Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MollyMoo View Post
    PaleoMom - I hope Dr K sees your post and offers some advice for you . I have a couple of observations if you don't mind? 1350 seems low to me (my breakfast alone on the reset is about 800 cals) - I'm the same height as you and lose on around 2100 cals but those cals are protein and fat with approx 30 carbs (I use net so probably around 50) - having said that, I'm overweight by about 20lbs so maybe I can get away with more and maybe I'll have to drop them at some point? When you did low-carb, how long did you do it for, did you do it for long enough to get through 'the flu'?

Having said all this, this is only my second day - no weight loss but inch loss on my belly (1.5").
    I have been paleo for a few years and then in the 2 months before starting the reset I started doing IF and lowered my carbs to below 50, but most days were closer to 20. I was way past "the flu". During that time I experimented with calories a lot ranging from 1600 up to 2400. I found that I could maintain with 1800 on rest days and 2200 on lifting days. I wasn't losing though and tried lowering cals but it did nothing.

Then the women's thread came up (I don't remember the thread title) about how many of us lose better with a bit more carbs. At the same time the leptin thread started and so I started doing both at the same time. I lowered the cals because I had just been maintaining and I thought with the leptin reset that I had a chance at losing using a deficit without messing up my metabolism worse.
    PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Horsewoman View Post
      You've been trying to lose 5lbs since high school? Seriously, do you never just think you'd like to get on with your life and not worry about it? Not meaning to offend, I used to obsess over every pound myself. Getting sick and gaining 130lbs in 3 yrs cured me of that.

If the reset isn't working for you surely that's because you're not leptin resistant or overweight, I don't think it's purpose is to force your body to an unnaturally low weight.
      Yes, I've tried that. I find it very depressing. The idea of my youth slipping away without having ever had a body I can feel good about in a bathing suit sucks. I have a body that rarely looks bad in clothes but if you saw me in a bathing suit I doubt anyone would argue that I'm not looking so good. I'm gaining lots of muscle, but the fat sticks, so I just weigh more and bulk out more but still look just as sloppy.

Comment

• Maybe I'll give another go at VLC. Perhaps in combination with the leptin protocol it will react differently for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
          Yes, I've tried that. I find it very depressing. The idea of my youth slipping away without having ever had a body I can feel good about in a bathing suit sucks. I have a body that rarely looks bad in clothes but if you saw me in a bathing suit I doubt anyone would argue that I'm not looking so good. I'm gaining lots of muscle, but the fat sticks, so I just weigh more and bulk out more but still look just as sloppy.
          Fair enough if that's how you see yourself. I am willing to bet if I saw you in a bathing suit I'd disagree. But then I think I look pretty darn good at 130 (if a little scrawny round the face and neck) and I'm 3in shorter than you. I just hate to see women feeling bad about themselves because of our culture of physical "perfection".
          Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
          Harold Whitman

Comment

If you spent a day on the beach around Atlantic City, I can assure you that you would feel good about yourself in a bathing suit

Comment

• Originally posted by ladycarnivore
              Day 19~ up +10lbs.. official stop leptin reset day!
              I'm up as well... but I've decided to incorporate this with Paleobirds cal/counting thread and see what happens... I'm stalled out and not going anywhere... but I am seeing some positives w/the Leptin Rest...so I'm just going to modify it... official cal counting begins on Monday
              The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
              What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
              SW 190lb
              Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
              25 Sep 2011 160lbs
              1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
              GW ~135lbs
              5'3"
              Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

Fair enough if that's how you see yourself. I am willing to bet if I saw you in a bathing suit I'd disagree. But then I think I look pretty darn good at 130 (if a little scrawny round the face and neck) and I'm 3in shorter than you. I just hate to see women feeling bad about themselves because of our culture of physical "perfection".
                You might also have a lot more muscle than I do. Last year I had a bod pod and was 131 with 99 lbs. lean, 24% bf. I have been lifting since then and I know I've gained muscle and a tiny bit of fat. I also know though that I'm still really weak and will probably need another 10 lbs of muscle before I have what would seem like a normal amount of strength. I can barely do 3 push-ups still. I'm just saying your 130 could be my 125.

Comment

what is your exercise program like? are you doing any weight training? bodyweight or otherwise?
                  Primal Chaos
                  37yo 6'5"
                  6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                  current 338lbs 49" waist
                  goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

• oops nevermind that last post

you mention not being able to do pushups, have you tried the push up progression as layed out in the primal blueprint fitness?
                    Primal Chaos
                    37yo 6'5"
                    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                    current 338lbs 49" waist
                    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
                      what is your exercise program like? are you doing any weight training? bodyweight or otherwise?
                      I do Body By Science lifting protocol. I did sprints for a while, but haven't had the energy for it since the allergy season hit me, same goes for a slow daily 1 mile walk. I'm recovering from chronic fatigue and can't do anymore than that.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDF View Post
                        In breakfast eaters, leptin is at it's lowest point at around 9-11am, and peaks at around 12 am.

IF'ing disrupts leptins rhythm - that is, leptin's rhythm is relative to meal times.

When you IF, leptin is usually at it's highest at 530am(5hours or so later than it peaks in breakfast eaters), and is at it's lowest at about 4pm (about 6-7 hrs later than when it's at it's lowest in breakfast eaters)
                        Good stuff. I'm really interested in this topic as far as how all hormones rise and fall and interact over a 24 hr period. I think there is a lot we are missing.

A good science project would be to write a "Day in the Life" of your hormones over 24 hrs. This would need to cover waking, eating, not eating, and sleeping, and at least include cortisol, insulin, leptin, melatonin, plus whatever else, maybe even T3/rT3 and HGH. I wrote a thread about this when the leptin reset topic started but didn't get any nibbles.

Wouldn't that be a handy guideline to have? It would need to be easy to read and understand. I might take a crack at it, but maybe someone already has or knows WAY more about it...

Comment

• How does the mastering leptin book defer in diet from the Jack krause method?
                          My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

It's a good book. The only thing I found annoying was how he discusses a ton of supplements but doesn't give a clear outline of how to decide what you need to take, info on dosages and so on.
                            Fair enough. Other than fish oil I really don't supplement.

Comment

• Originally posted by strom View Post
                              How does the mastering leptin book defer in diet from the Jack krause method?
                              Just briefly-

ML has a leptin diet with 5 rules. It's not Kruse's 6-8 week leptin reset routine.

Kruse is pro-Paleo/Primal. ML is not. The ML authors are really down on Atkins.

Kruse is more specific about when to ease up on exercise when you are doing the reset.

I think ML has one foot in CW, and one foot in the logical side, but they are not Primal.

Most of what ML and Kruse say about leptin only is in good agreement.

Comment

You might also have a lot more muscle than I do. Last year I had a bod pod and was 131 with 99 lbs. lean, 24% bf. I have been lifting since then and I know I've gained muscle and a tiny bit of fat. I also know though that I'm still really weak and will probably need another 10 lbs of muscle before I have what would seem like a normal amount of strength. I can barely do 3 push-ups still. I'm just saying your 130 could be my 125.
                                That may be true. I'm quite weak and can't do a pushup but I am naturally quite muscular I think. Always had giant calves, even now I am so obese, most of my enormous calves is actually solid muscle lol.
                                Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                                Harold Whitman

Comment

Working...
                                X