Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Katblack View Post
    Thanx Geostump, for sharing what has been working for you.
    I think I need a better form of magnesium supplement and I will have to try the super enzymes for sure. I don't know anything about resveratrol or sublingual b-complex, so I guess I have some researching to do. I would get a check up, but have no insurance so I am just going by feel.
    I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat as you, no insurance. I basically go by how I feel as well. I get most of my supplements off of iHerb.com - Vitamins, Supplements & Natural Health Products. The Super Enzymes are made by NOW Labarotories and I do love them.
    Georgette

Comment

• What about L-tryptophan? I have some, but then it seems that I read something somewhere that it wasn't good to take it. Anyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
        I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat as you, no insurance. I basically go by how I feel as well. I get most of my supplements off of iHerb.com - Vitamins, Supplements & Natural Health Products. The Super Enzymes are made by NOW Labarotories and I do love them.
        Well we have insurance but I can tell you that it DOES NOT pay for supplements and most Dr.s' that you will want to see that are natural health minded will not be covered by insurance. For instance the MD that I was seeing that has a natural health practice requires you to pay him and then submit your claim to insurance. Of course he is out of network and then we have a deductible so I had to pay $120.00 at the visit and $32.00 of that went towards our deductible, Whoopee!

Yes, insurance is good for some testing etc. but I had to pay for all my additional thyroid testing that was considered beyond normal (rT3, FT3, FT4) My stool test, progesterone, cortisol all of that is out of pocket and DOES NOT count towards your deductible because they do DO NOT recognize those tests. So I would be prepared to still be paying quite a bit out of pocket until something radical changes in our medical network in the US. Not trying to rain on your parade but most of the testing and things we need and believe in according to the Primal/Paleo lifestyle are just not covered.

Comment

• Morning guys - I'm another sans-insurance!

What type of Mag are you taking? I got a huge jar of Mag oxide 500mg which I'm wading through before buying more though.

My sleep is still pretty up and down - I'm the world's worst worrier which I'm pretty sure isn't helping sleep or cortisol levels - any tips? I took some valerian and passiflora last night and was still awake at 1am. I'm concerned that anything I take at night will interfere with the liver's process - am I right/wrong? I live out in the country, so when I turn the lights out, it's black however, I can't do much about the owls and foxes making their racket all bloody night - I'm easily disturbed. Whatever time I get to sleep and no matter how disturbed (or not), I'm always waking up between 6.30 and 7am.

I'm taking so many supplements, I'm beginning to rattle: 3,000 vit D, multi-vit, 500mg resveratol, vit B complex, ALA, 1000mg Magn, L-Tyrosine (found that in my stash today and thought, heck, why not!). I'm thinking I should be taking the super enzyme too as I have no gall-bladder.

Comment

• Originally posted by MollyMoo View Post

What type of Mag are you taking? .
            I take Jigsaw Mg - its malic acid as dimagnesium malate. It works really well for me...
            The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
            What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
            SW 190lb
            Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
            25 Sep 2011 160lbs
            1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
            GW ~135lbs
            5'3"
            Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

• Hey guys, I could really use some help/advice.

Three weeks ago I accidentally started the Leptin Reset, more or less, I was drinking hearty protein shakes every morning, too busy for snacking or even lunch most of the time, and really, too full all day from the shake, early dinners, and then to bed. I lost 8 pounds in two weeks. It was awesome. I was in a fantastic mood and had so much energy. I returned to the forum and stumbled upon this thread, it all made sense! So I decided to follow the reset more closely and intentionally.

In the first two weeks I was adding a teaspoon of maple syrup to the shakes in the morning. I'm not doing that now. I was eating a lot of macadamia nuts, pretty much as lunch by themselves some days. Not doing that now. I was not paying attention to carbs, I'm naturally not terribly carby, but during those two weeks I ate a fair amount of potatoes and a little white rice occasionally, the occasional gluten free beer or cider. I've slipped into VLC this week, no potatoes, no rice, just whatever I get from leafy greens, broccoli, etc. I've been extra careful to leave at least 4 hours between the last time I eat and bedtime.

Problem is, I don't feel so hot now. The weight loss has stalled this week (Not gaining, anyway, at least), and that's okay, that can wait. The big problem is, last night I had a night terror/panic attack. I haven't had one of those for a couple of months. I was getting them once a week at least for many years now, and they got really bad during a Whole30 I did, when I ended up in ketosis. When I upped the carbs again (and immediately gained over 10 lbs, grrr), the panics subsided. Why would that be happening? What the heck did i do to myself? Does this make sense? Do I just need more carbs?

In general, my energy is lower this week than it has been those first two weeks, my mood is less incandescent, I'm even a bit grumpy and snappish. There has also been extra home life stress, so that could also be a factor, but I felt so unphased by any stressors for those two weeks.

After the bad time during the Whole30 I went to a ND who told me I had Adrenal Fatigue, low progesterone, high estrogen, based on my symptoms, he gave me some homeopathic stuff though, and I just wasn't feeling it, so I went out and got Dr. Wilson's Adrenal Fatigue book and started following his recommendations to good results. Except, you know, the weight gain. Then, in an effort to correct a life time of wonky menstruation and assorted female troubles, I started using natural progesterone cream (omg, best thing ever! Normal, regular, pain free menstruation! No month of sore boobs and 3 month long cycles! No cramps!). I also take, and have for the past year, 10,000 iu Vitamin D3, 300mg 5-HTP (I know this may be questionable, it was recommended by a book on Fibromyalgia, one of the first things that started to help the pain and my poor sleeping), 800 magnesium citrate, strong probiotic, heavy duty C complex, B complex, Diindolylmethane (to try to shed excess estrogen, only started this in the last 2 months), and 50mg of Zinc every other day.

I know that's a wall'o'text, but if anyone can see something I'm doing terribly wrong, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I guess I'll just add more potatoes back into my life? I want to feel that good again, and I do NOT want those blasted night terrors.
              Journaling the process of kicking my own butt into shape

Comment

• Well, I have now gone from 268 - 255 after 3 weeks on the reset. To be fair much of that was carb/water weight the first week as I was eating like crap for the 2 months prior. That said, I really like the plan. The protein boost in the morning gets me going, and I have no cravings or want to snack. So week one - 8 pounds, week two - 2 pounds, week 3 - 3 pounds.

Thanks Dr. K and Geo our resident leptinatrix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shijin13 View Post
                  AFter reading Dr K's blog on the MG... I upped my mg from 500 - to 750mg/day... (250mg in the am, and 500mg at night) And while I felt great on the 500mg... I feel even better on the 750. (waiting on my resupply to get here -hope it arrives today - as I only have enough for 2more days) Considering I have migraines, bipolar disorder, PTSD, undiagnosed PCOS, Fibromalaygia, and by Dr K's Leptin Mirror test I'm definatly LR, probably also IR, so I most likely have metabolic syndrome, and I'm guessing w/all of the above my thryoid, cortisol and adrenals are out of whack too. I'll have my blood work done tomorrow - and I'll get confirmation on all of this. I'm on week 10 - but I've only lost 2lbs... so I've obviously got a LOT to work on...most of it is probably hormonal... BUT I'm seeing major progress in resetting Leptin: Increased sex drive, increased BBT, Return of hunger/full signaling (I'm getting full 20mins into my BAB), I'm getting HOT w/in 20min after finishing eating, I'm no longer sore after LHT (I did P90X Legs/back on Sat - and I normally can't walk the next day - no soreness at all!), I'm sleeping w/o covers at night, I'm sleeping better - even w/my 16mth old still waking several times at night to nurse (thank god for co-sleeping!), I no longer have cravings - heck I dropped my 2nd cup of coffee w/o any w/drawl symptoms, I feel alert and rested in the AM (even at 6am! - hoping this holds, when I have to start getting up at 5am in Oct!).... For those who are several weeks in - and haven't seen any wt loss - you may not see any depending on what else you have going on...hang in there...it may take a while for you to see success... follow the guidelines Dr K lays out in his blog, and what he answers here and be patient... you're setting yourself up for long term success.

For the question about what supplements ppl are taking - here's what I'm taking 1100 mg O3 w/a EPA-DHA 2:1 ration (4/am & 4/pm), Innate Response Baby & Me multi-vitamins, 10000mg of Vit D3, probiotics, and 750mg of Mg... I'm waiting on some B, 5-HTP, and melatonin. After my testing is done we'll see what else I should be taking - based upon what my labs say - and also if I need to see a speciality doc....
                  A lot of that sounds really familiar. Here's the page I wrote to show people once things got sorted out. It has my supplements on it.

dietforhumans.com: My Diet and Plan

Good luck and keep us posted..

Comment

• Originally posted by DrMommyN View Post
                    I had a lightbulb moment today. I watched a video by Dr Pendergrass (sorry the link wouldn't work), and reread Dr Kruse's blog on cortisol from page 5. Pendergrass' video was aimed for a introductory audience, but he has a few good diagrams right toward the end. I have found myself making similar diagrams while reading Dr Kruse to help me digest the information. So what hit me is what Dr. Kruse has been saying over and over in this thread about high cortisol. Pendergrass' diagram is inflammation (from PUFAs or stress) leads to high cortisol which leads to making you want to eat and putting fat on the abdomen. Isn't this exactly the two things I complained about yesterday? So the key is to reduce inflammation which I believe Kruse says is caused by high PUFAs, leaky gut, and are there others he has listed (besides the obvious carbs)? Also, this is a bit simplistic as high cortisol has other causes than inflammation.

Guess that is why the cortisol and Omega 3/6 tests would be helpful. . . . My doc only tested Blood Cortisol for morning which was toward the top of the normal range.

No change in fullness with my first day of supplementing 5-HTP - what was I expecting immediate results?!
                    I'll bet that both folks have simplified things a bit in their posts. But, reading through Dr.K's entire blog and you will find it is still anything but simple. Try reading some of the earlier posts on leptin for more information on cortisol.

Comment

• Originally posted by punkgrokgirl View Post
                      Hey guys, I could really use some help/advice.

Three weeks ago I accidentally started the Leptin Reset, more or less, I was drinking hearty protein shakes every morning, too busy for snacking or even lunch most of the time, and really, too full all day from the shake, early dinners, and then to bed. I lost 8 pounds in two weeks. It was awesome. I was in a fantastic mood and had so much energy. I returned to the forum and stumbled upon this thread, it all made sense! So I decided to follow the reset more closely and intentionally.

In the first two weeks I was adding a teaspoon of maple syrup to the shakes in the morning. I'm not doing that now. I was eating a lot of macadamia nuts, pretty much as lunch by themselves some days. Not doing that now. I was not paying attention to carbs, I'm naturally not terribly carby, but during those two weeks I ate a fair amount of potatoes and a little white rice occasionally, the occasional gluten free beer or cider. I've slipped into VLC this week, no potatoes, no rice, just whatever I get from leafy greens, broccoli, etc. I've been extra careful to leave at least 4 hours between the last time I eat and bedtime.

Problem is, I don't feel so hot now. The weight loss has stalled this week (Not gaining, anyway, at least), and that's okay, that can wait. The big problem is, last night I had a night terror/panic attack. I haven't had one of those for a couple of months. I was getting them once a week at least for many years now, and they got really bad during a Whole30 I did, when I ended up in ketosis. When I upped the carbs again (and immediately gained over 10 lbs, grrr), the panics subsided. Why would that be happening? What the heck did i do to myself? Does this make sense? Do I just need more carbs?

In general, my energy is lower this week than it has been those first two weeks, my mood is less incandescent, I'm even a bit grumpy and snappish. There has also been extra home life stress, so that could also be a factor, but I felt so unphased by any stressors for those two weeks.

After the bad time during the Whole30 I went to a ND who told me I had Adrenal Fatigue, low progesterone, high estrogen, based on my symptoms, he gave me some homeopathic stuff though, and I just wasn't feeling it, so I went out and got Dr. Wilson's Adrenal Fatigue book and started following his recommendations to good results. Except, you know, the weight gain. Then, in an effort to correct a life time of wonky menstruation and assorted female troubles, I started using natural progesterone cream (omg, best thing ever! Normal, regular, pain free menstruation! No month of sore boobs and 3 month long cycles! No cramps!). I also take, and have for the past year, 10,000 iu Vitamin D3, 300mg 5-HTP (I know this may be questionable, it was recommended by a book on Fibromyalgia, one of the first things that started to help the pain and my poor sleeping), 800 magnesium citrate, strong probiotic, heavy duty C complex, B complex, Diindolylmethane (to try to shed excess estrogen, only started this in the last 2 months), and 50mg of Zinc every other day.

I know that's a wall'o'text, but if anyone can see something I'm doing terribly wrong, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I guess I'll just add more potatoes back into my life? I want to feel that good again, and I do NOT want those blasted night terrors.
                      I have adrenal issues too and also have Dr. Wilson's book. Have you tried any of his supplements? They are pricey. I took them for 3 months and now supplement with 1,000 mg Pantothenic acid, 3,000-5,0000mg vit c, 800 iu of Vit e Complex, 400mg mag chelate and 2 high potency b-complex daily. This is just for adrenal health. I take other supplements as well. He addresses all of these supplements in his book.

I would look into that first since the abrupt diet change could have stressed the adrenals but ultimately the reset diet is excellent for the adrenals and if you are supporting them with the proper supplementation and trying to be as stress free as possible they will heal under this protocol.

Comment

• Originally posted by natural_girl View Post
                        Well we have insurance but I can tell you that it DOES NOT pay for supplements and most Dr.s' that you will want to see that are natural health minded will not be covered by insurance. For instance the MD that I was seeing that has a natural health practice requires you to pay him and then submit your claim to insurance. Of course he is out of network and then we have a deductible so I had to pay $120.00 at the visit and $32.00 of that went towards our deductible, Whoopee!

Yes, insurance is good for some testing etc. but I had to pay for all my additional thyroid testing that was considered beyond normal (rT3, FT3, FT4) My stool test, progesterone, cortisol all of that is out of pocket and DOES NOT count towards your deductible because they do DO NOT recognize those tests. So I would be prepared to still be paying quite a bit out of pocket until something radical changes in our medical network in the US. Not trying to rain on your parade but most of the testing and things we need and believe in according to the Primal/Paleo lifestyle are just not covered.
                        Do you think I don't realize that? I'm primarily concerned that we don't have insurance as my husband is a diabetic and we have 3 daughters. Unfortunately, insurance through my company is god but it costs a friggin arm, leg and a head. My husband's work only provides an HSA w/a $10,000 deductible so you know that won't do shit. I have never had a physical in my life and probably never will. I just want them covered and that is primarily why I am looking for new employment.
                        Georgette

Comment

• One thing to be careful of when starting VLC is the liver load of some supplements and many drugs, including OTC drugs. The liver has to reconfigure and heal to have a successful VLC experience. The only supplements/drugs that should be taken in the beginning of VLC are those that do not impact the liver, or those that are know as necessary. This isn't talk about online by MD's much because what safe and effective needs to be determined individually. They also don't want to inadvertently encourage someone to harm themselves by stopping a necessary drug.
                          But the beginning of VLC is not the time to "add stuff that may help" unless there's a specific recommendation from a credible source that is experienced in LC/VLC.
                          I choose to take Mg/ Omega 3/ vit D on VLC. I will add a higher potency mutli vit/min when I'm confident my liver is "reconfigured" and I can judge any impact the multivitamin may have on my metabolism. I don't know what other people should do. But I'm sure that no one should just add stuff when starting VLC to see if it might help. It is much more likely to just add to metabolic load and stall/stop weight loss.

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
                            Do you think I don't realize that? I'm primarily concerned that we don't have insurance as my husband is a diabetic and we have 3 daughters. Unfortunately, insurance through my company is god but it costs a friggin arm, leg and a head. My husband's work only provides an HSA w/a $10,000 deductible so you know that won't do shit. I have never had a physical in my life and probably never will. I just want them covered and that is primarily why I am looking for new employment.

Sorry, wasn't trying to offend you but wanted others to know that most of these tests are not covered by any insurance. I didn't realize your DH is diabetic. Will he not consider the Primal lifestyle? Would be great if he did the reset with you! Thankfully we are pretty healthy but I have 3 kids also. We mainly go to the Dr. for damn strep throat throughout the year and honestly I stopped taking them to our family Dr. because after insurance and before the deductible (we never make the deductible every year since we don't really go to the Dr.) it costs $80.00 for the visit and $14.00 for the test after insurance. I can take them over to the quick clinic and be in and out for $60.00 without any insurance. We pay about $500.00 a month for insurance and would have to pay twice that if we elected the plan higher which would have a lower deductible but I think it is 6 of one half dozen of the other.

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                              Well, I have now gone from 268 - 255 after 3 weeks on the reset. To be fair much of that was carb/water weight the first week as I was eating like crap for the 2 months prior. That said, I really like the plan. The protein boost in the morning gets me going, and I have no cravings or want to snack. So week one - 8 pounds, week two - 2 pounds, week 3 - 3 pounds.

Thanks Dr. K and Geo our resident leptinatrix.
                              Congrats!!

Ok, now you're making me blush
                              Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by natural_girl View Post
                                Sorry, wasn't trying to offend you but wanted others to know that most of these tests are not covered by any insurance. I didn't realize your DH is diabetic. Will he not consider the Primal lifestyle? Would be great if he did the reset with you! Thankfully we are pretty healthy but I have 3 kids also. We mainly go to the Dr. for damn strep throat throughout the year and honestly I stopped taking them to our family Dr. because after insurance and before the deductible (we never make the deductible every year since we don't really go to the Dr.) it costs $80.00 for the visit and $14.00 for the test after insurance. I can take them over to the quick clinic and be in and out for $60.00 without any insurance. We pay about $500.00 a month for insurance and would have to pay twice that if we elected the plan higher which would have a lower deductible but I think it is 6 of one half dozen of the other.
                                HA!! That's a good one. Seriously. He tried primal once before and lost interest in a week. He still falls into CW and I can't get him to change. I'm more concerned with my daughters to be honest. My oldest is showing possible PCOS signs and the middle daughter may as well. All 3 of them are going to start primal next week with a protein heavy breakfast. Figured if I can get them to start this way it's better than nothing.
                                Georgette

Comment

Working...
                                X