Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by syl View Post
    if we're not deficient then i think having one brazil nut twice a week is plenty, plus you get more then enought sellenium from 6oz of broiled coho salmon and other fish as well.
    Problem is that todays fish contain a lot of mercury which blocks selenium
    Originally posted by JanSz View Post
    Positions on Iodine use are akin to religius position.

This may clarify that Chris Kresser's position is opposite to dr Brownstein.

Iodine for hypothyroidism: like gasoline on a fire?

Iodine for hypothyroidism: like gasoline on a fire?

Originally posted by natural_girl View Post
    ITA with him on this one...that was my experience as well... your really have to be careful supplementing iodine...this is one supplement that can do harm
    Chris has changed that a bit - he believes you need to be tested first to determine if you have a deficiency before supplementing...then if you need it, he SLOWLY adds it in - waiting weeks before going up in dose...says it can take 6 months to work yourself up to a therapuetic dose

Originally posted by colleencoble View Post
    It sounds like Kessler believes in iodine as long as it's accompanied by selenium too which is of course what Doc says. Preload with selenium then get the iodine. I think I'll go get some Brazil nuts today.
    Yep!

Originally posted by Vkiernan View Post
    Yesterday I was dragging butt, laying on the couch and my hubby got me up to go help bring a truckload of wood up to the house. Then the plan was to start clearing fencelines for the farmer. We managed to get a lot done in 35 degree weather with the sun shining. So, I got my mid-day workout done in the sun and actually felt really good later. I also slept well last night. There is really something to be said about the good ole outdoors with sunshine and fresh air. Now if I could afford to quit my job and play outside everyday....

Oh, and to round off a great day we enjoyed a grass fed porterhouse steak with steamed brocolli and sweet potato!
    Yum!

congrats on a good day! Sunshine and fresh air do wonders! I'm amazed that you talk about moving FURTHER up north though Chicago for me is tough enough - although this winteR (knock on wood) has been great weather-wise

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Kudos on your persistence, Drmommy! I have found in the last three years that the key to EVERYthing is pressing through the challenges. If my brain tells me something should work, and/or I trust the source for a legitimate reason and solid past performance, then I'm going to try to keep tweaking until I make it work for me, rather than blow it off. I can't tell you how much of a difference this has made in my health (and peace of mind and house and soul, etc., lol).

That said, I have no intention of trying a cold bath anytime soon. I'm waiting for all y'all to report back on the mind-blowing benefits you've seen. I did a few cold showers a few years ago as a spiritual practice and found no gain to my body, lol. I'm sure I was doing it all wrong.
    Well said and ditto on the cold baths - I want to hear about everyone's amazing results first

Originally posted by Vkiernan View Post
    I just realized I have a couple more signs. I am able to go from lunch (noon) til 7 at least for dinner and am not cranky. This has been going on for about a month or so now. The other thing is getting warm when I eat. I have never had that. I sort of eat in between the lr & ls protocal. Since I have some low t3 to deal with and some hormone issues, I really don't know which way I should be eating. About a month ago, I slowed way back on the BAB natually and could go to lunch with no probs. I have also cut back at lunch and dinner. Just sort of happened on it's own. Last night while eating, I just stopped and decided I had enough even though full signal wasn't letting me know. I didn't even eat a third of my steak. That is strange for me too. I really buckled down on my BAB though in regard to timing and I have recently been upping the CO. Things must still be working slowly but surely.
    Me too - I felt good - yesterday was the super bowl..Iwas surrounded by yummy - primal - food but was able to stop and not even finish my plate. That is amazing! Doesnt always happen but I'm headed in the right direction... good for you!

Comment

• Originally posted by wanderir View Post
      I ate 3-4k of calories for the first 7-9 weeks. 3 meals, lots of food! But I was loosing weight and inches. Then one day, I just wasn't hungry at lunch. Don't skip lunch if you are hungry for it. If you aren't hungry you'll be much less likely to cheat.
      I eat very little for lunch yet I am gaining weight already.
      Started Atkins:: 1996
      Started Paleo: 2003
      Illness Started: 2008
      Started Leptin Reset: 01.10.2012
      Thighs Starting Size: 54.8 cm
      Thighs Goal Size: 53.5 cm
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46986.html

Comment

• Originally posted by kkcarlton View Post

Dr. K said I would need to clear the biotoxins before I can get LS and then loose weight. Those that have biotoxins gain weight easily.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freshveggies View Post
          Dr. K said I would need to clear the biotoxins before I can get LS and then loose weight. Those that have biotoxins gain weight easily.
          How are you doing that?

Comment

I would stop any training if you plan on going all out with the LR. I was way into the gym, but stopped going for a good while and felt it was beneficial. Also, are you underweight to begin with? Your pic looks quite slim, some people here have gained before losing. Also, cutting back on meal size in the beginning makes it much harder to be happy on the protocol. When I shifted my focus from weight loss (original reason for foray into primal etc) on the reset to fueling my body with what it needed, then later dropping the weight, it was a lot easier to eat without thinking "I am eating too much to lose weight."
            Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
            Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
            Starting Weight: 174.8
            CW:160.0 lbs

Comment

How are you doing that?
              I had my testing last week Wed and then I started Cholestyramine. My brain is feeling more clear. I am taking a very small dose, 1/2 scoop 1x day. A person can work up to a full scoop 3x day. I tried 2--- 1/2 scoops servings yesterday and got too spacey. I am not sure how long the tests take to get back, but I will post what I find out. I actually slept for 6 hours last night and it was so nice to finally sleep. The hormones are helping.

Comment

• Originally posted by L8F View Post
                I would stop any training if you plan on going all out with the LR. I was way into the gym, but stopped going for a good while and felt it was beneficial. Also, are you underweight to begin with? Your pic looks quite slim, some people here have gained before losing. Also, cutting back on meal size in the beginning makes it much harder to be happy on the protocol. When I shifted my focus from weight loss (original reason for foray into primal etc) on the reset to fueling my body with what it needed, then later dropping the weight, it was a lot easier to eat without thinking "I am eating too much to lose weight."
                I don't have the energy to work out. My weight is normal for my height. That picture is from roughly 2005 and from a time when I felt goog - it's sort of an inspiration or goal to look at it I guess because I want to feel that good again. Good points on the focus. Wish I could let go of the fear of weight gain.

Originally posted by Freshveggies View Post
                I had my testing last week Wed and then I started Cholestyramine. My brain is feeling more clear. I am taking a very small dose, 1/2 scoop 1x day. A person can work up to a full scoop 3x day. I tried 2--- 1/2 scoops servings yesterday and got too spacey. I am not sure how long the tests take to get back, but I will post what I find out. I actually slept for 6 hours last night and it was so nice to finally sleep. The hormones are helping.
                Thanks....I have a phone appointment with my doc on Thursday. I will ask her about it.

Comment

• I ate carnitas for dinner. That's all. My head is spinning. Why?

Ingredients:
                  pork shoulder
                  chicken broth
                  garlicky lamb fat
                  salt, pepper, cumin, Italian herbs,
                  Simmered with cinnamon sticks & bay leaves. I ate a small chunk of one of the very carnita-crusty cinnamon sticks after it was simmered for 4hrs.

Suspects? Pulse isn't up, blood sugar is 88 about 45m later.

Not enough fat with too much protein? ?? I've never had this feeling before when I haven't had carbs. And strangely, this isn't the first time I've had it with a low blood sugar reading.
                  5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                  Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                  Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                  Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                  ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

I don't have the energy to work out. My weight is normal for my height. That picture is from roughly 2005 and from a time when I felt goog - it's sort of an inspiration or goal to look at it I guess because I want to feel that good again. Good points on the focus. Wish I could let go of the fear of weight gain.
                    I had 25 lbs of fat to loose when I started. I wouldn't worry about weight gain unless it gets crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by wanderir View Post
                      I had 25 lbs of fat to loose when I started. I wouldn't worry about weight gain unless it gets crazy.
                      God how I wish I could not worry about weight gain. I am working on it. I am not sure how much fat I have to lose and how much muscle I have to gain. After my fast last year I was at 128 lbs and was roughly the same size as I was at 136ish lbs before I got sick.

Comment

• Any thoughts on what's going on here?

I've been doing the LR for about 6 weeks now and have had some improvement in sweating/actually feeling full after a meal, but my sleep hasn't really improved at all. I also think I'm still dealing with low blood sugar issues as I tend to get nauseous before I actually feel hungry. Once I eat, the nausea goes away, so I'm pretty sure it's a blood sugar thing. I am going 5-6 hours between meals, which is better than what I was doing pre-LR though.

My main problem is carb intolerance. I am staying below the suggested 50 gm/day since I don't have 30 lbs to lose, but I find any time I creep up even slightly over the 50 gm I gain weight INSTANTLY - always around my abdomen/hips/thighs.

I had someone suggest in the past I had a gut infection causing this, but I've had 2 stool tests done in the last 5 months and neither showed anything major going on. I have a lack of good bacteria, but nothing harmful/no overgrowth according to the tests. Do you think this is just a hormonal thing? I'm pretty sure I've got some estrogen dominance going on and I tried progesterone cream in the past, but it also made me gain. If it is hormonal will the LR protocol "fix" it?

Comment

• Originally posted by JanSz View Post
                          Vitamin B12 591 pmol/L=800pg/mL --->supplement, aim for slightly over 1000
                          RBC Folate 1546 nmol/L(1060-2850) ----->>supplement with folic acid, in case that does not help, use FolaPro from Metagenics
                          Glucose Fasting 5.5 mmol/L=99mg/dL ------->check fasting insulin

Blood tests for hormone levels taken Day 11 in menstrual cycle. Follicular phase.

Testosterone 0.8 nmol/L (.4-2.7)=23ng/dL (12- 78) Testosterone ng/dl 0.0347 nmol/l
                          FSH 6.5 IU/L (2.5-10)
                          LH 4.9 IU/L (<15)
                          Oestradiol 165 pmol/L (70-530)= 44.9 pg/mL (19-45) Estradiol pg/ml 3.671 pmol/l
                          Progesterone 0.8 nmol/L (<5)=0.3 ng/mL (1.6 ) Progesterone ng/ml 3.18 nmol/l
                          DHEA-sulphate 2.3 umol/L----I have a problem convertig units, still assume you want your value at high end

When you take together all major steroid hormones, in the serum, by weght, and call it 100%
                          DHEAs part takes 95%
                          DHEAs is very important
                          your DHEAs is low
                          Everybody's DHEAs (and most other hormones are going down as we age)
                          therefore laboratory ranges account for age (to make you feel better)
                          that is cheating
                          you want hormones as young 20yo healthy girl have
                          you want
                          DHEAsWomen (275-400) μg/dL

read more about it here:
                          DHEA Restoration Therapy Hormone Replacement Therapy
                          DHEA Restoration Therapy - Hormone Replacement Therapy, DHEA, 7-Keto - Life Extension Health Concern

while you are at it, read:
                          Homocysteine Reduction
                          Homocysteine Reduction - Homocysteine, Homocysteine Levels - Life Extension Health Concern
                          Female Hormone Restoration
                          Female Hormone Restoration: Online References For Health Concerns

Data From above reference:
                          note that they do not talk much about preg/E balance
                          and specially
                          that you can get progesterone when you make sure that you have pregnenolone (first)

Hormone Optimal Range
                          DHEA-s: 250-380 g/dL
                          --------------
                          Total estrogen:
                          Day (01 – 10)----------------- (61 – 394) pg/mL
                          Day (11 – 20)----------------- (122 – 437) pg/mL
                          Day (21 – 30)----------------- (156 – 350) pg/mL

Menopause & post-menopause: (75 – 200) pg/mL
                          -------------
                          Estradiol: Lowest dose to ameliorate symptoms: 30-50 pg/mL

Typical replacement such as with a BiEst cream/gel: 80-100 pg/mL

Higher end replacement/ restoration of menstrual cycle: 90-250pg/mL
                          --------------
                          Progesterone: (18 to 28) ng/mL (pre-menopause);

2 to 6 ng/mL, but even up to 15 for some women, especially if they are treated with higher doses of estrogen replacement (menopause & post-menopause)
                          --------------
                          Total testosterone: 35-45ng/dL
                          Freetestosterone: 1 – 2.2 pg/mL

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
                          ================================================== ===========
                          Summarizing
                          on day 11 you have
                          Testosterone =23ng/dL (12-78) either good or should be increased (do not hurry, you should get some from DHEA supplementation
                          Oestradiol =44.9pg/mL
                          Progesterone =0.3 ng/mL-----you want at least men's levels (1.4), often little more
                          DHEA-sulphate 2.3 umol/L----I have a problem convertig units, still assume you want your value at high end

-----------------------------------------------------

You should get your pregnenolone tested, I am sure that it will be very low.

You would then concentrate on correcting your hormones on day 3-4 first.
                          You would attempt making best use out of
                          pregnenolone
                          DHEA
                          7ketoDHEA
                          and
                          delay doctors attempts to use progesterone.

I am not a doctor.
                          I am a men who started with non-detectable levels of pregnenolone and progesterone.
                          I know that it is possible to raise progesterone using pregnenolone pills.
                          You getting the benefit of
                          more natural hormone distribution
                          not worrying about what day of menstrual cycle you are on. The dosing is steady for all days in the cycle.

I use
                          Nutricology/ Allergy Research Group Pregnenolone Micronized Lipid Matrix 150 mg Micronized Lipid Matrix 60

and DHEA and 7ketoDHEA pills from lef.org

There is few more details, if interested we can discuss it latter.

I placed this post also here:
                          so I and you could find it easier;

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post679482

///

////

An update.
                          I got a new doctor. He prescribed desiccated thyroid,130mg, And DHEA 25mg. One of each a day.
                          I was on them for two weeks before I did these tests. Anyone care to have a look?

Salivary Hormone Test Results Day 21

Oestrone (E1). **********8pmol/L. **Reference range (2-9)
                          Oestrone (E1). *************73%
                          oestradiol (E2). *********2pmol/L. ***Reference range (2-10)
                          Oestradiol (E2). **********18%
                          Oestriol (E3). ***************<1. *************Reference range (<112)
                          Oestriol (E3). **************9%
                          E3/ (E1+E2). **************0.1 ***********Reference range ( >1.0)
                          Progesterone (P4). ******746. ******Reference range (315-1058)
                          P4:E2. *************************373. ********Reference range (200-300:1)
                          Testosterone ***************216. ********Reference range (24-137)
                          DHEA-S **********************8.1. **********Reference range (0.7-8.7)

Cortisol
                          7am **************14 Target range (25)
                          Midday. **********6 Target range (15)
                          6pm *************<5 Target range (5-10)
                          10pm. ***********<5 Target range (<5)

Serum test day 12 Two weeks on DHEA Saliva test Day 21
                          DHEA 2.3(1.8-7.8). Umol/L 8.1(0.7-8.7) nmol/L.
                          Oestradiol(e2). 165(70-530). Pmol/L 2(2-10) pmol/L
                          Progesterone. 0.8(<5) nmol/L. 746(315-1058)pmol/L
                          Testosterone. 0.8(0.4-2.7)nmol/L. 216(24-137)pmol/L

How to I convert the measurements so I can compare them?
                          Last edited by IrishAussie; 02-06-2012, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrMommyN View Post
                            I'm sure Dr Kruse will beat me up, but very low carbs and low calories cause T3 to decrease.
                            Thyroid needs cortisol, so low morning cortisol figures into it, too.
                            you will like the update coming then to the Leptin Rx.....cause its not true.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrMommyN View Post
                              Well, I asked and "J" asked, so we'll see. I've notice his lack of answer is often part of the plan.
                              its complicated.........but when you bio hack someone for real it gets pretty intense because you have all aspects of the persons angles

Comment

• Originally posted by Shijin13 View Post
                                How to fix cortisol levels start here: WHAT CASEY ANTHONY AND OJ HAVE IN COMMON, ADRENAL FATIGUE RECOVERY - Jack Kruse
                                Dr K talks about treatment for cortisol at the end of this blog!
                                Then get your salivary cortisol checked.

Here's what I did for my reversed cortisol (low in the am, High at night - basically backward circadian rhythm), so ppl have different issues which is why its important to see what your cortisol is doing w/the salivary tests

dropped coffee, added in green tea, I took apex energetics adaptocrine, maca, ltheanine, rohodila, bcomplex, vitamin c, phosphatidylserine, and 1 tsp of celtic sea salt every day. Focused on the LR meal timing, make sure you eat 3x/day, BAB, no working out - only walked the dog, tried to get as much sunlight during the day as possible (stopped wearing sunglasses ect), tried to be in bed by 1030 at the latest... I did this from Sept - Jan... just re-tested waiting for my results... hope to get them soon! I can tell my cortisol is fixed - I wake up w/o problems no alarm clock at 630 ready to go (even w/a 5am wake up for nursing for ds) I do my best every day to get sun in my eyes first thing...even if its only through the windows while eating bkfst...

W/in 6wks of focusing on my cortisol - I suddenly had a 10lb weight loss... I didn't start skipping lunch until recently - end of december - I don't try to skip - if it happens it does...if it doesn't it doesn't... focus on the meal timing, direct sunlight, and the adaptocrines...
                                sunlight and cold thermogenesis are biggies

Comment

Working...
                                X