No announcement yet.

Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just looked at the GAPS food list. It doesn't look as intimidating as I thought it would be. It's time to offer her specific foods, rather than wait until she asks for something. If I can keep her full on the good stuff, she won't miss the bad stuff. Is meal timing an issue with GAPS?

Comment

• Dr. Campbell-McBride suggests waiting until 10am to eat, something about overnight repair continuing until that time. I don't know why. I never paid it any attention and we still had progress, so I don't know. I don't know enough about the science to compare her reasons for timing with Dr. Kruse's, and don't have the time to research it, so I'm just going with what's working for me right now. I think that's the only timing she talks about.
      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• That obviously wouldn't work for her school schedule, but I'm cautiously optimistic that we can at least implement a good portion of this. Time to make some bone broth!

Comment

• I think for those wanting to get their kids into the reset, the best one to start with is the 3 meals/no snacking rule. The world seems ruled by snacks as if we humans will crumble mid morning or mid afternoon without food. Hey I used to buy into that idea and eat 6 small meals. Now that I have cut out snacks it much better. Just a thought....

Comment

• I thought about how I could get my kids to eat more protein in the morning without even telling them what we were doing, and I hit on it for our family - I'm already making sausage for me, and they LOVE sausage for breakfast. So now, after eating their eggs (b/c with our family's dental history, they *need* their pastured eggs every morning), they can have unlimited sausage from our pastured pig. Win all around!

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
              What? No. GAPS is not fruit juice. I don't see juice mentioned on that page. It's just an overview; here are the details: The Diet
              This is where I found that:

3. DETOXIFICATION AND LIFE-STYLE CHANGES

The first and most important thing is to remove the main source of toxicity, which means cleaning up and healing the gut.

Since this alone will not rid the body of years worth of toxic build up in the system, juicing is recommended. Juicing provides very concentrated fruit and vegetable nutrients to the body in an easily absorbed form.

Black Elderberry is also beneficial and has strong immune-stimulating properties and it is one of the most powerful anti-viral remedies known to man.
              Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
              Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
              So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
              Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
              Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

• Mama grok; a family protein breakfast sounds like a win! Can I come round to your house too? Lol

Comment

• With Dr. Kruse telling me to stay at 25 total carbs for the duration, there is no room for fruit of any kind, especially at the beginning, which is what they are saying to do.
                  Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

sigpic

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

• The details of the juicing are on the other pages. She recommends at least 60% vegetables, using only as much fruit as needed to make it palatable, and she prefers using juicing as a whole food source of vitamins to taking multivitamin supplements. It is only to be taken as a drink once (or maybe twice?) daily. The way you described it, I was thinking you had found one of those "nothing but juice" detox diets, lol. Silly me. Per Dr. C-M's words, this diet is to be *primarily* protein, fat, & non-starchy veggies, from whole food sources. I never juiced at all. Most of those I've heard talk about it use 100% veggies to juice.

Many GAPS families are also anti-candida, which means no fruit at all. Some juice; some don't.
                    Last edited by MamaGrok; 07-26-2011, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Into this for 3.5 weeks now and the last 4 days have been filled with hunger. Finally today I am not as hungry. I hope this was some internal change happening that isn't going to return. I do believe I lost a little weight. No scale but my pants are looser. I say that's progress. Any thoughts on the hunger issue? This is the first time since doing it that I was really hungry and way earlier than the norm in the day.

We are having a work pigout today for a lady retiring after 38 years and I am not giving in. Lot's of yummy looking poisonous things and that is how I am looking at it. They can all laugh at me for not participating. I just plain don't care.

Comment

• Originally posted by RSL View Post
                        With Dr. Kruse telling me to stay at 25 total carbs for the duration, there is no room for fruit of any kind, especially at the beginning, which is what they are saying to do.
                        theres no room for fruit while doing a leptin reset. fructose is a cause of leptin resistance....
                        Primal Chaos
                        37yo 6'5"
                        6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                        current 338lbs 49" waist
                        goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

• Dr. K., is there varying degrees of leptin resistance where one might be ok with a few berries a day or a little more exercise (I realize you have to do the self test for exercise) or whatever? Just wondering if some of us are more LR than others and maybe they can't tolerate any variance in the method or is it an all or nothing deal?

I didn't know that "no" fruit was allowed and I have had a few berries every now and then. So, am I starting over? I have seen some progress with weight but that is all. Once again, I'm 5'4" and about 123 or so now. I probably do have exhausted adrenals and that is also probably the root cause of low thyroid. But, this I got from you and it all makes sense. I just hope I haven't really blown 3.5 weeks of this.

Comment

• BREAK THROUGH!!!! So I had lunch at 130pm ... steak, and spinach salad w/ tomatoes and mozzarella cheese... about 5mins ago... I got up to get a treat (we had left over gf-low carb lemon cake from this weekend) and I wanted some...but before I got to the kitchen I said to myself why? I'm not hungry - I don't need this... turned right back around and walked back into my office. yeah it might taste good, but I' m not hungry so why eat. I finally get how DH can actually look at sweets and say -nah, not right now, thanks... what a REVELATION!!!
                            The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
                            What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
                            SW 190lb
                            Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
                            25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                            1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                            GW ~135lbs
                            5'3"
                            Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Shijin13 View Post
                              BREAK THROUGH!!!! So I had lunch at 130pm ... steak, and spinach salad w/ tomatoes and mozzarella cheese... about 5mins ago... I got up to get a treat (we had left over gf-low carb lemon cake from this weekend) and I wanted some...but before I got to the kitchen I said to myself why? I'm not hungry - I don't need this... turned right back around and walked back into my office. yeah it might taste good, but I' m not hungry so why eat. I finally get how DH can actually look at sweets and say -nah, not right now, thanks... what a REVELATION!!!
                              Freedom, right?
                              Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

• Congrats! On cake resistance, Shijin13!

I think one of my main issues that I have to work on surrounding LR and primal in general, is that I can't "self-medicate" with food. I used to just eat for fun! Now I have to deal with my emotions more. Which is a major lifestyle change for me. Hard too.

Comment

Working...
                                X