Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RSL View Post
    Wow! You are telling my story! Every time someone around here tells me that Grok did not limit his food but just ate until he was full, I feel like I'm going to scream! It's nice to know that I am not alone in the world!

And you know what I think? I think Grok knew that there might not be another meal for awhile, and he did not stop eating when he was full. I'll bet he stopped eating either a) when all the food at hand was gone or b) when he felt like he would throw up if he ate another bite, whichever came first!
    RSL I commented about this earlier - IMO I think ppl who are LR - the switch isn't functioning properly. 7 wks in to the LR I'm now noticing that I'm still hungry after my 50g of protein in the am 30-40mins after I eat...but almost 1hr later I'm no longer hungry. I think the signaling is starting to turn on...its just taking a while for the brain-gut synapses to relay the message. right now I feel stuffed and its almost 1&1/2hrs after I finished bkfst.

Dr K - when LS - does the "full signal" turn on earlier, - ie closer to completion of the meal? for me I don't get that full feeling until 1hr to 1&1/2hrs after finishing...
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

• Originally posted by DFH View Post
      We have a problem with fit people declaring what works for them must work for everyone, because they never experienced these problems.
      +1, Steve!
      Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
      Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
      So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
      Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
      Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobirdy View Post
        I think the reason I am so interested is that not only do I see these "experts" spouting a bunch of crap, when I know in my n=1 that what they say doesn't work.
        +1
        Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

sigpic

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

• Originally posted by MollyMoo View Post
          Belforte - I can't explain the sore throat as I'm no doctor, however, from my own experience of cutting sugar/junk/processed foods and going low carb, I haven't had as much as a sniffle in 2 years. I hear that bacteria feed on sugar, cut that and it's sources, and you cut off its food supply
          I have had no sugar for two years, I eat paleo and I take supplements and BHRT. I still get sick, really bad, at least once a year, and it takes a long time to get well, and I have relapses.

Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
            I have not had one single iota of a sore throat since stating the reset. Maybe that's due to being primal since January and supplementing Vit D3 since March.

Yesterday, I ate breakfast at 9:30AM and didn't eat again until dinner at 6:30PM. I literally had no desire to eat until then. The same thing happened Saturday as well. Today, I plan on seeing how I do without coffee. Will have a cup or 2 of green tea at work instead. Also a pair of jean shorts that have been a bit tight in recent history are now loose.
            That's wonderful! I know how good that makes you feel!
            Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Shijin13 View Post
              RSL I commented about this earlier - IMO I think ppl who are LR - the switch isn't functioning properly. 7 wks in to the LR I'm now noticing that I'm still hungry after my 50g of protein in the am 30-40mins after I eat...but almost 1hr later I'm no longer hungry. I think the signaling is starting to turn on...its just taking a while for the brain-gut synapses to relay the message. right now I feel stuffed and its almost 1&1/2hrs after I finished bkfst.

Dr K - when LS - does the "full signal" turn on earlier, - ie closer to completion of the meal? for me I don't get that full feeling until 1hr to 1&1/2hrs after finishing...
              I'm curious about that, too. People will say that you don't "feel" full until 20 minutes after you eat. That has not been my experience.

Although, I must say, that since I started the reset two week ago, I don't have a "feeling" one way or another about when to stop eating. I decide what to eat, based on my needs, and when it is gone, I stop eating. I don't load up my plate and then eat until I feel full. If it is on my plate, I would probably just keep eating it. Or if I made more food than I needed, I would probably just go back and get a second helping.

Last night is a good example. Bill and I had the Everyday Paleo recipe "Seafood Enchiladas" and I made just enough for one serving for each of us. When it was gone, I thought, "That was so tasty! I wish there was more!" But there was no more, and a few minutes after eating my serving, I stopped thinking about it. It wasn't so much that I was still hungry, or that I stopped because I was full. There just wasn't any more, and I had eaten a normal sized portion, and that's that.
              Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

I have had no sugar for two years, I eat paleo and I take supplements and BHRT. I still get sick, really bad, at least once a year, and it takes a long time to get well, and I have relapses.

I was interviewed on the Jimmy Moore show last summer, and I was so excited to tell him how well I've been since going paleo/primal, especially with all the supplements I take. The morning of the interview, I woke up with a horrible sore throat and was coughing all the way through the interview.

grrr
                Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Since I made changes, chronic sinusitis went away, and so did joint pain when I wake up, and I used to be sore all over (part of that was probably because I was huge).

I read all the time about people making improvements on the anti-Candita diet, which sounds Primal/LC to me (no sugar). Those people think they killed off Candita, but I'm not so sure. Maybe they just cut the carbs and got better.

Comment

• honeypig-
                    Re: your post on the previous page-

I wouldn't worry too much about being 1 hr off on the eat 3hrs before you sleep rule. Just do the best you can.

I would be thinking about adrenals and adrenal fatigue, and get the heck off of that Synthroid!

If you have to switch to an endo that knows something about rT3, T3, adrenals, cortisol, and natural hormones, just do it.

I think the leptin reset and Primal are the right choice. Will they undo the problems? Hard to say. All that adrenal stress due to chronic cardio may take a long time to undo. Exercising hard when you are hypo complicates things. You can improve your endurance and think that you did some good, but inside, the fatigue catches up with you.

Also, put high priority on good sleep. Look into melatonin at bedtime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shijin13 View Post
                      Dr K -- Got a question for you... Since Leptin resistance is a "Brain" disorder - how is LR/LS related to Migraines, Bipolar disorder, and epilepsy? my neuro at the VA told me that he sees patients who has 1 or more of those disease b/c they "originate" in the same region in the brain and all have a relationship with serotonin levels. Obviously, If you are having problems w/serotonin levels - theres most likely a short circuit in Leptin - right? I have both migraines and bipolar disorder -my neuro took me off all meds I was on for treatment of both disorders b/c I had a sever metabolic/chemical response to the drugs (depakote & topamax for prevention/management of the diseases - I never could take triptans - they always made my migraines worse) & he sent me to an Atlas Orthogonal Chiropractor for adjustments - he's found more success treating patients when they're in alignment and he doesn't have to give them drugs to manage the illness

I know I'm pre-disposed to migraines b/c my dad has had them his whole life. I had my first migraine at 10. Is it possible there's something I did - via diet,trauma (car crash, falling off a horse) etc when I was younger that turned on the switch that led me to having them - could I have been slowly burning my leptin sensitivity away - and the first onset of the migraines - was an indicator I was on the wrong path?

I'd love to set my kids up for avoiding some of the issues I have...
                      You have to keep reading the blog......those are topics that will be added to the quilt. The migraines are a big issue with serotonin and estrogen imbalance due to lowered progesterone

Comment

I'm curious about that, too. People will say that you don't "feel" full until 20 minutes after you eat. That has not been my experience.

Although, I must say, that since I started the reset two week ago, I don't have a "feeling" one way or another about when to stop eating. I decide what to eat, based on my needs, and when it is gone, I stop eating. I don't load up my plate and then eat until I feel full. If it is on my plate, I would probably just keep eating it. Or if I made more food than I needed, I would probably just go back and get a second helping.

Last night is a good example. Bill and I had the Everyday Paleo recipe "Seafood Enchiladas" and I made just enough for one serving for each of us. When it was gone, I thought, "That was so tasty! I wish there was more!" But there was no more, and a few minutes after eating my serving, I stopped thinking about it. It wasn't so much that I was still hungry, or that I stopped because I was full. There just wasn't any more, and I had eaten a normal sized portion, and that's that.
                        That is the incretin gherlin at work.....it works properly when youre leptin sensitive and NYY is working in unison with the hypocretin neurons

Comment

• I think I am done with this for the time being. I cannot seem to get it right so I am spinning my wheels in mud just getting dirty. I fall off at least once a week. I want to run so bad and tying myself to this program feels forced and is bringing up lots of the old being a failure issues for me. I had thought to just give myself a break over the "indiscretions" then I read Dr. Kruse's post about getting your thinking right. I don't want to give up running any longer. Especially if every slip up adds on 2 ore weeks to a process I a unable to for whatever reason complete. I' going back to 80/20 and if it doesn't work I will rethink doing this in 2012. I have done enguh great things this year to let this thing make e feel bad. God luck everyone!
                          My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70684.html

Comment

• Originally posted by natural_girl View Post
                            Georgette,
                            Where you having recuring sore throats before? Unfortunately eating primal for the last year and supplementing with D3 for the last 2-3 years has not been enough for me.

Good luck without the coffee. I love the taste and smell of it, so I don't think I could give mine up in the morning.

Congratulations on the shorts! That is such a great feeling isn't it?!
                            I used to be one chronic allergy/sinus infection/sore throat sufferer. What used to be a major allergy attack is now a mild one. I have not had a sinus infection since March, when by now, I'd be on the 3rd or 4th sinus infection. I also haven't had a sore throat since March as well. I haven't had any illnesses yet, knock on wood.

Coffee tastes funny to me now so I'm not sure if that's part of the reset or not. Maybe Dr. K could elaborate on whether change in tastes is part of the reset.

The shorts made me happy. I would love to be fully wearing a sz 14 by the end of August.
                            Georgette

Comment

• as i mentioned earlier in this thread i was suffering from a bit of bronchitis with sinus problems as well. i went to the doctor and was prescibed antibiotics for the sinus infection. i was told by a few people on here the antibiotics wouldnt help at all with the infection. i took the AB for 5 days and i now feel much better. HOWEVER, at the same time i started taking the AB i also started taking a 5000iu vitamin D supplement. im pretty curious whether it was the vitd or the antibiotics that actually made me feel better. i know my mood has been quite a bit better since starting the vit d
                              Primal Chaos
                              37yo 6'5"
                              6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                              current 338lbs 49" waist
                              goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

• Originally posted by Kymma View Post
                                I think I am done with this for the time being. I cannot seem to get it right so I am spinning my wheels in mud just getting dirty. I fall off at least once a week. I want to run so bad and tying myself to this program feels forced and is bringing up lots of the old being a failure issues for me. I had thought to just give myself a break over the "indiscretions" then I read Dr. Kruse's post about getting your thinking right. I don't want to give up running any longer. Especially if every slip up adds on 2 ore weeks to a process I a unable to for whatever reason complete. I' going back to 80/20 and if it doesn't work I will rethink doing this in 2012. I have done enguh great things this year to let this thing make e feel bad. God luck everyone!
                                you should consider instead of going 80/20 to actually try for 100% i believe striving for 80/20 just sets you up for failure. 80/20 soon leads to 70/30 then 60/40 and so on
                                Primal Chaos
                                37yo 6'5"
                                6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                                current 338lbs 49" waist
                                goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Working...
                                X