Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wanderir View Post
    We buy all our coconut milk via Costco. Great price, always in stock.
    Which brand do you buy? I am not close to a Costco to make it worthwhile at present. I've been scouring the internet to find someone who might've done a comparison on canned coconut milk (i.e., water content v. cream content, thickness, etc.), and haven't really found anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huck View Post
      I am going to try replacing some of my supplements with real food. I am low in most minerals so am going to order smoked oysters for zinc and Brazil nuts for selenium. What other foods are high in minerals that I could order from Amazon? What brand cacao nibs do you recommend?
      I signed up for these last month...scheduled to have them delivered ever 6mths...http://www.amazon.com/Navitas-Natura...125885&sr=1-15
      The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
      What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
      SW 190lb
      Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
      25 Sep 2011 160lbs
      1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
      GW ~135lbs
      5'3"
      Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Huck View Post
        I am going to try replacing some of my supplements with real food. I am low in most minerals so am going to order smoked oysters for zinc and Brazil nuts for selenium. What other foods are high in minerals that I could order from Amazon? What brand cacao nibs do you recommend?
        Trader Joes store is where I get my Brazil Nuts. And I get my maca and cacao nibs from NutsOnline, now Nuts.com | Premium Bulk & Wholesale Nuts, Dried Fruits & Gift Baskets

Huck, you have not mentioned your headaches except after dropping all your supplements after 5 days. Any progress?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shijin13 View Post
          I signed up for these last month...scheduled to have them delivered ever 6mths...Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Chocolate Nibs Mayan Superfood, 10 Pound Bag: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
          Good. I had 2 lbs of those on my wish list, but personal recommendation sure helps.
          63 yo male
          Started reset Nov, 2011
          SW: 291
          CW: 230

Comment

• Originally posted by Grizz View Post
            Huck,
            Amazon has a great selection of seaweed, seaweed snacks. Dr. Kruse recommends 3 servings of seaweed each week, that provides required iodine & many minerals, too. I just ordered $100 worth on Monday.

Grizz
            OK, I ordered some. I can't believe I'm spending money on seaweed!
            63 yo male
            Started reset Nov, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Patty Cakes View Post
              Is your milk thistle "seed"? How much are you taking?

I heard that was supposed to be the best to use. I have a seed meal MT that I have been using for two months and my rT3 ratio increased from 14.3 to 16. I think I may increase the dose. The bottle states that you can take up to 12 pills a day and I have only been taking two (600 mg).
              I'm taking the Jarrow forumula Standardized Silymarin Extract 30:1
              I take 450 mg twice per day... I am waiting to see what it does for the rT3 number and may up mine as well.

You can view the supplement info on the label at this link:
              Milk Thistle 150 mg 200 Capsules by Jarrow Formulas
              And of course, with the birth of the artist came the inevitable afterbirth - the critic - Mel Brooks

My Journal

Comment

• I am eating 3 brazil nuts a day to get that in too Thank you for the link... I need to start really keeping track of why I take what
                And of course, with the birth of the artist came the inevitable afterbirth - the critic - Mel Brooks

My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by DrMommyN View Post
                  Reposting this.

Dr Kruse: Does that apply conversely? If I had no trouble eating a 75 gr BAB right from the gate without satiety, does that imply I cannot "rewire" this way?

I'm rather stubborn once I set my mind to something (so not giving up), but I've been surprised I haven't done better on the Leptin Reset. That is why I asked on your blog about what happens when my mother had chronic insomnia and stress while pregnant with me. Is there yet another way to rewire?
                  you can do it with fat.......but that requires a doctor supervision......so I dont talk about it on the internet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dextery View Post
                    Trader Joes store is where I get my Brazil Nuts. And I get my maca and cacao nibs from NutsOnline, now Nuts.com | Premium Bulk & Wholesale Nuts, Dried Fruits & Gift Baskets

Huck, you have not mentioned your headaches except after dropping all your supplements after 5 days. Any progress?
                    Thanks Dex. I'm going to order from Amazon this time just because I have something else I am buying there. After I see what I like, I will shop for price.

Stopping the supplements didn't make any difference. I'm pretty sure the medication I am taking for blood pressure is causing the headaches, fatigue, and the wild swings in bp. I am trying to wean off of it and on to a different type. When I looked up how to wean off the clonidine, I found horror stories from others who had bad headaches and extreme fatigue from using it and great difficulty getting off of it. If you get off too fast it can cause rebound high blood pressure, anxiety, heart palpitations, etc. If I had known this I never would have taken it in the 1st place.

Evidently my doc didn't know about these side effects. My bp was dangerously high from taking hc and she knew clonidine would bring it down quickly, which it did. It's just been 4 months of hell being on it.
                    Last edited by Huck; 02-01-2012, 01:33 PM.
                    63 yo male
                    Started reset Nov, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Vkiernan View Post
                      You have mentioned this before. My ldl is high. My t3 is still at the bottom. Once I finally get my thyroid meds regulated (been working on it since May), might that help the ldl?
                      no question......it is the source of your LDL problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snauzoo View Post
                        Tell them not ask, tell them to use a butterfly.
                        Some of them are not any good at this. I uses to put in pre op large bore IVs in very old, very bad veined people. I'd go get an anesthesiologist if I could not get it in. Find some one with acute care lab experience. The techs in hospitals are just way better. It comes with doing it over and over and over. I never has the luxury of having patients in critical care put on clothes and flail their arms. But... A warm compress for a while helps tons. Learned that from the chemo nurses. Chemo pts are worst sticks. So you can ask for someone who has done draws for chemo patients. Good luck. If someone hurts you or leaves a huge bruise, complain. There is no excuse for incompetence.
                        I love this advice.!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by nuttmegs17 View Post
                          I have to do a Methylation Pathway panel for Chris Kressor...its tests

glutathione (oxidized)
                          glutathione (reduced)
                          S-adenosyl-methionine (RBC)
                          Tetrahydrofolate (THF)
                          5-methyl-THF
                          10-FORMYL-THF
                          5-formyl-THF
                          folic acid
                          folinic acid
                          folic acid (RBC)
                          ADENOSINE

I have no clue what half of them are for BUT my prob is finding a lab who will use the kit that was sent. I called the people who sent the lab and they dont keep a list

I know with spectracell they had an online lab locator (saving that one for later, wil be helpful to see if what I am doing to up glutathione is working!)

Has anyone run into this before? Are hospitals generally pretty open in allowing people to draw blood for a fee?

Thanks!
                          Adenosine is the signal that ties leptin to circadian biology........just sharing some more unknown ties.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isabell View Post
                            I am eating 3 brazil nuts a day to get that in too Thank you for the link... I need to start really keeping track of why I take what
                            I made a spreadsheet to give to doc's nurse that had all my supplements and dosage. Then I added a column for benefits and another column for foods that could be used instead of supplements. We need a public version that anyone can use instead of reinventing the wheel.

Mine is actually a write document and not a spreadsheet.
                            63 yo male
                            Started reset Nov, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by wanderir View Post
                              Riddle me this. Everything I've read and researched about cholesterol and diet says that for most people there is no link between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol. That HDL should go up and that triglycerides should go down while eating Paleo.

So why has my total cholesterol shot up to 299 on 1/18 when it was 189 a year ago. (I get that total cholesterol itself is not of much use). Why have my triglycerides gone up to 117 from 99 and why has my HDL gone down from 64 to 55. All in the past year.

I've been eating Paleo since 9/17. On the upside, my ratios are pretty good and so is my LDL particle size. I just don't get why these other numbers are going in the wrong direction and my PCP is going to freak when I see him.
                              So, one possibility is, if you had your last test 12 months ago, but only went primal 4 months ago, that your diet between the last test and primal was really carb-y and sent your trigs way high and HDL way low, and they've been recovering ever since, and will be great soon. That's the optimistic version.

Another is that you've been having carbs and/or omega6's, veg oils, whatever, more often than "never" and your labs are showing it. That's the pessimistic version.

What's the realistic version? I don't know. Your HDL should go down and your triglycerides should go up, and LDL could go any number of directions, depending on your hormonal status, diet, family history, & heart state, but as we're learning more and more, the "higher LDL = higher heart risk" mantra is proving less and less reliable.

Originally posted by youthfuliz View Post
                              Thanks Mamagrok! Glad to know that it's just ketosis related and will pass.
                              Well, it *might* be just ketosis related, and even if it is, you still need to keep an eye on it and consider mentioning it to your doctor. Taubes talks about this being one reason to be under a doctor's care as you make the transition into a ketosis-inducing carb level. I don't know what the possible "worst case scenarios" are, but most of the time it is harmless and passes quickly, and can be aided with sufficient electrolytes.

Originally posted by Huck View Post
                              Hmm, smoked oysters, good idea. I hate low quality oysters and don't know how to find high quality ones. Just like salmon for me. But smoking it kind of cures all ills ... just like with salmon.
                              5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                              Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                              Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                              Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                              ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Originally posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
                                I hope I am not stepping on any toes here but I want everyone to know that L8f is a paleo doc in training. She is making a great effort to become one of the people who will eventually be able to help all of you. I spoke to her for about an hour and she seems committed to doing this and its clear she has fully embraced that she can learn from anyplace and from anyone to get to optimal. This is a very brave and commendable thing for her to do. And I need her help.......and so will you all. This is the essence of the new healthcare platform. Self organizing and following fractal growth. This pleases me more than you can imagine.
                                That is awesome! Sometimes I think about going into midwives training after I get well again and can connect thoughts in complex and meaningful ways. It's a two year program. I'm really a bit too old to go to medical school. But midwives get prescription privileges and it would be a wonderful to reach women when they are most interested in doing whatever they can to have healthy babies... and catch two generations in the true healthy blueprint at once (plus everyone they share with) think of how many people they chat up during their pregnancy within their circle of friends and family.

My Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X