Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thanks (cringeing with embarrassment a bit!). In the end it turned out what had happened was a lot less bad than how he originally made it sound (he basically turned a flirtation at work meetings which he got obsessive about into what sounded like a full blown emotional affair). And a lot of good came out of it as after I found out he got counselling and things have pretty much completely turned around (he used to behave abusively but now doesn't). Still a lot to process and it feels like I've got stuck with the original trauma of when I found out. I have flashbacks, nightmares, her face will suddenly come into my head along with thoughts about how second rate I am compared to her, other thoughts about a minor flirtation he confessed to with a friend of mine at church (ouch ouch ouch, that one is mega painful due to the circumstances at the time and events since which I won't go into, but also traumatic for me and involving leaving the church and losing my faith and being treated like dirt by the leadership, of whom she was a member). Things were improving until my sister suddenly took a turn for the worse with her illness, she nearly went into a coma a few weeks ago and we're now getting to the stage of things that we've dreaded since her diagnosis nearly 20 years ago. I would just like to catch a break so I can process past stuff without new stuff piling on me!

    Also there is some stuff from our marriage in the past that has led to me clinging onto my illness so I have an "excuse" to take care of myself, make choices about how i want to spend my time and not give all the time. Dh has learned that's not a healthy way to live now through his therapy and doesn't live like that himself any more or think I should, but I seem to be locked into it. And I know I feel like if I get over it all and get well then I am letting him off and hey I can punish him forever by being ill and depressed. Very unhealthy and not how I want to be living but I think maybe I need to somehow move forward with the stuck trauma before I can deal with these other aspects.

    I think I am going to look into stuff about getting over trauma. And forgiving and letting go off hurt people have done to you.

    Of course, just as much as emotional stuff can affect us physiological, physiologial stuff can affect our emotions (I've experienced that very clearly from the results got with doing Radiant Recovery) so it's hard to say what is at the root of the situation. Before Feb 2010 I did still have additional difficulties compared with prior to the gluten illness worsening. But that's hardly surprising given what my body had been through. The difference is that I seemed to be healing, things were getting better, weight coming off, much greater success sticking with RR and so on. But it is all rather chicken and egg, and clearly that are multiple issues at play.
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 07-09-2011, 07:17 AM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

    Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

    Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

    "Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

    Comment


    • I forgot one question:

      5) What is the reasoning behind eating within 30 minutes of waking? If it's to give maximum time between meals, can I deal with that by adjusting meal times?

      Comment


      • As I am sitting here eating my steak and eggs, I am happy to report that I am down 10 pounds to a total weight of 210 lbs! I'm still wearing the same sizes that I have been, just everything is getting really loose. I'm getting smaller everywhere including my neck! I can finally get both hands around my neck like I am strangling myself.
        Georgette

        Comment


        • Congratulations Georgette!! Can I ask, where you low-carb before you started this experiment? I'm curious to know if people who were previously low carb (like me) will have the same results as those who were paleo but not low carb. I've been lc since Jan 2010 but using net carbs (around 30) - I'm now using total carbs and trying to keep them around 40.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by MollyMoo View Post
            I forgot one question:

            5) What is the reasoning behind eating within 30 minutes of waking? If it's to give maximum time between meals, can I deal with that by adjusting meal times?
            Your metabolism is kicking in for the day, the way leptin cycles--it is lowest at waking and highest about two hours after you go to bed-- means that you stabilize leptin, insulin, blood sugar with the early protein and avoid hunger for 4-5 hours. The leptin gives the brain the nessage that all is well, there is plenty of energy in food available. Eating less often, but better meat-fat, fewer carbs, keeps the machinery running smoothly. Like putting you energy system on cruise control. Nora Gedgaudis makes the excellent analogy of carbs being like kindling to a fire, fast burning, but burns out quickly, to keep warm you have to kerp feeding the fire;but protein and fats are like putting a big log on the fire that will burn slowly, steadily for a long time.
            This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

            Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
            Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

            Comment


            • Originally posted by geostump View Post
              As I am sitting here eating my steak and eggs, I am happy to report that I am down 10 pounds to a total weight of 210 lbs! I'm still wearing the same sizes that I have been, just everything is getting really loose. I'm getting smaller everywhere including my neck! I can finally get both hands around my neck like I am strangling myself.
              Way to go!
              This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

              Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
              Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

              Comment


              • horsewoman, have you tried meditation either as the sun goes up or as it is setting...it is mindblowing the amount of mental release and wellbeing i get from it FWIW, also, VLC had bad results for me as well. i like the here and there approach, i can feel when my body is needing carbs and when it is needeing protein/fat- its not based on what mal mentally wants but what mal physically feels like she needs
                Get on my Level
                http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

                Comment


                • Originally posted by MollyMoo View Post
                  Congratulations Georgette!! Can I ask, where you low-carb before you started this experiment? I'm curious to know if people who were previously low carb (like me) will have the same results as those who were paleo but not low carb. I've been lc since Jan 2010 but using net carbs (around 30) - I'm now using total carbs and trying to keep them around 40.
                  I was on & off low carb with a lot of cheats. I have been primal since January however. I count total carbs and am usually around 20-30g on carbs.
                  Georgette

                  Comment


                  • Couple questions ..Are most of you who are doing this tracking calories--as in are your total calories approximately the same as before starting this protocol but now the main difference is basically meal timing? Just curious. Eating a large breakfast in the morning seems to make me want to eat more throughout the day. I can go all day without eating until dinner and not really be too hungry but as soon as I start eating it's like I get more hungry! lol Anyone else have a similar experience?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Digby View Post
                      the way leptin cycles--it is lowest at waking and highest about two hours after you go to bed.
                      If Leptins are lowest in the morning, and highest in the evening, shouldn't logic dictate you'd be ravenisly hungry in the morning and 'full' at night? Ever since I started IF'ing from 6pm til 12pm, I am not the least bit hungry until around 1130am, even then I could probably go until 1 or 2pm before getting that starved feeling.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by geostump View Post
                        As I am sitting here eating my steak and eggs, I am happy to report that I am down 10 pounds to a total weight of 210 lbs! I'm still wearing the same sizes that I have been, just everything is getting really loose. I'm getting smaller everywhere including my neck! I can finally get both hands around my neck like I am strangling myself.
                        This. Is Awesome.
                        Congrats! I'm hoping to have similar results when my 8 weeks is up

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by otzi View Post
                          If Leptins are lowest in the morning, and highest in the evening, shouldn't logic dictate you'd be ravenisly hungry in the morning and 'full' at night? Ever since I started IF'ing from 6pm til 12pm, I am not the least bit hungry until around 1130am, even then I could probably go until 1 or 2pm before getting that starved feeling.
                          Maybe in a healthy person. I know part of being leptin resistant is that you remain hungry at night (constantly snacking after dinner). Remember, if you are leptin resistant, it's not necessarily about how much leptin your body is producing at a given time so much as the fact that your brain is misinterpreting the signals sent by leptin.

                          If I am wrong about that, somebody please correct me.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by otzi View Post
                            If Leptins are lowest in the morning, and highest in the evening, shouldn't logic dictate you'd be ravenisly hungry in the morning and 'full' at night? Ever since I started IF'ing from 6pm til 12pm, I am not the least bit hungry until around 1130am, even then I could probably go until 1 or 2pm before getting that starved feeling.
                            In breakfast eaters, leptin is at it's lowest point at around 9-11am, and peaks at around 12 am.

                            IF'ing disrupts leptins rhythm - that is, leptin's rhythm is relative to meal times.

                            When you IF, leptin is usually at it's highest at 530am(5hours or so later than it peaks in breakfast eaters), and is at it's lowest at about 4pm (about 6-7 hrs later than when it's at it's lowest in breakfast eaters)

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by NDF View Post
                              IF'ing disrupts leptins rhythm - that is, leptin's rhythm is relative to meal times.
                              Is this a bad thing?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by NDF View Post
                                In breakfast eaters, leptin is at it's lowest point at around 9-11am, and peaks at around 12 am.

                                IF'ing disrupts leptins rhythm - that is, leptin's rhythm is relative to meal times.

                                When you IF, leptin is usually at it's highest at 530am(5hours or so later than it peaks in breakfast eaters), and is at it's lowest at about 4pm (about 6-7 hrs later than when it's at it's lowest in breakfast eaters)
                                Wait. If that's the case you should still be able to do a leptin reset while (leangains-style) IFing eating at say noon and 5pm?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X