Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
    at 5'7" 133 are you sure you are even leptin resistant? you are not what i think anyone would consider overweight
    I'm thinking each person knows her best weight. This is perhaps not true in anorexics, but for the most part I let people decide whether they're LR or weigh more than they want to.
    Wisdom begins in the recognition of how little we know.

(teaching of Socrates)

Comment

• Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
      Yes, I've tried that. I find it very depressing. The idea of my youth slipping away without having ever had a body I can feel good about in a bathing suit sucks. I have a body that rarely looks bad in clothes but if you saw me in a bathing suit I doubt anyone would argue that I'm not looking so good. I'm gaining lots of muscle, but the fat sticks, so I just weigh more and bulk out more but still look just as sloppy.
      PaleoMom, I can totally relate. I'm thin. I don't need to lose any weight, but I still have a fair amount of belly fat/love handles and a little on my upper thighs. I look fine in clothes but not so good in a swimsuit. I've always been skinnyfat (thanks to years of a high carb, vegetarian diet) or, at my heaviest, sort of thick around the middle and smaller everywhere else. I envy people who gain evenly.
      I know that people with more to lose often want to wring people like you and I around the neck for complaining, but, then again, I also know how frustrating it is to read before/after stories where someone loses 40 lbs and looks tight and fit in their bikini while we can't seem to lose that last bit of jiggly dough, no matter what!

I think that hormones are the key for me. I have a history of low progesterone/luteal phase defect and low cortisol (adrenal fatigue). When your cortisol is high, you can put on belly fat, but what people don't realize is that when it's too low, it's very hard to get rid of the belly fat. Low progesterone also results in estrogen dominance, which is great for putting on belly fat and cellulite (Whoo-hoo! NOT.)
      So, maybe getting a saliva hormone test done to see what's going on would really help.

I decided to start using sublingual progesterone drops this cycle to help my adrenals spare cortisol production and it seemed like my midsection was less puffy within days. I just finished the round, as I'm on day 26 of my cycle and my period is about to start. I'm a week into the leptin reset and I've lost a couple of pounds, but my pants are looser and my lovehandles look a little better. I feel like I'm FINALLY losing from my waistline, whereas I hadn't been on my regular Primal/Paleo diet.

PS: I have a slinky long tank top on right now that normally would showcase the lovehandles and I'm about to start my period, so I'm usually retaining a bit of water this time of month but, miraculously, I look alright!! My hubby told me that I'm, noticeably thinner in the midsection (and I think he's not just being sweet this time)
      http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Horsewoman View Post
        I would just like to catch a break so I can process past stuff without new stuff piling on me!
        I am right here with you! I just need to catch a break to regroup. One thing I have and am working on is self-forgiveness. Forgiving myself for mistakes, bad choices, the way shit happens and accepting that while it happened, I suffered from mental illness from it, that I don't have to be ill forever and let it ruin me forever. I know we can do this! We just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other. And keep asking Maude (the universe, god, allah, buddha, whatever works) for some divine wisdom and strength.

I am bone tired from the last 5+ years. But the only way past it, is through it. I have to worry to learn how to manage worry. After my biopsy next week, I will be released or have a new plan of action. I'm an action gal, not a waiting type. I will keep you in the light and hope that in a year, we will be singing a new tune!
        My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70684.html

Comment

• Originally posted by DFH View Post
          Just briefly-

ML has a leptin diet with 5 rules. It's not Kruse's 6-8 week leptin reset routine.

Kruse is pro-Paleo/Primal. ML is not. The ML authors are really down on Atkins.

Kruse is more specific about when to ease up on exercise when you are doing the reset.

I think ML has one foot in CW, and one foot in the logical side, but they are not Primal.

Most of what ML and Kruse say about leptin only is in good agreement.
          Correct. I find that I use a combination of different resources, because I'm definitely in disagreement with Richards on grains, carbs, but he does explain many of the leptin issues in a more readily understood manner. There is crossover in all the main sources I turn to: Richard, Galland, Kruse, and Gedgaudis.
          WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kymma View Post
            I am right here with you! I just need to catch a break to regroup. One thing I have and am working on is self-forgiveness. Forgiving myself for mistakes, bad choices, the way shit happens and accepting that while it happened, I suffered from mental illness from it, that I don't have to be ill forever and let it ruin me forever. I know we can do this! We just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other. And keep asking Maude (the universe, god, allah, buddha, whatever works) for some divine wisdom and strength.

I am bone tired from the last 5+ years. But the only way past it, is through it. I have to worry to learn how to manage worry. After my biopsy next week, I will be released or have a new plan of action. I'm an action gal, not a waiting type. I will keep you in the light and hope that in a year, we will be singing a new tune!
            Here's hoping, for you too .

I was inspired by this thread to go back to the Adrenal Fatigue book and I made somenotes about some of the lifestyle stuff. All good stuff I have been working on anyway, but lately with feeling rotten again I've ended up back in the ole "nothing but housework, work, parenting, internet and sleep" groove. Hopefully this'll help.
            Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
            Harold Whitman

Comment

• Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
              PaleoMom, I can totally relate. I'm thin. I don't need to lose any weight, but I still have a fair amount of belly fat/love handles and a little on my upper thighs. I look fine in clothes but not so good in a swimsuit. I've always been skinnyfat (thanks to years of a high carb, vegetarian diet) or, at my heaviest, sort of thick around the middle and smaller everywhere else. I envy people who gain evenly.
              I know that people with more to lose often want to wring people like you and I around the neck for complaining, but, then again, I also know how frustrating it is to read before/after stories where someone loses 40 lbs and looks tight and fit in their bikini while we can't seem to lose that last bit of jiggly dough, no matter what!

I think that hormones are the key for me. I have a history of low progesterone/luteal phase defect and low cortisol (adrenal fatigue). When your cortisol is high, you can put on belly fat, but what people don't realize is that when it's too low, it's very hard to get rid of the belly fat. Low progesterone also results in estrogen dominance, which is great for putting on belly fat and cellulite (Whoo-hoo! NOT.)
              So, maybe getting a saliva hormone test done to see what's going on would really help.

I decided to start using sublingual progesterone drops this cycle to help my adrenals spare cortisol production and it seemed like my midsection was less puffy within days. I just finished the round, as I'm on day 26 of my cycle and my period is about to start. I'm a week into the leptin reset and I've lost a couple of pounds, but my pants are looser and my lovehandles look a little better. I feel like I'm FINALLY losing from my waistline, whereas I hadn't been on my regular Primal/Paleo diet.

PS: I have a slinky long tank top on right now that normally would showcase the lovehandles and I'm about to start my period, so I'm usually retaining a bit of water this time of month but, miraculously, I look alright!! My hubby told me that I'm, noticeably thinner in the midsection (and I think he's not just being sweet this time)
              Thanks to so many of you for all the support. This group is amazing as always!

I did have severe adrenal fatigue that I have been treating for years. I haven't been tested recently but have not stopped all the lifestyle "helpers" and have gotten rid of most of the symptoms. While I'm complaining about my belly and love handles, they are actually better than they used to be in the sense that they are no longer holding more than their share anymore, I'm distributed quite evenly now. Good hormonal sign, yet still unattractive!

I have been taking sublingual progesterone at a very low dose for about 6 months now. I think it has helped with my energy a tad, but I almost think it has made my weight loss harder, but it is subtle, so I'm not sure. I should probably shell out the bucks and get some fresh saliva samples taken to know for sure where things are.

After reading the ML book it just made me feel like if I followed the protocol that all my hormones will fall in line anyway (especially since my diet and lifestyle factors were already in place). I guess that may still be true, perhaps it just needs more time. I think for now I'll give another go at lower carb in combo with the leptin protocol and consider some new saliva tests.
              PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

• Originally posted by hazyjane View Post

Not that I'm suggesting this but for those that are slim everywhere except those problem areas I wonder what would happen if those areas were liposuctioned would you start putting on fat in different areas to make up for the liposuctioned areas?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sue View Post
                  Not that I'm suggesting this but for those that are slim everywhere except those problem areas I wonder what would happen if those areas were liposuctioned would you start putting on fat in different areas to make up for the liposuctioned areas?
                  There is research out there stating that if you go get liposuction lets say on you're stomach, what was removed will come back somewhere else on the body to compensate for that loss.
                  Georgette

Comment

• My question now is this, for those of us that are seeing success with this protocol are may of you considering taking this beyond the 6-8 weeks? I'm planning on it.
                    Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
                      There is research out there stating that if you go get liposuction lets say on you're stomach, what was removed will come back somewhere else on the body to compensate for that loss.
                      Yes especially if you just used it as a quick fix and continued eating crappy food. It comes back in a different area as can't in the lipoed area. How about in those eating healthy diets and doing all the right things I just wonder if appetite would be increased to get you to eat more and make up for that fat storage area?

Comment

My question now is this, for those of us that are seeing success with this protocol are may of you considering taking this beyond the 6-8 weeks? I'm planning on it.
                        You definitely should continue as getting good results.

Comment

My question now is this, for those of us that are seeing success with this protocol are may of you considering taking this beyond the 6-8 weeks? I'm planning on it.
                          Even though I'm not getting results, I fully intend to continue this long term. After reading the book I just feel so convinced that this is the healthiest way to eat and keep my hormones healthy life-long. I suppose if things never improve I might rethink that, but at the moment I still think we're on the right track even if it might be a long term investment.
                          PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

• Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
                            I have been taking sublingual progesterone at a very low dose for about 6 months now. I think it has helped with my energy a tad, but I almost think it has made my weight loss harder, but it is subtle, so I'm not sure. ..
                            I haven't heard of sublingual. Is that prescription?

Comment

• Originally posted by DFH View Post
                              I haven't heard of sublingual. Is that prescription?
                              It is in Australia. It's called a troche if I recall correctly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sue View Post
                                My sister had a tummy tuck and lipo several years ago.Since then she has gained weight. Her lower abdomen remains relatively flat/fat free. She now has a lot more upper truncal /body fat. It looks disproportionate.

Her experience helped me decide to live with my "issues".

Comment

Working...
                                X