Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by strom View Post
    Does the book Mastering Leptin have anything to do with Jack Krause and this?
    With Jack, no, they are not directly associated, though they are covering the same ground in very similar fashion. With *this* (I assume *this* means this thread) - yeah. Pretty well hand in hand, though as I understand it, Mastering Leptin is slightly less primal/paleo and it deals more directly with a lifetime of eating for leptin maintenance while Dr. Jack is directly tackling the initial phase of becoming leptin sensitive.

Comment

• Adrenal fatigue does exist but some natural practitioners are too focused on it whilst ignoring other possibilities.
      Brahnamin I like how you lose the plot and then see the error of your ways and apologize.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heidi View Post
        Sorry if this is a stupid question since I just found this thread and still need to read through it more, but is this saliva test for cortisol something that can be done at home? I googled for info and so far it looks like something done through a lab. Maybe not?
        You can order kits through Amazon, don't know if they give immediate results or have to be sent off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sue View Post
          Brahnamin I like how you lose the plot and then see the error of your ways and apologize.
          *shrUg*

When you're wrong you're wrong. I was wrong to disrupt a public thread with something that should have been handled privately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
            has anyone noticed an increase in body odor while doing the leptin reset? i know increased sweating is supposidly part of the process but im 3 days in and for no apparent reason today i stink. any ideas?
            If you're keeping carbs really low (50 or less) and staying in ketosis, that could be it. (For me, going into ketosis gives me a stronger scent--I'm usually not very smelly at all by my armpits def. have a more powerful smell when I've been VLC...)
            My Before/After Pics
            Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

• Originally posted by ladycarnivore
              Day 19~ up +10lbs.. official stop leptin reset day!

Well because I feel the need to be 100% honest about this entire experience I am putting this out here..I feel I followed the protocol exactly as required and here are my results as of today:

1)rapid weight gain
              2)bloating
              3)sleeplessness
              4)increased night sweats
              5)easily fatigued

I have to believe that this is just not for everyone and my body is saying NOPE to the entire idea..
              Goodluck to everyone and I will be reading and keeping abreast of the journey, but back to what was working for me already..
              Lady Carnivore, I would personally add in more (primal) carbs esp because of the sleeplessness and easy fatigue. (2 things I have experienced consistently when keeping my carbs really really low.) I'm sure all the hiking you've been doing has taxed your system more than some of these LR folks. MANY folks on the forum doing more intense workouts (or working out for longer than recommended by PBF) seem to feel much better staying in a more moderate carb range (say 75-150+ grams of primal carbs a day). Just my .02!
              My Before/After Pics
              Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

Comment

• Originally posted by Kymma View Post
                I'm holding at 221. I can live with that, still down 10 pounds. Although the intense fatigue and depression are pretty intense. However, I am still unsure how much is diet and how much a deeper spiritual issue compounded by this diet. I have a health issue to deal with and am unable to take Omega 3 until the end of next week.
                Not to be a broken record, but when you are done with this experiment, I'd personally consider following the similar protocol (3 meals a day, no snacking, etc) while adding more primal carbs (76-150 g a day or so.) The fatigue and depression really stick out to me. There must be a thread somewhere here about VLC diets and depression as its a topic I've seen come up over and over again. I think each of us is so different, and for some VLC is just not right for us. I still don't understand why this is, but its something that has consistently been referenced, and seems far more of an issue for women than men...

Just my thoughts--I certainly don't mean to negate any of the positives going VLC can have for *some* folks, and esp. those of you doing Dr. K's leptin reset. But IME VLC has come with more negatives than positives *for me*.
                My Before/After Pics

Comment

• Originally posted by ladycarnivore
                  Day 19~ up +10lbs.. official stop leptin reset day!

Well because I feel the need to be 100% honest about this entire experience I am putting this out here..I feel I followed the protocol exactly as required and here are my results as of today:

1)rapid weight gain
                  2)bloating
                  3)sleeplessness
                  4)increased night sweats
                  5)easily fatigued

I have to believe that this is just not for everyone and my body is saying NOPE to the entire idea..
                  Goodluck to everyone and I will be reading and keeping abreast of the journey, but back to what was working for me already..
                  Same happened to me but I gained 6 lbs within the 1st 9 or 10 days. Last week I lost 4 of those ~6lbs. I had all of your above symptoms and then some. They don't usually all happen the same days but they mix it up and so some days are better than others. It seems to be getting better but it took weeks to start to see the scale go back down. I would encourage you to keep going but I completely understand if you don't. I nearly quit this protocol 4 times when each week I would either go up or stay the same in weight but I had to constantly remind myself that it isn't about the scale, it is about healing. I only want to do this once so I'm going to try my darndest to stick to it, even if it isn't perfectly. Before this I was IFing and losing 1+lb/week but I clearly suffer from this and this issue needs to be adressed so why not now? Rather do it now while it is a choice before it leads to something else that is much harder to remedy or screws something else up royaly. Just my 2 cents - take it for what it is worth and Good Luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by nocturnalmama View Post
                    Here is a wwyd...

I go to yoga classes 2 nights out of the week - they start at 7:30 - in the past I've eaten supper after the class, I've also done IF and have skipped supper alltogether on those days. I'm having a hard time negotiating how to eat on these days and keep to a decent schedule time wise. I do not like to eat prior to yoga practice, I find it really hampers my practice especially if I eat a heavy meat based meal.

Today - I've skipped lunch and am having a large salad now at 2pm - and I'll likely not eat again today. I'll probably have a protein smoothie too... we'll see how I feel after eating.

The other day I had a smoothie at supper time... but it was detrimental to my practice and I was pretty hungry all night.

How would you approach this in the context of the leptin reset? Skipping the yoga is not an option as these are required classes for my teacher training course.
                    Personally I'd eat immediately after the class, and stay up an hour later. Like, have a meal (even a protein shake, etc.) waiting for when you get out to eat as soon as you enter your car. I am all about yoga and KNOW you really cannot eat a real meal 3-5 hours before class (without wanting to vomit while practicing!) As long as you are keeping at least 12 hours between dinner and breakfast, I don't see how that would be too much of a problem.
                    My Before/After Pics

Comment

• Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                      Personally I'd eat immediately after the class, and stay up an hour later. Like, have a meal (even a protein shake, etc.) waiting for when you get out to eat as soon as you enter your car. I am all about yoga and KNOW you really cannot eat a real meal 3-5 hours before class (without wanting to vomit while practicing!) As long as you are keeping at least 12 hours between dinner and breakfast, I don't see how that would be too much of a problem.
                      I'll try that next time... I'm super hungry right now (its 10:30) and would love to have something... I do need to eat after practicing though - especially a strenuous practice like that - and even the 2pm meal was a bit close to the practice today (it was a hot class... I need a good long break between eating and that class!)
                      Robin
                      ~primal mama to 3~

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                        Horsewoman, I realised I had severe adrenal fatigue about a year ago and started doing Dr Wilson's protocol. I even bought all his supplements. At the end of the day, I didn't recover with just lifestyle modification and supplementation. My body was just too wrung out. In January, my doctor prescribed me 20mg of hydrocortisone daily split into 2 doses as well as DHEA. I can't tell you the difference this made to how I feel. After years of being tired, unable to sleep properly, unable to lose weight no matter what I did and feeling constantly stressed no matter what was going on, I finally felt normal. Since January I have lost 30lbs. I think you really need to try and find yourself a decent doctor, I know it's expensive (I'm not well off and all these meds are not covered on our PBS), but this is your health. I really hope you can find a solution, I feel so frustrated for you. I can only imagine how you feel!
                        Thanks. It's not really even just a case of money, even if I had the money, I've looked into getting these kind of tests and help privately and even that requires a referral from a GP. If my GP believed in it I would be going private lol. And I'd need to find a private doctor who believes in and treats adrenal fatigue, near enough to travel to. But yeah I don't have the money. It looks like we'll lose our house in the next couple of years if the interest rates go back to a more normal level, so when I say I don't have the money I really mean it, I don't mean I'd rather spend it on clothes and going out. I am willing to invest in my health and cut other things but the thing is I've already done that as far as it is possible to take it with my expensive food, supplements, books, the private thyroid and gluten testing I paid for and so on. An initial appointment and testing would be hundreds of poounds and even if I somehow found the money for that I wouldn't be able to afford treatment.

If adrenal fatigue is the issue then it was precipitated by a life event that happened in Feb 2010 (probably the final straw after gluten etc even though I'd been gluten free for 18mo at that point). I wondering if I could move forward better with the emotional fallout from that event, I might be able to heal. Every day I am on edge fearing certain things, feeling hurt and thinking negatively about myself, and it's a vicious circle because the more I do that, the more fat, tired and depressed I get and so the worse I feel about myself because I am getting further and further from the person I want to be and feeling I am letting everyone down. Then I feel more insecure about the original event (marriage related, you get the gist I'm sure). And compare myself even more unfavourably with, well the other person (who is everything I thought I would be- she even looks a lot like me except she's slim, she has kids but also manages a successful career in cancer research, I couldn't do a PhD as I was depressed after my parents divorced and my sister got diagnosed with NF2 etc etc). And so on. This crap chews around in my head all day. I went for counselling last year but after 3 sessions she basically said I was handling it all really well and she couldn't see anything she could help me with. Sorry for oversharing the personal stuff, I wanted to paint a picture of my situation because I'm wondering if I could break out of this stalemate somehow, then my body would be able to heal, whic it was doing a great job of before.

Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                        Not to be a broken record, but when you are done with this experiment, I'd personally consider following the similar protocol (3 meals a day, no snacking, etc) while adding more primal carbs (76-150 g a day or so.) The fatigue and depression really stick out to me. There must be a thread somewhere here about VLC diets and depression as its a topic I've seen come up over and over again. I think each of us is so different, and for some VLC is just not right for us. I still don't understand why this is, but its something that has consistently been referenced, and seems far more of an issue for women than men...

Just my thoughts--I certainly don't mean to negate any of the positives going VLC can have for *some* folks, and esp. those of you doing Dr. K's leptin reset. But IME VLC has come with more negatives than positives *for me*.
                        +1
                        Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                        Harold Whitman

Comment

• Horsewoman, sorry to hear about your situation. I am currently reading and using the exercises in Paul McKennas I can make you happy. Yes, I know....but actually some of the exercises he has are actually really good. (I was surprised!) anyway, this is not to make anything in your life seem trivial and fixed by a book! But worth a 5 punt to see if it helps you move forward a step or two.

Comment

• Horsewoman, I'm so sorry to hear this - but I'm thinking the fact that you've written this down and are now taking positive steps in moving forward, that your healing has begun? You sound like an incredibly bright person, who's a bit stuck at the moment and at the risk of sounding cliched, I'm sure time will tell and you'll come out of this happier and stronger. IMO, when you're trying to pull out of something like this, we seem to immerse ourselves deeper (bit like when trying to lose weight, we have to think about our food more often) but hopefully the end result will be in sight soon.
                            This Lancashire lass, living in the US, is wishing you well - you're a northern gal too, you're a fighter and you'll be good

Comment

• Oh god, I don't know how I would cope with that either! I didn't mean to belittle your situation, I hope you didn't take that away from what I said. My main point was that sometimes adrenal fatigue can't be fixed by just increasing certain micronutrients and you need some actual hormone replacement therapy.
                              As you say though, you're still in the midst of your 'crisis' even though the event is over, you're still dealing with it. You may be right that when you get past this you may start to recover. I certainly hope so.
                              My Journal

Comment

• Morning guys - well, I was going to come here all of a moan - this is day 2 and yesterday was tough as I got hungry in between meals (afternoon and evening). HOWEVER, I did thankfully decide to measure myself across the thickest part of me (no, not my head) but approx belly-button area and after just 1 day, I've lost 1.5" - no weight loss but that doesn't surprise me, and no inch loss from anywhere else. I do have some questions though:

1) The loading up of protein in the morning is also something advised to people starting low-carb (for me, Atkins, the whole food, no artificial anything kind in case you're wondering), so I've already been there and done that, do I need to do it again? I'm noticing no difference hunger wise than I did when I had 25g of protein.
                                2) This maybe stating the obvious, but if I'm stuffed on 50g protein in the morning, but I'm shoving it down anyway. I probably need to find higher protein, less dense foods I guess.
                                3) My food intake is no different pre-Leptin reset, it's just eaten at the 3 meals. My snack of choice was CO in a drink mid morning and mid afternoon and this completely staved of any hunger (if I missed one, I'd get hungry in the evening) - so I thought I'd just have the CO in a drink at mealtimes. Strangely, this is not working and for the first time, I'm feeling hungry in the evening. Is this normal and will it go do you think?
                                4) Are protein shakes ok in the morning (husband is doing this)?

So, I'm not moaning, more questioning

Comment

Working...
                                X