Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kathylu View Post
    Help! My doc gave me a blank (almost) LabCorp slip and said to take it to them for blood and salivary cortisol tests. She wrote two requests on the slip "cortisol am & pm" (blood test) and "24 hr salivary cortisol". ICD-9 diagnosis is "Addison's disease". Good so far...

I take the slip to LabCorp, they tell me that the doctor needs to specify the times for the am and pm cortisol and that "they don't do salivary cortisol, never heard of it, only urine and blood".

I will fill in the times for blood cortisol...7:30am and 1 pm sound good? Or should the times be different?
    For the 24 hr salivary cortisol, maybe 4 collections at 7am, 12pm, 5 pm, 11 pm? Sound good so far?
    I'll need to get salivette tubes from them and it looks like I'll need to call ahead so they can look it up in the catalog...lol

One interesting point...I noticed that salivary cortisol is only recommended for the diagnosis of Cushing's disease. The "gold standard" for Addison's/adrenal insufficiency seems to be the blood serum test. I wonder if that means my insurance will give me a problem...

My doctor is not sure why we're doing the salivary cortisol, but she is trying to make me happy by ordering it. I'm hoping to educate her on the process as we march along!
    Ask your doc to write two separate scripts.
    One for saliva the other for blood.
    =====================================
    LabCorp
    Salivary Cortisol, MS
    Test Number: 500179 CPT Code: 82533
    eight (8) serial samples
    Salivette tubes (item # 51.1532) and
    specialized patient collection kits
    (item # 38330G)
    255.3 Other corticoadrenal overactivity
    255.8 Other specified disorders of adrenal glands
    255.4 Corticoadrenal insufficiency
    =====================================

You go to them one time, ask for kit.
    You should get two boxes (LabCorp, Salivary Testing Collection and transportation Kit).
    When you will be collecting saliva, at that time you will write collection time.
    Plan to do one sample right at or before getting out of bed
    and the other at the bed time.
    The remaining six salivettes distribute (more or less) evenly.
    Next day deliver the samples at you convenience, best time early afternoon.

Make a chart of results, or post results here (make a picture of report page, attach here).

=======================================

To be happy, you need this blood test, blood drawn on day 3-4 of your menstrual cycle.
    But you have mentioned only the red line.

1 ------- Pregnenolone, Mass Spectrometry Test Number: 140707
    2 ------- 17α-Hydroxyprogesterone by HPLC-MS/MS
    3 ------- Progesterone Test Number: 004317
    4 ------- Cortisol, Free, Serum (Free Cortisol, Serum Cortisol, CBG)
    5 ------- Cortisol, Three Specimens (7:30AM, 12PM, 2:30PM)
    6 ------- Corticosteroid-binding Globulin (CBG), Transcortin
    7 ------- Corticotropin Releasing Hormone (CRH)
    8 ------- Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) Sulfate
    9 ------- DHEA
    10 ------- Androstenedione by RIA
    11 ------- Testosterone, Total, Serum Test Number: 004226
    12 ------- SHBG
    13 ------- Dihydrotestosterone
    14 ------- Androstanediol Glucuronide Test Number: 500881
    15 ------- Estrogens, Total; Test Number: 004549 CPT Code: 82672
    16 ------- Estradiol Free, With Total Estradiol, HPLC/MS-MS Test Number: 500649
    17 ------- Estradiol,*Sensitive 140244*
    18 ------- Estrone, Serum
    19 -------
    20 ------- Renin Activity and Aldosterone
    21 ------- Adrenocorticotropic Hormone (ACTH), Plasma

250.00 Diabetes mellitus without complication type ii or unspecified type not stated as uncontrolled
    255.40 Corticoadrenal insufficiency
    255.80 Other specified disorders of adrenal glands
    783.90 Other symptoms concerning nutrition metabolism and development
    625.3 Dysmenorrhea, Difficult and painful menstruation.
    627.2 Symptomatic menopausal or female climacteric states
    627.9 Unspecified menopausal and postmenopausal disorder

===================================

Cortisol, Three Specimens (7:30AM, 12PM, 2:30PM)

This timing is designed for my local labCorp.
    Likely it will work at your place.

My LabCorp opens at 7AM
    and untill 8AM it takes people on first come first serve basis.
    After 8AM there is a crowd of people who have appointments made ahead of time.

Show up at the place at 6:30AM, you should be first to serve.
    Before they are actually ready for you it will be 7:15 - 7:30,

If you show up (without appointment) at 7AM, you will be served around 10-11AM.

In my place last blood draw they wan 2:30-3PM, but they close at 4PM.

Last edited by JanSz; 02-18-2012, 06:46 PM.
    Leptin For Dummies http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post595567

Comment

• This may not be a very popular question, but how crucial is the cold thermogenesis? I honestly don't know if I can bring myself to take an ice bath!

Comment

• Originally posted by PaleoCowgirl View Post
        Where is the best place to buy seaweed? Best prep methods?
        Your local asian food market in South Dakota...LOL Amazon.com has lots. I eat my Kombu just dry. Crunchy salty. Does not taste fishy...infact if doesn't really taste like anything. It just is. Directions say to soak in water to hydrate til soft, discard the water and eat. Heat up the water.

Comment

• Originally posted by lookingforanswers View Post
          This may not be a very popular question, but how crucial is the cold thermogenesis? I honestly don't know if I can bring myself to take an ice bath!
          Do you want to have optimal health or are you willing to accept a C grade for your health. You decide. Lots of folks are seeing benefits.

Comment

This may not be a very popular question, but how crucial is the cold thermogenesis? I honestly don't know if I can bring myself to take an ice bath!
            You don't have to start out with ice baths. Start with facial immersion in cold water. Dr. K worked his way up to full body immersion/ice baths and so do most.
            I'm doing cold showers (the tap water is really cold right now!) but I still start out with hot water for a few minutes, then I turn it to cool and then all the way to cold. I stay in the cold water for 5 min+ and my skin turns bright pink (I don't put my head under, though!)
            I did one cold bath, but I had a hard time warming up after it, so I'm going to revisit that after I get my omega 3 levels up.
            You can also do ice packs on fatty areas and cold air exposure. There are lots of options
            http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
              Thanks for this... I'm about to shop up big there fir K2 and NAC too, so will throw this into the mix!

Another question: my kelp-capsules contain 30 mg kelp equ 150 mcg iodine. How many caps should I take daily?

WeAreDevo; my leaky gut is near healed. Food allergies near eliminated. Seasonal allergies went when I cut dairy. My real turning point in recovery came when I got rid of candida overgrowth in the gut 5 months into primal eating. I think the candida was the reason I got leaky gut in the first place. 60 + courses of antibiotics in 30 years did that.
              30 mg kelp equ 150 mcg iodine

Max daily dose =50mg

50/0.150=333

But some people take more, up to 100mg/day iodine (twice of the 333--->666)

it does not stay with you if you take too much.

It goes straight to urine.
              =============================
              Last edited by JanSz; 02-18-2012, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
                Ivy.......personal knowledge......if you think I know alot about Optimal........I know more about good wine. Trust me. You would be floored.
                And I used to be a Connoisseur of premium quality box wine....My havingness of wine never rose very high...except in college we had Ripple and Boone's Farm Apple and Peach Wine for $.99 a bottle of 750ml with a screw on top!!

Comment

Wow - you just described me perfectly. Only I'm gaining weight right now which is extremely frustrating. Thanks for posting this though. It was a total light bulb moment for me as well.
                  Glad I could help. That's the beauty of this tread- we all help each other!

Comment

• kkcarlton
                    Anybody? Originally Posted by kkcarlton
                    Is it ok to follow up the cold bath with a warm bath?

Originally posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
                    a good way to screw up a great idea......
                    So, the idea is to warm up naturally.

Even if (at first) it takes 3 hrs to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Groketteliveson View Post
                      Ive been taking my BG levels before and after this cold therapy. It is definitely dropping the BG levels. Tonight it dropped mine by 10 points.

It seems like Im starting to shiver more and quicker every time I start the cold therapy sessions. Don't know why?
                      It's the magic working. I'm the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
                        My acupuncturist is from Shanghai and, although her English is fairly good, I still have a hard time understanding the way she phrases things. She's hilariously blunt, though! She was treating me in my super-fatigued raw vegan days and she's really happy with the progress I've made after I changed my diet. Last time she said to me "Oh, Erin!! You're so pretty now- like a Chinese girl! (whatever that means) You used to be kind of yellow." LOL!! Gee, thanks, Dr. Sheng
                        I have two male friends, one a vegetarian and the other a vegan. Both look sick but they are sure proud of the total cholesterol of 160. Faces look pasty gray and some darkness under the eyes. They are convinced I am going to die tomorrow with my total C in the high 350s. They never heard of sdLDL and fluffy LDL. LOL

Comment

dex I just nearly drowned in my 50 degree bath from laughing......you read my god damned mind. People wonder why they chase tails.......the quality of your thoughts determine your life people!!!!!
                          Logistics.

How do you manage laptop (or is it some kind of tablet),
                          while neck high in cold water with ice.

How do you hold it?
                          How do you type with hands mostly wet.

------

Comment

• Originally posted by JanSz View Post
                            Logistics.

How do you manage laptop (or is it some kind of tablet),
                            while neck high in cold water with ice.

How do you hold it?
                            How do you type with hands mostly wet.

------
                            mac book air on my boat doc.........my hands dont get wet.......I kick my feat to lose thermal energy or I stand on my steps..........
                            Im in water as a I type with a stop watch

Comment

• Originally posted by Dextery View Post
                              I have two male friends, one a vegetarian and the other a vegan. Both look sick but they are sure proud of the total cholesterol of 160. Faces look pasty gray and some darkness under the eyes. They are convinced I am going to die tomorrow with my total C in the high 350s. They never heard of sdLDL and fluffy LDL. LOL
                              Wow, such low cholesterol! I bet they have NO testosterone happening. Luckily, I wasn't vegan for very long... I'd have been even sicker than I already was!
                              It's funny- recently my friend and I had a session with a tai chi teacher that I knew from years ago in my vitamin retail days. My friend went back for a second session and the teacher said to her "Erin looks so much better than she used to. Did she start eating meat or something?" He nailed it
                              I really had no idea how sickly/tired I looked to other people. I've had similar reactions from a lot of acquaintances.
                              http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

thought it would......that glass of wine i had got me to think I need to do more for you down under......but when I come to Australia.......i expect some high quality shiraz......or cab. 1999 Penfolds Grange would be ideal
                                1999 Penfolds Grange Syrah
                                Syrah: 750ml
                                $249.99
                                4 bottles in stock
                                1999 Penfolds Grange Syrah

Comment

Working...
                                X