No announcement yet.

Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you who haven't heard Dr. K's podcast on the Jimmy Moore radio show here it is:

474: Dr. Jack Kruse, Low-Carb Neurosurgeon And Rebel With A Cause | The Livin La Vida Low-Carb Show
    Indigogirl

Comment

• Is Dr. Mercola mostly right...or is he a nutjob? I've been reading lately on his site and read that tanning beds are mostly except he didn't like ones that used a magnetic ballast system. Quack or not quack that is the question? Is tanning ok? I know the best would be sunlight but this time of the year the best is out the window so to speak..so depending on cost it might work?

Though I haven't looked into cost or location yet a good supplement might be tons cheaper than a tanning bed. Supposedly a tanning bed session is set to give you optimum amounts of Vitamin D resulting in slight pink color(a sign of optimum Vitamin D...?). How many times would I have to use a supplement to get to that point in comparison...its hard to compare costs of those kinds of things....than again I haven't even looked at pricing and if a tanning session is more than 100 dollars it couldn't be practical..I guess I need to check on that to know for sure.

Any and all suggestions would be welcome.
      Height: 6'1"
      Primal start date: July 1st 2011
      Start Weight: 275
      Current Weight: 248
      Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
      Body Fat 25.4%
      Fat Mass 63.721
      Fat Free Mass 74.6%
      Fat Free Mass 187.087
      Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
      Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Comment

• I use tanning beds to get some rays. I never used to; living in the US I had adequate sunlight and soaked it up as much as I could. Now, living in the UK my exposure to sunlight is significantly reduced (plus Sod's law, I always end up working night shift on those rare sunny days, so have to spend those days sleeping instead of outside! )

Tanning is cheap, depends on where you go as well. I paid 16 ($25) for 120 minutes which lasts me 8 weeks as I go twice a week for either 4 or 8 minutes. I am now slightly tanned (I look healthy now instead of pasty) and I feel much better for it. A tip: don't get sucked into thinking you need the salon's 'special' tanning lotions or creams. You don't actually *need* anything to use the beds, but to prevent my skin from drying out I apply a regular lotion over my whole body just before I go to the salon.

Mark did mention the tanning bed debate in a post awhile back, and I think the main concern was the ratio of UVA to UVB rays. The salons have control over this ratio, but favor UVA heavily over the healthier and desirable UVB's because UVA's are the ones that tan (and burn) you.

Comment

• Do tanning beds usually mention how long you should tan depending on skin type or do they usually council you about it? I have a fairly white appearance..very little tan...I have a small amount that I've been building when I did start going out but its next to nothing. I'm either skin type 1 or 2 not sure which. I used to burn in 1 hour now it takes a bit longer.

On another topic I just tried using some coconut oil on my bottom lip because it felt really dry...it feels a bit better...is this a good solution to dry lips or is there a better option? Not sure its even a good thing I just tried it since I have tons of it....how Dr. Kruse goes through 1 gallon in 1 month...I guess its not just him but mine is going so slow.

I guess I don't eat more than 3 TB in any given day though..I can't remember how much he said he eats but I think its over 3 so I guess it all just adds up. Also how much oil should I use for stretch marks? I have some pretty bad ones that I wouldn't mind lightening and an appendectomy scar that would be nice to lighten..if it'll do that?
          Height: 6'1"
          Primal start date: July 1st 2011
          Start Weight: 275
          Current Weight: 248
          Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
          Body Fat 25.4%
          Fat Mass 63.721
          Fat Free Mass 74.6%
          Fat Free Mass 187.087
          Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
          Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by Raiken3712 View Post
            Is Dr. Mercola mostly right...or is he a nutjob? I've been reading lately on his site and read that tanning beds are mostly except he didn't like ones that used a magnetic ballast system. Quack or not quack that is the question? Is tanning ok? I know the best would be sunlight but this time of the year the best is out the window so to speak..so depending on cost it might work?

Though I haven't looked into cost or location yet a good supplement might be tons cheaper than a tanning bed. Supposedly a tanning bed session is set to give you optimum amounts of Vitamin D resulting in slight pink color(a sign of optimum Vitamin D...?). How many times would I have to use a supplement to get to that point in comparison...its hard to compare costs of those kinds of things....than again I haven't even looked at pricing and if a tanning session is more than 100 dollars it couldn't be practical..I guess I need to check on that to know for sure.

Any and all suggestions would be welcome.
            I use

for good blood test:
            5 drops/day Biotic Research Bio-D-Mulsion Forte, 1drop=2000iu Vit D

for looks:
            10mg/year of Melanotan II (ie; 20- 0.5mg/injections) plus 15min of real sun once in a while.

(Melanotan II) = MT2

To use MT2 one should have rather clean skin without blemishes.
            Some imperfections may get real dark.

Last edited by JanSz; 10-03-2011, 04:52 PM.
            Leptin For Dummies http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post595567

Comment

• Originally posted by Riveted View Post
              Into my second week of the Leptin Reset and am starting to get used to the protein hit first thing in the morning. It wasn't easy - I've been an IF'er for about a year. I started wondering something this morning. I began the reset questioning whether or not I actually am LR - I'm 5'9", 170lbs with a great set of recent blood labs. I decided to try it because I've gained about 10 lbs and one inch in waist circumference over the summer (thanks beer!). I also gain quickly as my carb intake rises above about 50g a day.

So my question is: if you are NOT leptin resistant, what kinds of changes (if any) would you see by doing the Reset? Would you end up losing weight anyway? Is there any downside to eating according to the Rx while leptin sensitive?

Thanks!
              Long term you can become completely optimal .....about 5 to 8 yrs.....im in yr 6 now. Im still improving

Comment

• Originally posted by indigogirl View Post
                Can you eat olives on the leptin reset?

EDIT: Just thought about it...too many PUFA's??
                Yes....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dextery View Post
                  L Carnosine, Dr K mentioned it as helping wrinkles...at PaleoHacks Is L-Carnosine the key to a paleo diet? - Paleo Hacks.com If you google carnosine, wrinkles there seems to be a myrid of products.
                  Its back there somewhere.....high dose K2 and caprylic acid and coconut oil too orally and topically

Comment

• Thanks Dextery and Dr. K, I'll search and read more up on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by scarlett.lilly View Post
                      Did I miss a post- where is Georgette?
                      Wow, I'm missed!

I started a new job 3 weeks ago today and with that, life, getting over massive allergy issues, my husband using the computer for tests for work and the craziness of life, I haven't had the time to post much. I have officially joined the gym at work. They checked my body fat % today and I am not too sure how accurate it is. They used the things you hold in your hands and it showed my body fat at 39.3% and my BMI is 34. I was told that I need to lose 27.5 lbs to get to 30% body fat which would put me at at 180. I'm also cutting back on dairy right now to see if that will help me with my sinus issues. I'm using butter here and there and a bit of hard cheese. I'm down about giving up dairy. Actually sort of depressed about it.
                      Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by Dextery View Post
                        You need to see if it was the regular potato or the sweet potato that caused the spike. I'd bet on the regular potato. But test each. After fasting prepare the same amount of reg potato with no other food and test. Then eat your BAB. Same with the sweet potato the next day. One of them will spike your Blood sugar. Now what does it mean. It probably means you are somewhat insulin resistant. Your pancreas make enough Beta Cell insulin to control the sugar spike. You are right, you want the post prandial to be close to the fasting number.

Congratulations on the control of your tolerance towards other people. You decided to be more tolerant and you got what you decided. You changed how you express your DNA. Huge win.

Onward with the Leptin Protocol to get your signalling to your brain correct. Remember it is a lifestyle protocol within which you can thrive and live out your remaining years in good health without disease well into your hundreds. Dr. K wants to live to be at least 122 yrs, 165 days old to best Jeanne Louise Calment of France by one day!
                        Thanks Dextery. You always have pretty good advice. I will make the same BAB tomorrow but without the little bit of potato since I rarely eat that anyway. I would rather eat sweet potato so I will see where it goes. I had fish, broccoli and cauliflower for supper and it only raised it to 84. Interesting stuff that blood sugar is.

As for the tolerance to other people that is just me getting better due to the leptin protocol along with hormone balancing etc. I have had mood issue due to thyroid, D & T. They were all stacked against me. I thought is was another sign toward being LS as Dr. K says you will be calmer and I actually have been. I am finding my happy place once again in life. I cannot say it was a change in thought as I have worked with a phsychologist and as much as I wanted to not be like I was, I couldn't. Maybe for a few days then all of a sudden it would hit me. The real test will be this week (pms) we'll see how it goes. I do believe you can change your thinking to change your life or I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing. But, in this case I believe it is getting healthier which allows me to think differently.

Comment

• I am fairly new to PB....7 weeks now. I see this "leptin reset" phrase quite often. When and why would you do such an experiment? How do you know if it would be a good option for you? could someone kindly explain this to me?

Also, had same question about IF......I semi-tried to IF today and almost passed out by lunch time. I had my sprint workout this morning and was ravenous by lunchtime. If you planned on IFing would you load up on your last meal and perhaps not do it the same day as an intense workout? How does that work? Is IFing not for everyone? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                            There are 2 sources for the 15mg K2, Ultra K2 from lef.org and Vitamin Research products. At VRP it is buy one get one free this week:

Ultra K2 - 90 Capsules (15mg) - Vitamin Research Products
                            I just took total advantage of this offer. Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                              Colleen, why is progesterone in pill form "not good"? My hormone doc gave me a choice of a cream or a pill.
                              It's deactivated by the liver some Adrianag, plus your body absorbs it all at once and the levels don't stay stable through the day. I've tried both and the skin absorption is way better. I was on the other kind of hormones for 30 years before I found bioidenticals. The migraines got worse and worse. The weight piled on more and more. Bioidenticals changed my life in the past four years. Truly, listen to Dr. Kruse about it all. Not many doctors really understand hormones. He does. My Dr. Dzugan does. But many doctors don't.

Comment

• Originally posted by colleencoble View Post
                                It's deactivated by the liver some Adrianag, plus your body absorbs it all at once and the levels don't stay stable through the day. I've tried both and the skin absorption is way better. I was on the other kind of hormones for 30 years before I found bioidenticals. The migraines got worse and worse. The weight piled on more and more. Bioidenticals changed my life in the past four years. Truly, listen to Dr. Kruse about it all. Not many doctors really understand hormones. He does. My Dr. Dzugan does. But many doctors don't.
                                Colleen, what do you know about estrogen dominance and overcoming it with supplementing with progesterone? I've read where initially you have to megadose to override the estrogen and then I believe you can back down. I am estrogen dominant and on progesterone. I do have to get tested again but I wonder also if because I use cream that will show me way off the charts high.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                                X