Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Marnee View Post
    Georgette, please keep walking. Stress relief is invaluable. I would be very surprised if it was hurting your Leptin sensitivity progress. And lower stress would likely help reset those hormones, anyway.

I think your late day hunger is likely due to routine. It can take over 2 weeks for Ghrelin cycles to adjust to new routines and food intakes. Maybe just give it a few days and see how it goes. Also, take it easy and eat more slowly. It can take 20 minutes for fullness signals to reach the brain, so let your hormones catch up to your stomach growlies. I know my hunger growlies always seem bigger than they really are.
    I'm in this for the long haul. I have already seen some pretty amazing changes in my body for which I am grateful for.

I do eat very slowly. It's sort of difficult to not eat slowly doing this. Lunch is the only meal that I tend to eat "quickly" and that's because where I work, we only get 30 minutes for lunch and we're down to 1 microwave so it makes eating treacherous at the least.
    Georgette

Comment

• This morning I'm figuring I ate more than 50g of protein with 4 eggs, 2.5oz of chorizo, 4oz sirloin and half cup cottage cheese. I don't feel overly stuffed and I ate within 45 minutes of waking. We'll see if this makes a difference.
      Georgette

Comment

• WHY SLEEP AND LEPTIN ARE YOKED? | Jack Kruse

More parts to the story unleashed......enjoy.

Comment

• I've been doing this for nearly a week and it's getting easier to eat earlier. This morning I had two scrambled eggs at about 7:30, then at 8:30 I ate the 20 shrimp I had planned on putting in my lunch salad. That's about 55 grams of protein and I don't think I'm going to be able to physically eat again until at least 2:00!
          Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
          Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
          CW: 146.8 lbs
          GW 140 lbs
          A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

• Originally posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
            WHY SLEEP AND LEPTIN ARE YOKED? | Jack Kruse

More parts to the story unleashed......enjoy.
            Color me so not surprised. Yet another highly informative post that remains essentially useless in that while it states the problem in aggravating detail it continues to ignore any kind of comprehensive solution. That's fine. Your blog, your method and all that free speech internet lingo.

Tell me something, Doc. Is it true that years after *fixing* your leptin issues you're still eating monstrous amounts of protein at breakfast every day?

Because I was fine with entertaining an extreme initiation for a couple of months before moving back to something more balanced (like Mark Sisson's veggie-heavy version of the primal blueprint), as a *fix* or a *reset* . . . but I really can't see making a lifestyle out of it.

And ultimately, while you really do annoy me, (white space is your friend, on the web, man), and your approach frustrates me (actual solutions to the problems that beset us are also our friend) - I also recognize that that really isn't your problem. You're doing what you're doing and that's your thing and that's great.

My own fault for looking to you for solutions when plainly the single *solution* you threw out was anecdotal and (near as I can tell) unintentional. And long as I've been part of this forum and watched this kind of bandwagon performance happen over and over again wherein a handful of people jump on *the latest new thing* with scant information - I usually try not to be one of them and I should have known better.

My own fault for letting a plateau panic me.

Keep doing what you're doing, Doc, near as I can tell from this forum and reading the comments on your blog you're helping (or at least encouraging) a lot of readers. Sorry to be the dissenting voice (I know I'm not the only one, but I'll probably be the biggest tailpipe about it).

*wanders back to the slower path that I started on. It showed results and fit my lifestyle and my vision of my future lifestlye.*

Comment

• Originally posted by brahnamin View Post
              .And ultimately, while you really do annoy me, (white space is your friend, on the web, man)...
              Do you have the Readability bookmarklet? You just drag this thing to your toolbar. Click it when you're on a page where the formatting is tiring. It takes the text and gives you an easy to read page.

Comment

• Originally posted by brahnamin View Post
                Color me so not surprised. Yet another highly informative post that remains essentially useless in that while it states the problem in aggravating detail it continues to ignore any kind of comprehensive solution. That's fine. Your blog, your method and all that free speech internet lingo.

Tell me something, Doc. Is it true that years after *fixing* your leptin issues you're still eating monstrous amounts of protein at breakfast every day?

Because I was fine with entertaining an extreme initiation for a couple of months before moving back to something more balanced (like Mark Sisson's veggie-heavy version of the primal blueprint), as a *fix* or a *reset* . . . but I really can't see making a lifestyle out of it.

And ultimately, while you really do annoy me, (white space is your friend, on the web, man), and your approach frustrates me (actual solutions to the problems that beset us are also our friend) - I also recognize that that really isn't your problem. You're doing what you're doing and that's your thing and that's great.

My own fault for looking to you for solutions when plainly the single *solution* you threw out was anecdotal and (near as I can tell) unintentional. And long as I've been part of this forum and watched this kind of bandwagon performance happen over and over again wherein a handful of people jump on *the latest new thing* with scant information - I usually try not to be one of them and I should have known better.

My own fault for letting a plateau panic me.

Keep doing what you're doing, Doc, near as I can tell from this forum and reading the comments on your blog you're helping (or at least encouraging) a lot of readers. Sorry to be the dissenting voice (I know I'm not the only one, but I'll probably be the biggest tailpipe about it).

*wanders back to the slower path that I started on. It showed results and fit my lifestyle and my vision of my future lifestlye.*
                Sheesh. Use google. Dr Kruse is offering up good leads and info we don't see that often. Use his info as a starting point and see what's out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
                  Do you have the Readability bookmarklet? You just drag this thing to your toolbar. Click it when you're on a page where the formatting is tiring. It takes the text and gives you an easy to read page.
                  I have readability on my tool bar: the problem with these posts is paragraph size = way too big, and lack of headings to guide the reader. That's real readability. The reader's summary is nice, but headings and shorter paragraphs would be better for web reading.
                  Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

• Did I jump on a bandwagon? I thought I was experimenting with my body to see what works. And sharing with others what I find. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't, hell Ive done tons of CW.

Sorry for being sensitive and taking it personal, but it's one of those days.
                    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70684.html

Comment

• I feel I should chime in with something more than a web readability comment. I find Dr. Kruse's ideas compelling (having listened to the Jimmy Moore interview) and, while not going wholeheartedly into a leptin sensitivity reset, I have started eating 50g or so of protein in the morning. Already, the morning cravings for junk are gone and I've begun to sweat a bit on my short daily walks (which was not happening a week or so ago). I look forward to seeing even more results from my minimal n=1 experiment.
                      Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kymma View Post
                        Did I jump on a bandwagon? I thought I was experimenting with my body to see what works. And sharing with others what I find. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't, hell Ive done tons of CW.

Agree. I don't see what's the big deal. The leptin articles and forum topics have enough "WHO and WHY" in them that this is not some "once since fits all" fad. People can read, I would hope.

I wasn't around when the IF stuff started, but that is, in my opinion, a "bandwagon." If it didn't start out that way, it ended up that way.

I guess any topic can end up this way. A few people pay attention in the beginning, report good results, and someone picks up on it and starts asking how to participate without knowing what the purpose was in the first place. I would like to think this leptin topic has been clear enough that people are staying informed and not just following the flock for no reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
                          No, I hadn't heard of that. I'll definitely check it out.

Originally posted by DFH
                          Dr Kruse is offering up good leads and info we don't see that often. Use his info as a starting point and see what's out there.
                          Yes, Leptin Disciple, he is. And I'm glad if it's working for you. But we've been here seeing success stories like Dave's for years now with barely word one about leptin and I have privately become of the opinion from what I have read and experienced lately that those things which handle insulin sensitivity by default will also help with leptin sensitivity and vise versa.

My only real beef with the whole *leptin* program is the rigidity and structure (as necessary as some of them are, I don't believe they are the only way to achieve the same goal).

My beef with Dr. Kruse isn't with his information, which - as you say - is a useful springboard in it's own right. My beef with Dr. Kruse is his approach, which I've now decided to respect by walking away from because it DOES frustrate me to read post after post about *the problem* - which will be apparently as multifaceted and quilt-like as promised - with nary a glancing blow at a solution.

Except when he mocked Oprah.

And I still think that *giveaway* was a bit accidental.

Don't get me wrong. I've learned a bit through this process and I'll take that with me as I go. But I won't keep chugging along with something I don't fully understand when I'm not getting any real answers to most of my questions. Hell, I learned a fair bit from Gary Taubes, too, but that man is in dire need of a ghost writer - preferably one with a personality. Dr. Kruse is just as dry and in need of an editor to go with his ghost writer.

*shrUg*

I've seen a lot of people pat Dr. Kruse on the back for everything he's doing - I've done it myself - and for what it's worth I meant it. It would be a bit dishonest not to let him know the parts I don't like along with the parts I do. Maybe he'll learn a bit from the dissent as I learned a bit from what he has written - unpalatable as it may be up front.

Did I jump on a bandwagon? I thought I was experimenting with my body to see what works. And sharing with others what I find. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't, hell Ive done tons of CW.

Yeah, I knew my post wasn't going to win me any popularity points.

Please don't take what I said personally. I certainly don't want to discourage anybody else. I get self experimentation. It is the basis of everything I do. I'm just kicking myself for jumping on this bandwagon with little to no information. I don't remember where you started. I know DFH at least has Mastering Leptin to refer to. I have no such resources and should have stayed out of it til I did.

I didn't start primal until I had been here for over a year soaking up everything I could.

I should have applied a similar strategy here.

Comment

• Originally posted by DFH View Post
                            I wasn't around when the IF stuff started, but that is, in my opinion, a "bandwagon." If it didn't start out that way, it ended up that way.
                            Agree.

And interestingly enough, bandwagon or not, it still works for some people. As will the Leptin Diet.

And for the record (as I commented on Dr. Kruse's blog) I am seeing results from the leptin reset he prescribed for Oprah. But I am also frustrated by his approach and doubly frustrated by the notion that the leptin diet (as he practices it) leads to more of the same - big early breakfast full of tons of protein on an (apparently) daily basis.

Meatworld or online, I tend to be pretty blunt and straightforward. No apologies. I certainly don't feel obligated to be less blunt or straightforward when dealing with someone like Mark Sisson or Dr. Kruse.

Comment

• @Brahnamin, like you the good doctor's posts do confuse me quite a bit as well. I am grateful that I have a friend who is a biologist and medical researcher and this friend has helped me understand the gist of what the doctor is saying.

Thus far it is workinig for me. The ironic part is that this WOE is how I started primal in the first place. Did I try IF too soon? Most possibly yes, so I am resetting myself to the beginning. Not jumping on any bandwagons here. Just resetting myself to how I originally started primal and am now seeing changes. For the first time in a year, I have on a pair of jeans I haven't been able to wear for a long time. So maybe I'm calling this primal w/less carbs and no IF. All I have to say is 2 weeks in, its working.
                              Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                                Bison, venison and goat meat are all some really good protein dense options that will not leaving you overstuffed on calories.
                                Mmmmm, goat. I had a beautiful goat roast the other day with some lovely, luscious pork-like fat, and had it again with my breakfast the next morning. I love quality meat leftovers, hot or cold, any time of day.

I may be having some success. I always fall apart when I hit Trader Joe's at lunchtime, and I went at that time yesterday, and on the way out, they were having a pie-eating contest - huge slice of lovely high quality apple pie covered in quality whipped cream - and I didn't for a second consider joining it, or even asking for a bit. Not for a second. there are days (even jujst last week), when I've been primed by sugar, and I wouldn't consider, no matter how many interior arguments, *not* having some - it was inevitable. Yesterday was the opposite.

I've been hungry, but not really cared about having more than I needed to satisfy that hunger. I'm able to choose to stop eating meat at around 4oz at dinner instead of not feeling satisfied till I've had 8-10oz.
                                5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                                Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                                Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                                Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                                ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Working...
                                X