Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by primal gal View Post
    So no snacking ever, even after reset?
    That is coming soon i promise.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Karoliina View Post
      I've been trying this for a few days now. "Trying", because I haven't been able to stop snacking after dinner... I've had difficulties falling asleep for as long as I can remember, and I absolutely cannot fall asleep when hungry. So if I get hungry after dinner, before I fall asleep, it's either an evening snack (usually greek yogurt or something else with some carbs, helps me sleep) or a sleepless, hungry night. I'll just have to eat more at dinner I guess... I'm gonna figure out how I can stick to three meals and still be able to sleep. But my question isn't really about the sleep issue, it's about my skin.

      I've had dry skin and atopic dermatitis for my whole life. Going low carb always makes my skin even drier, so that's why I've never eaten a LC diet for a long period (more than a couple of months). Now after only four days of lower carbs - and even now I haven't gone as low carb as the Leptin Reset "rules" state, around 80g on most days - I've developed dry, flaky patches on my face. And I do eat plenty of fat, mostly butter and coconut oil.

      So I know from experience that I personally don't do so well on a LC diet. But I also am a tiny bit overweight and have a lot of hunger issues, so I suspect that I might be leptin resistant. What should I do? Try to fight this 6-8 week reset out with lower carbs, spite the dry skin and sleep issues? What if I just eat a little more carbs, but continue with the high-protein breakfasts and three meals a day etc.?
      Up your vitamin d level and use topical and oral coconut oil. Youll thank me soon. Stay on the reset. The skin issues go away during your change.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
        Up your vitamin d level and use topical and oral coconut oil. Youll thank me soon. Stay on the reset. The skin issues go away during your change.
        Thank you for the reply! I have to say I'm a bit skeptical about all this, but I'm still going to continue with this experiment. Can't hurt to try it. So more coconut oil and vitamin D3 it is! I might still go over the 50g carb limit on some days - how bad would it be to eat, say, 80 grams of carbs daily? I'm a 170 cm, 70 kg (5'7" and 155 lbs), 26 year old female.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Karoliina View Post
          Thank you for the reply! I have to say I'm a bit skeptical about all this, but I'm still going to continue with this experiment. Can't hurt to try it. So more coconut oil and vitamin D3 it is! I might still go over the 50g carb limit on some days - how bad would it be to eat, say, 80 grams of carbs daily? I'm a 170 cm, 70 kg (5'7" and 155 lbs), 26 year old female.
          At your stature, stay at the 50 grams of protein and up the amount of coconut oil you intake in the AM. This will carry you through til 5pm dinner, If you can't make it to dinner, then up the carbs and coconut oil. Soon you find your comfort level. Best to limit carbs to change your digestive system from being a carb/sugar burner over to being a fat burner. You will like the results.

          You can be skeptical but remember you are doing brain surgery on yourself by sychronizing your hypothalamus with light cycles to become leptin sensitive.

          Many here have had excellent results when they follow the protocol to the letter. Change your thinking from skeptical to locked into becoming leptin sensitive.

          Your skin problems will go away once your body decides that fat is what it is susposed to burn...not carbs. Dr K wants you to use copious amounts of coconut oil. Heal your skin from the inside out but get temporary relief by topical application of coconut oil. Vitacost.com or swansonsvitamins.com or vitaminshoppe.com have 54oz containers of Nutiva coconut oil all for about $23.50 each with free shipping for a min purchase.
          Last edited by Dextery; 11-08-2011, 06:55 AM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Karoliina View Post
            Thank you for the reply! I have to say I'm a bit skeptical about all this, but I'm still going to continue with this experiment. Can't hurt to try it. So more coconut oil and vitamin D3 it is! I might still go over the 50g carb limit on some days - how bad would it be to eat, say, 80 grams of carbs daily? I'm a 170 cm, 70 kg (5'7" and 155 lbs), 26 year old female.
            Those specs tell me nothing about whether this a good idea of not. Real testing does with it you just have to employ it emperically and adjust on the fly. Im hoping that people who read this thread will see the people who test actually have the light bulb moment.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Dextery View Post
              At your stature, stay at the 50 grams of protein and up the amount of coconut oil you intake in the AM. This will carry you through til 5pm dinner, If you can't make it to dinner, then up the carbs and coconut oil. Soon you find your comfort level. Best to limit carbs to change your digestive system from being a carb/sugar burner over to being a fat burner. You will like the results.

              You can be skeptical but remember you are doing brain surgery on yourself by sychronizing your hypothalamus with light cycles to become leptin sensitive.

              Many here have had excellent results when they follow the protocol to the letter. Change your thinking from skeptical to locked into becoming leptin sensitive.

              Your skin problems will go away once your body decides that fat is what it is susposed to burn...not carbs. Dr K wants you to use copious amounts of coconut oil. Heal your skin from the inside out but get temporary relief by topical application of coconut oil. Vitacost.com or swansonsvitamins.com or vitaminshoppe.com have 54oz containers of Nutiva coconut oil all for about $23.50 each with free shipping for a min purchase.
              Egg, whole, raw, fresh
              1 jumbo 8.18 g proteins
              6 jumbo eggs=49 grams proteins
              8 jumbo eggs=65.44 grams proteins
              ======================================

              Beef, ground, 75% lean meat / 25% fat,
              1 lb raw meat = 69.75 g proteins
              ======================================

              Pork, bacon, raw
              100g ----11.60 g proteins
              1lb-------11.6*4.5359237=52.6 g proteins
              ======================================

              Pork, fresh, ground, raw
              100g 16.88 g proteins
              1lb-------16.88*4.5359237=76.6 g proteins
              ======================================



              /
              Leptin For Dummies http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post595567

              Comment


              • Originally posted by LSSeeker
                Dr. K said this:

                "LDL has a lot of contextual nuance to it. THe shear number is unimportant. But what fraction and what company it has is vitally important. So if your LDL is part A and 280 and the lowest fraction is sdLDL and your HDL is above 60 as a men or 70 as a woman and the HS CRP is close to zero and vitamin D above 50..........You got no issues. "

                I don't know my part A and part B fraction. Assuming I do (big assumption until I test, but my cholesterol has never ever been like this til low carb 6 months ago), my HDL in the last 4 months has been 77 and most recently 68. That's pretty close to DK's 70. My HS CRP is .33. My vit D is 42.3. With some supplementation of D3 and maybe a NMR Lipoprofile, I may have my argument for my statin pushing doc.
                The statin pushing doc may not even know about sdLDL and large bouyant LDL particles. Remember that there are many studies that show that folks with higher total cholesterol...250-300 live longer lives with better quality. That also goes for high levels of Vit D3.

                Comment


                • Is the use of cholesterol in mortality ris... [J Eval Clin Pract. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI For your doctor. In women, death rates go UP as cholesterol goes down, and death rates go DOWN as cholesterol goes up. In men, the same thing happens, until you get to a certain number, then the rates go the other way. I don't have access to the full article to know what the magic numbers are.

                  This article is getting a lot of attention, even though a lot of previous studies have had similar findings. The tide will change. Some day



                  My bloating was at a record high this weekend and I have no idea why. Yesterday it went down two pounds & I lost an inch on my hips and over an inch on my waist. Today it's down another pound (I still look about 4 months pregnant, just not 6 pushing 7). I have no idea why. I can't see a pattern in the food.

                  I'm thinking of eating nothing but beef, carrots, and coconut oil for a week to see if I can get a baseline without bloating.

                  I've maxed out on the HCl and can now tolerate only 3-4 caps a day; I'm taking a sip of fermented veggie juice before each meal; I'm staying way below 30g carbs. The bloating ranges from bad to worse and I can't figure out what makes the changes.


                  On another note, I think I'm starting to feel woozy today, so ketosis is back after vacation and I'm ready to progress with the 8 weeks of hard core LR. Another short jaunt away from home this weekend, but I feel very ready to stay 100% compliant with the foods needed for my health. I didn't lose much, if any, energy or sleep benefits while gone, so our plan to camp and make our own meals 95% of the time seems to have done the trick!


                  Dextery, I'm interested in how your progress is going! You are another one of those offering so much to us hereon the thread!
                  5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                  Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                  Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                  Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                  ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Karoliina View Post
                    Thank you for the reply! I have to say I'm a bit skeptical about all this, but I'm still going to continue with this experiment. Can't hurt to try it. So more coconut oil and vitamin D3 it is! I might still go over the 50g carb limit on some days - how bad would it be to eat, say, 80 grams of carbs daily? I'm a 170 cm, 70 kg (5'7" and 155 lbs), 26 year old female.
                    Hey Karolina, I understand where you're coming from, low carb never worked for me, either. In March and April I tried going low carb-high fat to see if it resolved my issues of low energy/brain fog/depression. I tried for 8 weeks before I gave up and decided maybe my adrenals were too shot to do low carb.

                    On July 1st I started the reset. I was eating a bit more fruit than everyone else but it still worked for me. If I ate a little bit too much at night (or past 7:30), I still ate my BAB in the morning and my appetite started to normalize. I realized after a couple of months that I could cut out the carbs without losing my energy. I also was sleeping well without eating before bed (HUGE for me), my anxiety was getting so much better, and for the first time in my life I had a "full" signal. I was bulimic for 25 years (stopped in 2004) and my appetite has NEVER been normal.


                    I changed a few things after the first month of the reset. I stopped working out during the day, hard to stop doing but it really helped with the nighttime pigouts : ). I also increased the amount of coconut oil/manna I was consuming. I think the coconut oil might have helped me change into a fat burner along with the meal timing.

                    My reset has taken longer than some other people, but I really don't mind. I was being very careful to be forgiving of myself so I didn't trigger any eating disorder thinking. To be honest this has helped my binging problem by relieving my anxiety and stopping my hunger.

                    So stick with it!!!!

                    P.S.- I was skeptical, too!
                    Last edited by Kimchiqueen; 11-08-2011, 08:47 AM.
                    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough.

                    http://thesourpathisthesweetest.com/

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                      Is the use of cholesterol in mortality ris... [J Eval Clin Pract. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI For your doctor. In women, death rates go UP as cholesterol goes down, and death rates go DOWN as cholesterol goes up. In men, the same thing happens, until you get to a certain number, then the rates go the other way. I don't have access to the full article to know what the magic numbers are.
                      Welcome back, MamaGrok. Eeeek! Not good news for those of us with low cholesterol. I had read that death from cancer & suicide increases with low cholesterol, but now they are even saying heart. Deep breath, find my happy place . . .

                      Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                      My bloating was at a record high this weekend and I have no idea why. Yesterday it went down two pounds & I lost an inch on my hips and over an inch on my waist. Today it's down another pound (I still look about 4 months pregnant, just not 6 pushing 7). I have no idea why. I can't see a pattern in the food.

                      I'm thinking of eating nothing but beef, carrots, and coconut oil for a week to see if I can get a baseline without bloating.

                      I've maxed out on the HCl and can now tolerate only 3-4 caps a day; I'm taking a sip of fermented veggie juice before each meal; I'm staying way below 30g carbs. The bloating ranges from bad to worse and I can't figure out what makes the changes.
                      Glad to hear your stomach acid is picking up. I'm still quite high on the Betaine HCl, but it really makes a difference for me (satiety & relief from constipation). Carrots are high in fructose and would cause me to bloat. I've considered doing an elimination diet. . . again, too. My system just seems to get more and more sensitive each time I start cutting things out.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Kimchiqueen View Post
                        Hey Karolina, I understand where you're coming from, low carb never worked for me, either. In March and April I tried going low carb-high fat to see if it resolved my issues of low energy/brain fog/depression. I tried for 8 weeks before I gave up and decided maybe my adrenals were too shot to do low carb.

                        On July 1st I started the reset. I was eating a bit more fruit than everyone else but it still worked for me. If I ate a little bit too much at night (or past 7:30), I still ate my BAB in the morning and my appetite started to normalize. I realized after a couple of months that I could cut out the carbs without losing my energy. I also was sleeping well without eating before bed (HUGE for me), my anxiety was getting so much better, and for the first time in my life I had a "full" signal. I was bulimic for 25 years (stopped in 2004) and my appetite has NEVER been normal.


                        I changed a few things after the first month of the reset. I stopped working out during the day, hard to stop doing but it really helped with the nighttime pigouts : ). I also increased the amount of coconut oil/manna I was consuming. I think the coconut oil might have helped me change into a fat burner along with the meal timing.

                        My reset has taken longer than some other people, but I really don't mind. I was being very careful to be forgiving of myself so I didn't trigger any eating disorder thinking. To be honest this has helped my binging problem by relieving my anxiety and stopping my hunger.

                        So stick with it!!!!

                        P.S.- I was skeptical, too!
                        Thanks for sharing. Very encouraging. Glad the easing into it worked for you. Sounds like you've made a lot of progress.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by LSSeeker
                          Dr. K said this:

                          "LDL has a lot of contextual nuance to it. THe shear number is unimportant. But what fraction and what company it has is vitally important. So if your LDL is part A and 280 and the lowest fraction is sdLDL and your HDL is above 60 as a men or 70 as a woman and the HS CRP is close to zero and vitamin D above 50..........You got no issues. "

                          I don't know my part A and part B fraction. Assuming I do (big assumption until I test, but my cholesterol has never ever been like this til low carb 6 months ago), my HDL in the last 4 months has been 77 and most recently 68. That's pretty close to DK's 70. My HS CRP is .33. My vit D is 42.3. With some supplementation of D3 and maybe a NMR Lipoprofile, I may have my argument for my statin pushing doc.
                          You might have posted this (I'm a few pages behind on the thread today), but what are your ratios (Total/HDL, Trigs/HDL and LDL/HDL)? Look at those too. If your ratios are good (ideal = 4.4 or less for women, ideal = 2 or less, ideal = 4.3 or less respectively), that's the easiest argument to get a doc to back off I've found. No cardiologist I've ever seen would put me on a statin because my ratios are great. My PCPs always try the statin with me and I just calmly tell them to look at my ratios. That normally shuts them up. If it doesn't, then I request a cardio referral and that does shut them up. My current PCP pushed statins last time I was there in Oct. and I told her that since my ratios were excellent that I wouldn't consider it, but if she would do all of the thyroid tests then we might be able to talk about T3 as an option to dealing with my cholesterol. That got her to order the correct labs and do the endo referral.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Kimchiqueen View Post
                            Hey Karolina, I understand where you're coming from, low carb never worked for me, either. In March and April I tried going low carb-high fat to see if it resolved my issues of low energy/brain fog/depression. I tried for 8 weeks before I gave up and decided maybe my adrenals were too shot to do low carb.

                            On July 1st I started the reset. I was eating a bit more fruit than everyone else but it still worked for me. If I ate a little bit too much at night (or past 7:30), I still ate my BAB in the morning and my appetite started to normalize. I realized after a couple of months that I could cut out the carbs without losing my energy. I also was sleeping well without eating before bed (HUGE for me), my anxiety was getting so much better, and for the first time in my life I had a "full" signal. I was bulimic for 25 years (stopped in 2004) and my appetite has NEVER been normal.


                            I changed a few things after the first month of the reset. I stopped working out during the day, hard to stop doing but it really helped with the nighttime pigouts : ). I also increased the amount of coconut oil/manna I was consuming. I think the coconut oil might have helped me change into a fat burner along with the meal timing.

                            My reset has taken longer than some other people, but I really don't mind. I was being very careful to be forgiving of myself so I didn't trigger any eating disorder thinking. To be honest this has helped my binging problem by relieving my anxiety and stopping my hunger.

                            So stick with it!!!!

                            P.S.- I was skeptical, too!
                            Oops, I mean I was anorexic and/or bulimic for 20 years. I'm making myself older than I actually am .
                            If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough.

                            http://thesourpathisthesweetest.com/

                            Comment


                            • Kimchiqueen, it's so nice to read that! And congratulations on your transformation, great job! Good to hear this can work with a little more carbs too. I do plan to aim for under 50 grams, but I might have to eat a bit more carbs on occasion to be able to sleep well. I'll be sure to take in a lot of coconut oil.

                              I've also had problems with binge eating, so it's great if this reset helps with those tendencies too. The main reason I'm doing this is that I want to reduce my hunger levels. Even though I have been eating well, enough protein and fats etc., I still get hungry way too often. And simply going low carb hasn't helped with that.

                              As for the skepticism, I didn't mean for it in any way to offend Dr. Kruse. I still have a lot to learn about human metabolism, biochemistry, hormones and so on, and I want to find out myself what science actually says about this. So until I'm done with that (which is not going to happen very soon, if ever), I have to be a bit skeptical. And of course if this actually works for me, there will be no need for the skepticism anymore. (But I still am going to study the subject, as I find it extremely interesting.)

                              Today I had breakfast at 8:30 am (50 g protein, veggies and some butter) and lunch at 2 pm (beef, veggies, coconut oil and some cheese). But at 5 pm I was already hungry, despite my lunch being over 650 kcal and 55 g protein! So I had an early dinner and ate A LOT, in order to not get hungry again before bed. I almost felt sick after dinner. On other days as well I've noticed I have no problem going 6+ hrs between breakfast and lunch, but after lunch I get hungry way too soon. I hope this will change as I continue the reset. I'm a full-time student, and it's hard to concentrate on studying when I'm hungry.
                              Last edited by Karoliina; 11-08-2011, 09:49 AM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DrMommyN View Post
                                Carrots are high in fructose and would cause me to bloat. I've considered doing an elimination diet. . . again, too.
                                High in fructose, huh? I'm trying to figure out whether FODMAPS, cruciferous veggies, starches, dairy (butter) or WHAT may be causing the severe bloating. At first I settled on beef, greens, and CO, but then thought carrots might be more benign. Maybe I'll just eat liver for the vitamins and skip veggies for a week, lol. But then you have the complicating factor of extreme low carbs, so I don't know! I'll have to keep thinking on what to try for my experiment. I have a friend who had to do turkey & pears; I can't do fruit.
                                5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                                Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                                Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                                Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                                ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X