Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dextery View Post
    First, it would be better to eat the sweetpotato before eating any thing else and test what the sweetpotato does to your BS....if you can before work....and then eat everything else.

Second, you have changed your DNA by thinking that the Leptin Reset Protocol food and timing will be beneficial and you changed your DNA by working with the physchologist. You can be in control of your issues if you think you can be in control of your issues. And if you think you are going to have problems with pms, then guess what, you will. Yes getting healthier allows you to think differently, but you decided and thought it would be beneficial to get healthy.
    You are doing great and congratulations on finding your happy place once again!!!
    Actually, the psychologist didn't help me a bit. But, I will give it more thought. Dr. K did say thoughts supersede drugs!!! So it truly would be mind over matter. That one is hard for me to fully get due to the crap I have been going thru. As for pms, I think any female out here would say you are crazy. I say this because most of us have it and it comes on all by itself and not necessarily when expected. So, I am not sitting here saying pms will be here this week and I will be in a bad way, I know I am expecting it at somepoint and ususally when it is over I realize it was pms that just hit me. My psychol. was a male and he certainly didn't get it. I guess cramps are all in our head too then and by thinking they don't hurt means they won't. I'm just really trying to understand. Like I said, I will definately think on this more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
      Once again, AARGH! So much conflicting information...i am on micronized prometrium which my hormone doc says is absorbed differently (Dr. K thought the dose should be higher but my hormone doc said no need because the micronized form is absorbed differently).

Then there's this from a Harvard Health Letter:
      There's so much conflicting info. I had a consult with a new OB/GYN in town last week whose specialty is bioidentical hormones. She really appears to know her stuff. Did blood work and I see her again on Thursday. I'll see what she has to say.

Tidmutt: I've been following your progress and think you're doing a great job. Hopefully your indulgences this past weekend will just be a minor blip and like Kristiashley you'll go right back to the new normal.

I have one perfect day of the leptin reset behind me. On to day 2.

At what point should I be testing bg? Too early? I would like to see how yogurt affects me.
      Indigogirl

Comment

• Originally posted by kristiashley View Post
        Tidmutt, isn't it amazing how those foods we once loved are just not nearly as good as we remember? I'm definitely ruined for SAD for the rest of my life. It's funny too that my friends all talk about how bad I have it with the diet I chose to eat, how they really enjoy their emotional attachment to food (yeah right, I think that's just a cop out, but hey, that's me) and how satisfying food is for them. I have to laugh though as I get so much more enjoyment out of my current diet than I ever did before. I not only enjoy what I eat now, but it makes me feel good too. Sure, I enjoyed my food then, but I always felt badly and it never satisfied my emotionally even though I was eating for emotionally reasons. None of my SAD friends seem to understand that at all.

I was amazed too at how quickly I rebounded after my vacation cheats, so perhaps you'll be the same way. I just got back on the horse (happily!) and my body came back to the new normal almost immediately. I had my fall from grace after 8 weeks on the reset, but if you are LS then you are LS I assume. Good luck!
        I was quite surprised, I didn't realize until this weekend that those foods would no longer be satisfying. I picked up a nice juicy ribeye yesterday which will be part of my BAB for a couple of days and I'm looking forward to that sauteed in CO along with scrambled eggs mixed with kale far more than I'd crave for the pizza I had on Saturday night. It's a very odd sensation for me, still processing it.

Glad to hear you rebounded quickly, I'm hoping I do too. Was only three days, so I'm thinking by the end of the week I'll be well on my way.

As for being Leptin Sensitive, I honestly don't know. As I said, I saw the signs, but i haven't done the necessary tests yet which I suppose is what I need to know for sure. I'm wondering if it's possible to really be LS completely while still 26% body fat and, well, officially still 50 lb over weight (although I don't think I'd want to lose that much)?

Good luck with the doc, I'm going to be approaching my PCP in the next few weeks with the barrage of tests, I'm hoping he's open minded. He does offer HCG through his practice, I'm wondering if that makes him slightly less mainstream (although HCG is pretty mainstream these days).
        My Self Optimization Blog

Comment

• I was the same way coming home from our trip I was craving my big ass breakfast with some grass fed ground beef and scrambled eggs. I also craved my bone broth stew all week and had it daily, lol. I have started listening carefully to my bodies cravings as I'm assuming that it's telling me what it needs considering there are times I'm craving fat and times I'm craving veggies. Never a craving for sweets or grains. And it's not really a craving, but more of a "gosh some coconut oil would be tasty for breakfast" or the like.

I'm with you on questioning my sensitivity. I have all the signs, continue to have the signs yet I'm proceeding as if I'm not. I keep looking at this as a journey and since I enjoy eating this way, I'm going to eat this way. If I felt I was in any way denying myself perhaps I'd have a different attitude, but for now it's working well, I'm feeling good, so why change?

I have switched my focus to my workouts and making sure I'm maximizing my efforts there and getting good quality workouts into my week, including some sort of sprint. I am also starting the process of finding a doc that gets it and that I can work with. The financial reality is that I can't afford to go out of our insurance network right now, so I'll start there first. If our finances change, I already have docs in line for who I'd go to then. It's a journey, I'm on the right path and optimization is in my future no matter how long it takes!

Comment

• Finding the right doc to work with can be everything! I called back the crappy endo from last week to ask him to add ferritin and selenium levels to my blood work as they can both effect thyroid and are easily supplimented. His nurse said he was in and that they would get back to me by the end of the day. No call back - big surprise! I also e-mailed my OB/gyn to see if she would add hormone tests as it would help us discuss things at my next visit. She e-mailed back that the levels really aren't very usefull and that we could discuss options when I came in. She was a great doc when I was pregnant w/ my son a few years ago, so I think I will approach her with Dr K's info and explain how frustrating it has been to get any helpfull anything from Kaiser. I have found paleo and it is obviously working for me from the blood tests (the few that have been done) and the fact that I've lost over 100lbs since I last saw her, so hopefully she will be some help.

edit: Just got a call from the crappy endo's nurse. He wants to know if I want to check ferritin and selenium levels because I suspect some disease. I explained (for the 2nd time) that these levels effect the thyroid and I don't want to suppliment blindly as that would also be reckless (which is where I'm at now). She says she has no ability to help me w/o Dr orders and that I should try my PCP. What a waste of f'ing time these people are! Kaiser usually has a survey call after these types of visits and I can't wait to nuke this guy!

Ending rant mode now - back to my regular scheduled happy day!
            Last edited by Mud Flinger; 10-04-2011, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by indigogirl View Post
              There's so much conflicting info. I had a consult with a new OB/GYN in town last week whose specialty is bioidentical hormones. She really appears to know her stuff. Did blood work and I see her again on Thursday. I'll see what she has to say.

Tidmutt: I've been following your progress and think you're doing a great job. Hopefully your indulgences this past weekend will just be a minor blip and like Kristiashley you'll go right back to the new normal.

I have one perfect day of the leptin reset behind me. On to day 2.

At what point should I be testing bg? Too early? I would like to see how yogurt affects me.
              Great job on the perfect day

Comment

• Originally posted by pammac View Post
                I was on the reset for about 10 days when my sleep problems began. I had to go out of town so stopped the reset but the sleeplessness continued by waking up after 3 hours of sleep and hard to get back to sleep. I was taking various supplements for sleep and I decided to stop everything except two things: Pantothenic Acid and CalMag capsules. I now take 500mg B5 (pantothenic acid) before bed along with 2 CalMag capsules. When I wake up I take 2 or 300mg more of B5 and one CalMag capsule and I've been going back to sleep.

Pam
                Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by kristiashley View Post
                  Tidmutt, isn't it amazing how those foods we once loved are just not nearly as good as we remember? I'm definitely ruined for SAD for the rest of my life. It's funny too that my friends all talk about how bad I have it with the diet I chose to eat, how they really enjoy their emotional attachment to food (yeah right, I think that's just a cop out, but hey, that's me) and how satisfying food is for them. I have to laugh though as I get so much more enjoyment out of my current diet than I ever did before. I not only enjoy what I eat now, but it makes me feel good too. Sure, I enjoyed my food then, but I always felt badly and it never satisfied my emotionally even though I was eating for emotionally reasons. None of my SAD friends seem to understand that at all.
                  THIS = +100000000 I'm quite floored that I passed over hawaiian pizza this weekend w/o even batting an eye... in the past when I was just gluten free - I would be envious of everyone else being able to have the pizza ,, this time I was meh? what ever... I thought I'd have a slice - went over to the pizza box and opened it and looked at the pizza and realized I didn't want it. no desire what so ever... might I have some in the future.. maybe but most likely I won't...
                  The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
                  What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
                  SW 190lb
                  Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
                  25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                  1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                  GW ~135lbs
                  5'3"
                  Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

• SO last night I added my LHT back in... 30 mins (modified P90X back/chest) of max pushups/pullups... not even sore... The funny thing... after 1month of nothing... I increased my max pushups and pull up (assisted) reps... I did regular pushups (25 reps), military (15reps), wide 25reps), decline (13 reps), heart push ups (7 reps) and divebombers (8 reps) -maxed them all out - the dropped to my knees for an additional 5reps. for the pull ups I maxed out at 15 w/leg assistance, 12 chin ups w/leg assistance, I also lifted the max dumbbell weights we had in the house 25lbs for my rows -

I'm not even sore!!! I was talking to dh about it this am and mentioned that Dr K says you can be Leptin Sensitive in the brain but Leptin resistant in the muscles if you're sore after lifting heavy... DH commented that he's always sore... SO I suggested he might want to try the LR to see if that goes away... I don't know if he'd ever really do it...but I think he's going to be watching me... I've got to go pick up some heavier weights at the sporting goods store (maybe some 35,40's and 45lbs!) and maybe some kettle bells for some swings too!

Tonight I'm going to do a HIIT... I'm thinking of maybe doing a HIIT cycle from bodyrocktv

SW 190lb
                    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                    GW ~135lbs
                    5'3"
                    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

Comment

• Originally posted by Shijin13 View Post

I'm not even sore!!! I was talking to dh about it this am and mentioned that Dr K says you can be Leptin Sensitive in the brain but Leptin resistant in the muscles if you're sore after lifting heavy... DH commented that he's always sore... SO I suggested he might want to try the LR to see if that goes away... I don't know if he'd ever really do it...but I think he's going to be watching me... I've got to go pick up some heavier weights at the sporting goods store (maybe some 35,40's and 45lbs!) and maybe some kettle bells for some swings too!

Tonight I'm going to do a HIIT... I'm thinking of maybe doing a HIIT cycle from bodyrocktv
                      So awesome! Can't wait to get back to getting strong again!

Comment

THIS = +100000000 I'm quite floored that I passed over hawaiian pizza this weekend w/o even batting an eye... in the past when I was just gluten free - I would be envious of everyone else being able to have the pizza ,, this time I was meh? what ever... I thought I'd have a slice - went over to the pizza box and opened it and looked at the pizza and realized I didn't want it. no desire what so ever... might I have some in the future.. maybe but most likely I won't...
                        Why not just make a dish that contains all the flavors of pizza but without the bread crust? MEATZA

Purchase all your favorite pizza toppings. I use sausage slightly browned in a skillet with CO. Mushrooms, pepperoni which comes thin sliced, pineapple, bell peppers, red and green, tomatoes, olives, red onions or...what ever you like.
                        I usually use three types of hard cheese grated. White cheddar from either Tillamook or Cabot in NH, hard moserella, plus some other. When I have a desire to pizza, I experiment with cheeses.
                        Purchase a bottle of your favorite pizza sauce but look at the label for the least sugar and for zero wheat. I steep the sauce and add my own oregano, basil, thyme, pepper just to spice up the sauce...or you can make your own from tomato sauce...adding the spices yourself.
                        Then in a 2 inch cassarole dish add coconut oil and then layer each pizza topping several times until the toppings equal the side of the dish. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes plus or minus or until the concoction starts to bubble and the cheese on top just starts to brown.

All the taste of pizza without the wheat bread.

But I can tell you my desire for doing this has subsided somewhat just because the craving has abated

Comment

• I adore meatza. I make it like lasagna without the noodles though so it gives me the satisfaction of that kind of meal. I used to adore lasagna but know I'd hate it if I had it now and this is my new lasagna. I wish my family liked it, lol!

Comment

SO last night I added my LHT back in... 30 mins (modified P90X back/chest) of max pushups/pullups... not even sore... The funny thing... after 1month of nothing... I increased my max pushups and pull up (assisted) reps... I did regular pushups (25 reps), military (15reps), wide 25reps), decline (13 reps), heart push ups (7 reps) and divebombers (8 reps) -maxed them all out - the dropped to my knees for an additional 5reps. for the pull ups I maxed out at 15 w/leg assistance, 12 chin ups w/leg assistance, I also lifted the max dumbbell weights we had in the house 25lbs for my rows -

Increasing your personal records is great testimony to the weight lifting/exercise theory that doing heavy lifting, heavy resistance training to failure yields tremendous results because the muscles have fully recovered and fully stiched back together. A month off will do this. Body by Science and Serious Strength in NY both have clients come in for about 30 lift/exercise to failure and then send them away for a week to ten days, then redo again. Excellent gains. Just don't jump right back into another routine today. Let your body heal.

Hubby should understand the soreness is a result of small tears in the muscle fibers that need to stitch back together before another session. And the Leptin Reset Protocol is assisting those tears to heal much more quickly.

When I was about 80% paleo and doing P90x daily I was a literally a walking basket case of soreness. And it does not abate until the routine is broken.

I still do modified P90x but only every three days with exercise bands...but I go to failure everytime and then rest for three days. No soreness.

Comment

Why not just make a dish that contains all the flavors of pizza but without the bread crust? MEATZA

Purchase all your favorite pizza toppings. I use sausage slightly browned in a skillet with CO. Mushrooms, pepperoni which comes thin sliced, pineapple, bell peppers, red and green, tomatoes, olives, red onions or...what ever you like.
                              I usually use three types of hard cheese grated. White cheddar from either Tillamook or Cabot in NH, hard moserella, plus some other. When I have a desire to pizza, I experiment with cheeses.
                              Purchase a bottle of your favorite pizza sauce but look at the label for the least sugar and for zero wheat. I steep the sauce and add my own oregano, basil, thyme, pepper just to spice up the sauce...or you can make your own from tomato sauce...adding the spices yourself.
                              Then in a 2 inch cassarole dish add coconut oil and then layer each pizza topping several times until the toppings equal the side of the dish. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes plus or minus or until the concoction starts to bubble and the cheese on top just starts to brown.

All the taste of pizza without the wheat bread.

But I can tell you my desire for doing this has subsided somewhat just because the craving has abated
                              yeah I've been kicking this around...but I'll be honest... I have NO desire for Pizza in any form... I think this is what Dr K is talking about when he says you can have the foods you used to crave right infront of you...and have no desire to eat them... I'd have to say this goes for my flourless dark chocolate brownies, gf cookies etc... yeah they taste good - but I'd rather have me a nice ribeye and some kale or mixed greens... I think I'd take the flourless dark chocolate brownies over the pizza if I had to choose...

SW 190lb
                              25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                              1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                              GW ~135lbs
                              5'3"

Comment

Increasing your personal records is great testimony to the weight lifting/exercise theory that doing heavy lifting, heavy resistance training to failure yields tremendous results because the muscles have fully recovered and fully stiched back together. A month off will do this. Body by Science and Serious Strength in NY both have clients come in for about 30 lift/exercise to failure and then send them away for a week to ten days, then redo again. Excellent gains. Just don't jump right back into another routine today. Let your body heal.

Hubby should understand the soreness is a result of small tears in the muscle fibers that need to stitch back together before another session. And the Leptin Reset Protocol is assisting those tears to heal much more quickly.

When I was about 80% paleo and doing P90x daily I was a literally a walking basket case of soreness. And it does not abate until the routine is broken.

I still do modified P90x but only every three days with exercise bands...but I go to failure everytime and then rest for three days. No soreness.
                                I've been considering LHT 3x/week MWF and HIIT 2x/week + daily walks w/the kids and the dog...
                                I really want to push the HIIT...but maybe I'll wait and do it on Wednesday.... I'd like to do 2 HIITs/week.... one in the form of a bodyrocktv style and the other be a pure tabatta sprint (or something similar) on my bike trainer or running up the hill to our house

I'm gonna do the following wo for my 1st HIIT http://www.bodyrock.tv/2011/03/14/lo...rself-workout/ I'm either going to do it tonight or tomorrow... haven't decided yet!
                                Last edited by Shijin13; 10-04-2011, 11:41 AM.

SW 190lb
                                25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                                1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                                GW ~135lbs
                                5'3"

Comment

Working...
                                X