Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AmieSue View Post
    Hazy, are you a Chinese medicine practitioner?
    Sort of- I'm a Medical Qigong practitioner, which is technically a branch of Traditional Chinese Medicine and is based in the same concepts as acupuncture, so I know about things like Five Element Theory, qi, etc.
    I've read about Chinese medicine as a hobby for years. It's pretty intricate and there's a lot I don't know.
    http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
      Sort of- I'm a Medical Qigong practitioner, which is technically a branch of Traditional Chinese Medicine and is based in the same concepts as acupuncture, so I know about things like Five Element Theory, qi, etc.
      I've read about Chinese medicine as a hobby for years. It's pretty intricate and there's a lot I don't know.
      I see, very interesting. My husband has wanted me to check into Chinese medicine for some time. I have had 5 health practitioners who don't know one another, all tell me that I have "low organ energy", "no fire", "no life force". Everyone of them has said that they sense stagnation in my liver as well. I am going to some acupuncture sessions about 1x a week or every other week... but none of them really say how to get that fire back. (I bet Dr. K will say.... CT! hehe)
      Amie Sue...

Comment

• When I do ice packs, I get the cherry red on the spot where it touched my skin. But I never turn even slightly pink in the ice bath. Does anyone?
        5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
        Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
        Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
        Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
        ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
          When I do ice packs, I get the cherry red on the spot where it touched my skin. But I never turn even slightly pink in the ice bath. Does anyone?
          I am opposite of you.. pink with packs but not so much in the pool which is 48-52 degrees.
          Amie Sue...

Comment

• Time to jump in the deep end and say hello. I'm Bee. I started reading this thread in September and have been catching up off and on since. With plenty of travel between then and now, there was no point starting until I could commit and give it my full focus. Hubby is on board with the leptin reset, but not yet with the CT. Keeps telling me he'll divorce me if I turn the thermostat down further (it's only at 62).

I'm 31yo mom of two, 5'5" and 152 lbs, down 8 lbs since we started our Whole30 on 2/21... quickly followed by the LR on 2/24. After the past year restricting calories and taking up running and seeing no WL, this is amazing (down 11lbs total since starting paleo). I'm in this to become optimal--Dr K, you've changed my life! Thank you, 1000x thank you!

I still have another 25 lbs (or more) to lose and I'm excited for the body comp changes and no more brain fog--very much looking forward to not feeling stupid all the time. Since starting the LR, I've started dreaming again, depression and cravings are completely GONE. This is so major for me. I am no longer suicidal or constantly thinking about food or feeling deprived, and I'm eating my BAB and dinner with no hunger in between. Using f.lux screens and turning all the lights out--hubby rolls his eyes but is coming around.

Tonight's my third night of the CT face dip... The first night I nearly drowned myself with my gasp reflex. I can stay in the water just fine... but I need a nose clip (or maybe a snorkel). Already noticing I'm sleeping better. Without insurance, I'm doing labs on my own. Would love to get my cortisol tested, but starting with the directlabs women's special for this month (which includes hs-CRP) & D levels...

/novel.
            31, 5'5"
            Primal since Feb 2012
            Whole30 Start: 2/21/12
            LR start: 2/24 @ 155.2
            CW: 149
            Goal: 18% BF

Comment

I see, very interesting. My husband has wanted me to check into Chinese medicine for some time. I have had 5 health practitioners who don't know one another, all tell me that I have "low organ energy", "no fire", "no life force". Everyone of them has said that they sense stagnation in my liver as well. I am going to some acupuncture sessions about 1x a week or every other week... but none of them really say how to get that fire back. (I bet Dr. K will say.... CT! hehe)
              Usually, low digestive fire is weak spleen (pancreas) qi, which also affects the stomach (spleen/stomach are connected).
              I was the queen of weak spleen qi when I was a raw vegan, lol! Food went right through me. Eating most of my food cooked and taking certain herbs from my acupuncturist, as well as drinking oolong and pu-erh teas (both are black tea) with citrus peel added has really helped my spleen qi (and doing qigong has helped, too).

No life force usually has to do with the kidney system, which is where our foundational physical life force is generated and stored (and then circulated to all the other organs). Long-standing adrenal fatigue can result in that and some people are born deficient. I've been in that boat- so little life force that acupuncture wasn't working (you have to have a certain amount of qi to begin with to circulate it!).
              I ended up needed medical qigong energetic treatments (where the practitioner literally infuses you with more energy) before I could even start to heal. That was a life-changer and the reason I started studying medical qigong.

Comment

I am opposite of you.. pink with packs but not so much in the pool which is 48-52 degrees.
                Do you mean you get red or nothing in the pool? I get no color change in the ice bath.

I think it's probably just not cold enough.

Did Dr. Kruse ever answer the question, for those whose tap water is 40 degrees, whether they should warm it up a bit and stay in the full hour, or just hit cherry red in ten minutes and then get out?
                5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                  Do you mean you get red or nothing in the pool? I get no color change in the ice bath.

I think it's probably just not cold enough.

Did Dr. Kruse ever answer the question, for those whose tap water is 40 degrees, whether they should warm it up a bit and stay in the full hour, or just hit cherry red in ten minutes and then get out?
                  I get red from the ice bricks, and pink in the bath. Yesterday I noticed my toes immediately turn white, and my toenails blue, but the colour slowly came back over about 15 minutes in the bath.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oldschool View Post
                    I've always been a warm weather person. I thought moving to Hawaii would just be the best. I hated the cold.

Then I found Dr. Kruse's blog and it led me here. I'm reading the testimonials and gathering info and inspiration!

I'm working on it with cold water face plants cold showers. After I finish my mold remediation on my house so I can do a biotoxin clearing, I'll have my tub back.

I had a different attitude today when I went to the shop to make trim - no cranking up the wood stove and hovering near it. Pulled off my coat and went to work thinking to myself, "With my 03/06 ratio at 4.1 to 1, I'm ready to rock.

Change of perspective.

Martin
                    change of perspective indeed...I used to hate the winter, now I'm embracing any opportunity to get cold

I iced my belly this morning made 3 hour drive tonight to a hotel with the ac going and cold packs,and wearing leggins and a tank...i shivered almost the whole time (or at least had goosebumps) but talked myself through it. now i'm soaking in a teeny tub and my body feels warm (i did walk 2 miles on an incline once i checked in as i pretty much lazed aorund with the hubby today)

Originally posted by Fabbecky View Post
                    I am too afraid to have my droid anywhere near the tub, but I have been listening to podcasts, or paleo summit or "watching" movies, and it seems to work pretty well. I am still at about the 20min range, but I am working my up.
                    i have no prob killing an hour in the tub - sometimes is closer to 45 minutes ...i just keep a chair near enough to the tub so i can use the keyboards and far enough away so that if it falls over it wont fall into the water....i use my time catching up on the boards and jack's blog...goes by pretty fast esp as this board moves fast!

Originally posted by Croak View Post
                    Just a heads up, I stopped doing the "Croak Soak" boil a frog method. Now, I just fill the tub with ~50F water, get in, sit down, then recline up to my shoulder blades, neck, head and hands out of the water.

There is no longer any cold shock, just moderate to intense pain in my feet and ankles for the first minute or so that quickly passes. I do 20-30 minute soaks.

I don't know if any one was paying attention a few weeks back when I asked Doctor Kruse about the rather severe pitting edema in my shins (varicose issues, I suspect). It was making attempts at post-reset sprinting almost impossible to bear, the pain from just walking more than a few minutes was pretty severe. And the pitting itself was awful, with just modest pressure I could leave thumb-deep impressions in my shins that would last for minutes, it was like having modelling clay for skin and muscle there.

Well, after a few weeks of daily CT and immersing my shins the entire time, it's mostly cleared up. Very very mild edema, the skin is almost as elastic as the rest of my body. Pain has reduced to the point where it never flares while walking. At this rate, I suspect after a few more weeks it'll be a non-issue.

On top of that, I've been losing about 3 pounds per week on average since early February. Something's working.
                    wow - what a great update, thats so encouraging. i hope to be able to graduate from the "croak method"soon

Originally posted by Clabbergirl View Post
                    Bumping this up in the hopes that the images now appear since there's been time to clear the moderator. Any truth to this kind of body fat spot-checking? I'm about order a test for hormones also. Which is best for accuracy - saliva or blood? (for female panel, not including cortisol).
                    i love that graph - have no ideai if its true..i'mannoyed by my tricep area but my Dhea is not low and the rest doesnt seem to fit for me...

Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
                    Awesome results, very inspiring!!

Seems CT has amazing results for those with little to no hormonal issues. Am I right when I assume that hidden or underlying hormonal issues come to surface when you CT? Because in my case I feel like CT has improved my sleep and helped me clear some toxins, but at the same time I experience hormonal upheaval affecting my mood, weight loss (lack thereof) and general health. It's very weird, I like to think of it as bad issues leaving the body,but putting up a fight before clearing out? Like die-off?

I should mention that I have been spot-CTing my thyroid-area in the last 7 days on top of CT on my torso.
                    i've wondered the same thing glam...we know hormones like estrogen are trapped in fat so it stands to reason that if we do CT, and hopefully "shred fat" that excess hormones can be released.....hormones are a bi$ch

Originally posted by colleencoble View Post
                    I'm mostly interested in the CT for body composition. What's everyone else using it for? I mean, come on, most of us are never going to climb Mt Everest. So what is the point of it for you? I want to be healthy. I don't want to be skinny. I don't want less than 20% body fat. After all, I'm 60 and women my age look terrible when they are all sinew and bone. I don't intend to look like that, not when my blood tests look so terrific at a normal weight. I want to feel good enough to snorkel when I'm 90 if the good Lord still has me here. So what's your goal on this?
                    what a great question. yes a lot of it is vanity for me - i just want to look like me and recognize myself again...its def messed with my head...but i also want my energy back so i can get on with life and travel, and tackle all the things in life i want to accomplish. my health has held me back, so i hope this along with BHT gets sets me right again. what a bonus that my inflammation is going down....if it kickstarts my adrenals/thyroid and helps keep me from being sick and live to a ripe old age - that would be amazing

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                    I am just the same, RBee. I realized it last year about this time, when I had one of my "windows" of feeling like I used to with energy, joy, etc. I had practice with the jazz band that night, and REALLY ENJOYED playing my trumpet that night. I looked forward to it like I hadn't in years, and enjoyed every second of it, and couldn't wait to go again. Unfortunately, that didn't happen again all last year on a day that happened to be a jazz day.

That let me know what was missing. I simply had no idea until that window opened into the old me, like time-traveling, and I remembered what I really used to feel like. These days, back tot he me who enjoys little socializations, hates meeting new people, and only wants to research how to get my life back.

ahhhh, well said "the window" to show you everything you are missing....so sad. i am in the same boat....i am usually an extrovert/outgoing and i've def dropped off the social grid (Save for a few select good friends)....its taken a toll on my hubby as well...he wants his wife back.

Originally posted by natural_girl View Post
                    Same here! I can't sit still...never understood those people who said they would quit work if they won the lottery....wth would you do?
                    ha, I'd read up more on hormones and dr kruse's blog...lol....no, actually i'd go back to school - medical school...still planning on it once i move and get my health on track...its a goal that keeps me going.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bee View Post
                      Time to jump in the deep end and say hello. I'm Bee. I started reading this thread in September and have been catching up off and on since. With plenty of travel between then and now, there was no point starting until I could commit and give it my full focus. Hubby is on board with the leptin reset, but not yet with the CT. Keeps telling me he'll divorce me if I turn the thermostat down further (it's only at 62).

I'm 31yo mom of two, 5'5" and 152 lbs, down 8 lbs since we started our Whole30 on 2/21... quickly followed by the LR on 2/24. After the past year restricting calories and taking up running and seeing no WL, this is amazing (down 11lbs total since starting paleo). I'm in this to become optimal--Dr K, you've changed my life! Thank you, 1000x thank you!

I still have another 25 lbs (or more) to lose and I'm excited for the body comp changes and no more brain fog--very much looking forward to not feeling stupid all the time. Since starting the LR, I've started dreaming again, depression and cravings are completely GONE. This is so major for me. I am no longer suicidal or constantly thinking about food or feeling deprived, and I'm eating my BAB and dinner with no hunger in between. Using f.lux screens and turning all the lights out--hubby rolls his eyes but is coming around.

Tonight's my third night of the CT face dip... The first night I nearly drowned myself with my gasp reflex. I can stay in the water just fine... but I need a nose clip (or maybe a snorkel). Already noticing I'm sleeping better. Without insurance, I'm doing labs on my own. Would love to get my cortisol tested, but starting with the directlabs women's special for this month (which includes hs-CRP) & D levels...

/novel.
                      Hi and welcome.

Erin, I enjoyed your TCM-facts. When I started seeing dr Sue 3 years ago, she said my spleen was blocked and stomach damp... The dampness turned out to be candida! She was right, but in a way that wasn't helpful, as I never got rid of the candida with her.

Nutmegs, Im getting my BF% measured again in 2 weeks. I'm half expecting a big drop, even though the scales haven't moved. I actually hope my visceral fat is going, and fast. Could explain the build-up of hormones. I'm feeling pretty good except for my mood. I'm depressed, down, sick of life. Byt physically I have a lot of energy. It's like my mental state suffers fatigue. I'm very snappy and short too. Makes me a terrific mother these days...!

Comment

• Originally posted by Glamorama View Post

Erin, I enjoyed your TCM-facts. When I started seeing dr Sue 3 years ago, she said my spleen was blocked and stomach damp... The dampness turned out to be candida! She was right, but in a way that wasn't helpful, as I never got rid of the candida with her.

Nutmegs, Im getting my BF% measured again in 2 weeks. I'm half expecting a big drop, even though the scales haven't moved. I actually hope my visceral fat is going, and fast. Could explain the build-up of hormones. I'm feeling pretty good except for my mood. I'm depressed, down, sick of life. Byt physically I have a lot of energy. It's like my mental state suffers fatigue. I'm very snappy and short too. Makes me a terrific mother these days...!
                        Thanks! I think candida results in a damp spleen, whereas damp spleen results in lots of things, but doesn't necessarily cause candida (at least that's my opinion).

I bet it's the liver thing that's making you feel depressed. Liver stuff can totally cause depression and impatience/frustration (as well as emotional PMS), so blame it on your liver
                        I feel like crap today since I lowered my carbs a few days ago. Carb flu, I guess, or maybe CT-induced detox. I woke with a headache and felt wrecked and 2 cups of coffee didn't make a dent (I never have 2 cups- that's a lot for me!)
                        I have a feeling I'm in for a little hormone mayhem with the CT.

On the plus side, cold baths are feeling really nice and soothing. I actually look forward to them! I'm starting to see some body comp shifts- I think I can see some faint ribs- not in a gross way (I always lose fat around my ribcage first). My skin is improving, too.

Comment

• I'm just back from the dr with my results. Dr freaked out a little, as did I.

Female 52, total thyoidectomy, taking 1mgT4 20mcgT3, history of uterine hyperplasia, taking 10mg progesterone. Last menstrual period about 4-5 months ago.

Leptin Rx since November, CT two weeks.

Vitamin D 349nmol/L!!! Range 75-150 So, no more supps, and rechecking in 3months. Was taking 8000IU/day.
                          Vitamin B12 1126pmol/L Not a typo. 1126!! Range 140-650. Been taking B Complex since december. No more!
                          Insulin 6mU/L *fasting, non-obese, normoglycaemic <10
                          Fasting Glucose 4.7mmol/L Range 3.0-5.4
                          Homocysteine 7.0umol/L Range 6.5-11.9

Cholesterol 5.9mmol/L Range <5.5
                          Triglycer. 1.0mmol/L Range <1.7
                          HDLC 1.5mmol/L Range >1.00
                          LDLC 3.9mmol/L Range <3.5
                          LDLC/HDLC 2.6 Ratio <3.5
                          Chol/HDLC 3.9 Ratio <4.5

Iron 11aemol/L Range 9.0-30.4
                          Transferrin 2.3g/L Range 2.0-3.6
                          Ferritin 93 Range 20-50

C-Reac.Prot 16mg/L Range <5

TSH 0.07uU/mL Range 0.35-4.94
                          FT4 15pmol/L Range 9-19
                          FT3 4.8pmol/L Range 2.6-5.7

LH 20.0IU/L Range post menopausal >10
                          FSH 31.0 IU/L Range post meno. >27
                          Estradiol 262pmol/L Range post meno. <100
                          Progesterone 0.6nmol/L Range post meno. <0.6
                          Testosterone <0.7nmol/L Range <2.6
                          SHBG 28nmol/L Range 18-114
                          FAI <2.5 Range 0.4-5.6

Comment

Thanks! I think candida results in a damp spleen, whereas damp spleen results in lots of things, but doesn't necessarily cause candida (at least that's my opinion).

I bet it's the liver thing that's making you feel depressed. Liver stuff can totally cause depression and impatience/frustration (as well as emotional PMS), so blame it on your liver
                            I feel like crap today since I lowered my carbs a few days ago. Carb flu, I guess, or maybe CT-induced detox. I woke with a headache and felt wrecked and 2 cups of coffee didn't make a dent (I never have 2 cups- that's a lot for me!)
                            I have a feeling I'm in for a little hormone mayhem with the CT.

On the plus side, cold baths are feeling really nice and soothing. I actually look forward to them! I'm starting to see some body comp shifts- I think I can see some faint ribs- not in a gross way (I always lose fat around my ribcage first). My skin is improving, too.
                            Thank God I can blame this hideous mood on something other than my brain!! Constantly bickering with DH doesn't help either, but it's all because I'm feeling so grumpy. Impatience and frustration is so totally how I've felt lately. I keep feeling like I'm not moving forward, as I'm sure my posts reflect. Does it take long to fix my liver once I start NAC?

Hormonal mayhem? You bet. More like detox-hell actually. The beautiful thing has been the lovely, deep sleep though. Makes all the other detox-symthomps worthwhile.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coriander View Post
                              I'm just back from the dr with my results. Dr freaked out a little, as did I.

Female 52, total thyoidectomy, taking 1mgT4 20mcgT3, history of uterine hyperplasia, taking 10mg progesterone. Last menstrual period about 4-5 months ago.

Leptin Rx since November, CT two weeks.

Vitamin D 349nmol/L!!! Range 75-150 So, no more supps, and rechecking in 3months. Was taking 8000IU/day.
                              Vitamin B12 1126pmol/L Not a typo. 1126!! Range 140-650. Been taking B Complex since december. No more!
                              Insulin 6mU/L *fasting, non-obese, normoglycaemic <10
                              Fasting Glucose 4.7mmol/L Range 3.0-5.4
                              Homocysteine 7.0umol/L Range 6.5-11.9

Cholesterol 5.9mmol/L Range <5.5
                              Triglycer. 1.0mmol/L Range <1.7
                              HDLC 1.5mmol/L Range >1.00
                              LDLC 3.9mmol/L Range <3.5
                              LDLC/HDLC 2.6 Ratio <3.5
                              Chol/HDLC 3.9 Ratio <4.5

Iron 11aemol/L Range 9.0-30.4
                              Transferrin 2.3g/L Range 2.0-3.6
                              Ferritin 93 Range 20-50

C-Reac.Prot 16mg/L Range <5

TSH 0.07uU/mL Range 0.35-4.94
                              FT4 15pmol/L Range 9-19
                              FT3 4.8pmol/L Range 2.6-5.7

LH 20.0IU/L Range post menopausal >10
                              FSH 31.0 IU/L Range post meno. >27
                              Estradiol 262pmol/L Range post meno. <100
                              Progesterone 0.6nmol/L Range post meno. <0.6
                              Testosterone <0.7nmol/L Range <2.6
                              SHBG 28nmol/L Range 18-114
                              FAI <2.5 Range 0.4-5.6
                              Your B12 is totally fine- the range SHOULD be 550- 1300. US ranges are waaaaay too low! Seriously, if someone had a result of 140, they'd probably start developing neurological symptoms!

Comment

Your B12 is totally fine- the range SHOULD be 550- 1300. US ranges are waaaaay too low! Seriously, if someone had a result of 140, they'd probably start developing neurological symptoms!
                                Are you sure? I'm in Australia, and we use different units of measurement for most things I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X