seem to indicate that those men like my husband would benefit from supplementation after surgery so I'm in the process of reading all I can and talking to Dr. Dzugan and Dr. Rozakis about it.

If you have no symptoms of enlarged prostate, then it's even more crucial to get that biopsy. If you are having symptoms of enlarged prostate then that might be all it is, but high PSA and no symptoms is a bad sign. Please get a biopsy though if you haven't already! We were in AZ when Dave's PSA came back so high and we delayed about 6 weeks in getting that biopsy. By the time we got the results and were able to schedule surgery, 3 mos had passed since that initial PSA, and the cancer had moved into the seminal vesicles. Now there is a 30% chance that it can come back. I keep thinking that if only we'd known how quickly it could move, we would have gone to the dr in AZ. So don't delay!

Comment

• Originally posted by colleencoble View Post
                        Typically Dr. Dzugan does a 3 mos hormone restoration so I would guess that chart was after 3 mos. At the end of 3 mos you have the choice to continue or not. That's likely why the estrogen and progesterone levels aren't up a lot, this is maybe after the 3 mos. It took me nearly a year to get my levels up, even with taking double strength gels. DHEA, testosterone and pregnenolone went up much faster. It takes some time to get well. We didn't get out of whack overnight and it's not a quick fix.
                        the reason is inflammation.......the more of it we have intracellularly the longer it takes for hormones to readjust to pre inflammatory levels. This is why obese people take longer to reset.......the worse off you are the longer it take and more substrate hormones it could take. Same is true for a big fire.....bigger it is the more firemen and water it requires and the more time to control.

Comment

My guess is that you may have a prostate cancer.
                          What to do with it is another story.
                          It would be nice if dr Kruse chimed in with his wisdom.

In 2003 I was 63yo and also had PSA=4 and low testosterone.
                          I decided to try testosterone, but in my case PSA have not got up.
                          It took me a while before I mustered courage to take testosterone, I arranged for about 3 biopsies within previous year, all were clean.
                          As you know clean biopsy does not guarantee anything.
                          As you know, in last couple years it became fashionable to say that it is ok to take testosterone while having raised PSA.
                          But,
                          I have not seen anybody saying that it is ok to take testosterone when while you taking it it causes sharp additional raise of PSA.

Many questions.

You do not want to take GH (Growth Hormone), you may grow what is small now.

With all that said, I do not believe that Testosterone causes cancer.
                          But I think high estrogens and low progesterone are dangerous.

You should do good once over of your Steroid Hormone Panel
                          and some other items.

===============

Cortisol is part of steroid hormone Panel.
                          There may be at least three common reasons why it is low.

Saying "low" is not precise description and it gives only little information (with thirst for more)
                          It was low at the time that you measured cortisol around 8AM, that is the only sure information.
                          You may want to know
                          a--its 24 hr profile (more data points required)
                          b--how much cortisol you have made over 24 hrs

1---Screwed up Circadian Rhytm
                          2---Missing micronutrients
                          3---Missing building material, lack of up-stream hormones that are used to produce Cortisol.

re--1 use dr Kruse's BAB and the rest of his work
                          re--2 & 3 tests below:

The list below is my overall list of tests that I frequently use.
                          We can discus subset of it to be used for some particular investigation.

LONG LIST for LabCorp

1 ------- 11-Deoxycortisol
                          2 ------- 17α-Hydroxypregnenolone by HPLC-MS/MS
                          3 ------- 17α-Hydroxyprogesterone by HPLC-MS/MS
                          4 ------- Androstenedione by RIA
                          5 ------- Cortisol, Free, Serum (Free Cortisol, Serum Cortisol, CBG)
                          6 ------- Deoxycorticosterone (DOC), Serum
                          7 ------- Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)
                          8 ------- Progesterone
                          9 ------- Testosterone, Total by HPLCMS/MS
                          10 ------- Estradiol by HPLC-MS/MS
                          11 ------- Estradiol, Free by HPLC-MS/MS
                          12 ------- Estradiol,*Sensitive 140244*
                          13 ------- Estrone, Serum
                          14 ------- SHBG
                          15 ------- Dihydrotestosterone
                          16 ------- 5α-Androstane-3α, 17β-Diol Glucuronide, Serum
                          17 ------- Pregnenolone
                          18 ------- Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) Sulfate
                          19 ------- Renin Activity and Aldosterone
                          20 ------- Cortisol, Three Specimens (7:30AM, 12PM, 2:30PM)
                          21 ------- Corticosteroid-binding Globulin (CBG), Transcortin
                          22 ------- Adrenocorticotropic Hormone (ACTH), Plasma
                          23 ------- Corticotropin Releasing Hormone (CRH)
                          24 ------- Metabolic Panel (14), Comprehensive
                          25 ------- Complete Blood Count (CBC) With Differential
                          26 ------- NMR LipoProfileŽ
                          27 ------- Triiodothyronine (T3)
                          28 ------- Triiodothyronine (T3), Free, Serum
                          29 ------- Reverse T3
                          30 ------- T3 Uptake
                          31 ------- Thyroxine (T4)
                          32 ------- Thyroxine (T4), Free, Direct, Serum
                          33 ------- Thyroid-stimulating Hormone (TSH)
                          34 ------- Thyroid Antibodies
                          35 ------- Thyroglobulin, Quantitative
                          36 ------- Prolactin
                          37 ------- IGF-1
                          38 ------- IGFBP3
                          39 ------- Ferritin
                          40 ------- Insulin, serum
                          41 ------- HgA1c
                          42 ------- C-Reactive Protein (CRP), High Sensitivity (Cardiac Risk Assessment)
                          43 ------- Selenium, Whole Blood
                          44 ------- Copper, serum
                          45 ------- Zinc
                          46 ------- Magnesium, RBC
                          47 ------- Potassium, RBC
                          48 ------- Iodine
                          49 ------- Fibrinogen
                          50 ------- Homocysteine, cardio
                          51 ------- Lipoprotein (A) Lp(A)
                          52 ------- Coenzyme Q10 (198268)
                          53 -------
                          ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
                          244.90 /// 255.80 /// 783.90
                          250.00 /// 272.40 /// 788.41
                          250.01 /// 759.89 ///
                          253.30 /// 780.40 /// 257.20
                          255.40 /// 780.79 /// 601.90

=======================
                          =======================

Consider perusing my posts on this threads:

Natural Cholesterol Adjustment Theraphy (NCAT))

////
                          If everyone had those 52 tests drawn my life would be easy..........

Comment

Chart shows dr Dzugan's research.

He set out for much more pregnenolone than he actually got in patients

Kept vit D rather low

Also cortisol low (probably because of lower preg)

I would love to see (constructive) criticism of dr Dzugan's work by dr Kruse.

I see dr Dzugan's work as one of the kind (that I was searching for, for the last ten years).
                            But now, since it is out,
                            lets improve on it.

===================================

Pretty simple Jan......he is too conservative and he is because he does not factor in leptin to his equation and never has. He looks at hormones from cortisol down approach. My ideas are too look at the master hormone and then look down and see how the cells are responding by looking at the neurohumeral response of their lifestyle choices.......I have no tolerance to mediocre. So many patients dont like that because humans love mediocrity...........If you love it you tend to get it.......if you hate it you rarely get it. Its a thought that changed my DNA.

Comment

Merci. If she knows how to do it; I'm willing to do the work. If she doesn't it shouldn't be an obstacle.
                              then ask her not me.......that is where the rubber meets the road.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vkiernan View Post
                                Nuttmegs, did your doc say pregnenolone or prednisone???? Big diff between the two.
                                You know, Vkiernan, that is a good question. He said it literally as we were walking out the door so it didnt register completely. He wants to wait until i get the cortisol tests in so now I'm thinking prednisone - is that basically the same thing as HC?

Comment

Working...
                                X