No announcement yet.

Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you think you are LR, why all the exercise?

Comment

• DrK, I think I am beginning to understand the obsession. It's frustrating when you try to get help for these people and no one will help them. BTW, folks, I am VERY interested in this whole process, not just whether it works or not. Hey, who couldn't use another PhD??? I think the reason I am so interested is that not only do I see these "experts" spouting a bunch of crap, when I know in my n=1 that what they say doesn't work.
      Folks, I do not think that the issue is satiety from all the protein. Many of us here trying this plan know that that satiety theory has been a joke. Before, when I would eat a huge breakfast, I still wanted a coffee and bagel a few hours later.

Comment

• Originally posted by natural_girl View Post
        However, I have yet another sore throat. These sore throats are driving me crazy! I don't know if I am allergic to something in the air or what but it goes on and off. Anyone have any idea?
        same here, I had another sore throat last week! i already had the flu a month prior, was so mad to be sick so soon after!
        My primal journal
        25yo female, height 5'7"
        goal weight: 60kg / 155lb
        goal fat%: 20%

current weight: 70kg / 154lb

“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
        ― W. Somerset Maugham

Comment

• Can someone explain the sore throat and how it could be related to hormone/vitamin issues. Have I picked that up correctly?
          Life. Be in it.

Comment

• Belforte - I can't explain the sore throat as I'm no doctor, however, from my own experience of cutting sugar/junk/processed foods and going low carb, I haven't had as much as a sniffle in 2 years. I hear that bacteria feed on sugar, cut that and it's sources, and you cut off its food supply

Comment

• This is why you get chronic sickness.........Vitamin d modulates t regualator cells....allows them to mature. T regulators are the cells in cell mediated immunity that keep your immune system sharp. High cortisol levels are the end result of undiagnosed LR. So if you understand hormone biochemistry.......high cortisol shunt the base chemical pregnenolone to cortisol production. If all the pregnenolone is being used to make cortisol no other steroids are made. Vitamin D is one of those steroid hormones........this is called pregnenolone steal syndrome. More over when someone cortisol is up that hormone completely shuts the immune response off.......chronically it also turns off the thyroid by increasing reverse T3 which is a direct inhibitor of T3. Now for the ultimate off valve........if your thyroid is turned off.......you can't make pregnenolone from cholesterol at all ........because that conversion requires thyroid hormone and vitamin A to happen.........this worsens the pregnenolone steal syndrome and we see every other hormone made from pregnenolone shut off. This is why leptin resistance resistance is associated with global decreases in sex steroids immunity and poor sleep with horrible energy balance...............and using leptin is how the brain oversees energy utilization and use for our 20 trillion cells to keep us fit..............

Comment

• I have not had one single iota of a sore throat since stating the reset. Maybe that's due to being primal since January and supplementing Vit D3 since March.

Yesterday, I ate breakfast at 9:30AM and didn't eat again until dinner at 6:30PM. I literally had no desire to eat until then. The same thing happened Saturday as well. Today, I plan on seeing how I do without coffee. Will have a cup or 2 of green tea at work instead. Also a pair of jean shorts that have been a bit tight in recent history are now loose.
                Georgette

Comment

• Would there be any point to continue taking metform with a leptin reset diet? If the excess gluconeogenesis is due to cortisol production (utimately from rT3) I'm thinking that inhibiting the liver from making glucose will only create the need for even more cortisol? My fasting glucose is typically 110 in the morning and 90 at bedtime. Not optimal at all, even with 10-30g of dietary carbohydrate. Pot belly has been stuck for 2 years after a 60 pound weight loss in 2009, and I'm really sick of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
                    This is why you get chronic sickness.........Vitamin d modulates t regualator cells....allows them to mature. T regulators are the cells in cell mediated immunity that keep your immune system sharp. High cortisol levels are the end result of undiagnosed LR. So if you understand hormone biochemistry.......high cortisol shunt the base chemical pregnenolone to cortisol production. If all the pregnenolone is being used to make cortisol no other steroids are made. Vitamin D is one of those steroid hormones........this is called pregnenolone steal syndrome. More over when someone cortisol is up that hormone completely shuts the immune response off.......chronically it also turns off the thyroid by increasing reverse T3 which is a direct inhibitor of T3. Now for the ultimate off valve........if your thyroid is turned off.......you can't make pregnenolone from cholesterol at all ........because that conversion requires thyroid hormone and vitamin A to happen.........this worsens the pregnenolone steal syndrome and we see every other
                    hormone made from pregnenolone shut off. This is why leptin resistance resistance is associated with global decreases in sex steroids immunity and poor sleep with horrible energy balance...............and using leptin is how the brain oversees energy utilization and use for our 20
                    trillion cells to keep us fit..............
                    I posted a link to a video on pregnenolone steal a few days or so ago:
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34450.html
                    Effects of Stress - Pregnenolone Steal on Vimeo

Comment

• Good morning--I have been following this thread for some time but would not allow myself to post until I had read every page, as I didn't want to duplicate what someone else had already asked. I have seen similar questions to this but don't think I have seen an answer, so here it is: I see in the "leptin rules" from Dr. K that he says to "try to allow 4-5 hours from the last meal to bedtime." Due to our schedule, it's pretty darn tough to allow more than 2.5 hours from dinner to bedtime. This is how our day typically looks:
                      3 AM get up, I have my 50 grams of protein breakfast.
                      3:30 out the door for a 2-3 mile dog walk at a slow pace (20 mins per mile).
                      4:30 20 minutes of very easy yoga, mostly stretching, nothing vigorous
                      Over the next 11 hours or so, I work 7-9 hours (medical transcriptionist, flexible hours but very sedentary work) and may take a half hour nap. Lunch around 9:30-10:30.
                      4:30 PM dinner.
                      7 PM sleep.

I am a runner but am out w/a back injury right now--my interest in this thread and Primal is that I was DXd as hypothyroid 7 years ago, give or take, and put on Synthroid. I lost weight slowly from 170s to 115 (I'm female, 5 feet 3 inches, 51 years old) over 4 years, doing standard calorie restriction and eating food as little processed as I could up until my first marathon 3 years ago. Since then, I have steadily gained weight back up to 140 now and my dose of Synthroid has steadily been increased over that time period also. I am absolutely unable to lose weight and turned here as a last resort. I've been eating pretty primal for about 3 months now and will see about a half pound per week weight loss for several weeks (once down to 135.5) but then it will all come back for no apparent reason.

I do understand the Primal issues with "chronic cardio", etc., and figured I would use this downtime to try to heal whatever issues I may have going on here and later assess what to do about running. Any thoughts anyone has on the time between last meal and sleep thing are appreciated, as are any other advice or ideas you may have. My apologies if I overlooked the answer earlier and made a long thread even longer needlessly.

Comment

• Originally posted by MollyMoo View Post
                        Belforte - I can't explain the sore throat as I'm no doctor, however, from my own experience of cutting sugar/junk/processed foods and going low carb, I haven't had as much as a sniffle in 2 years. I hear that bacteria feed on sugar, cut that and it's sources, and you cut off its food supply
                        This is not a sore throat as in getting sick it is much different. Almost like the beginning of strep throat but then goes away for several days then comes back for a few days so there is more to it than that. I don't eat sugar or junk. I don't eat any dairy or gluten at all and haven't for over a year. I have been strictly primal or paleo for over a year as well but honestly my diet before that was pretty good. I have always been health conscious and eaten decent and took vitamins. So not sure what any bacteria are living off on me. There is far more to it than that. Not sure if there is a correlation to cortisol as Dr. K suggests or an underlying infection. Obviously others are having the same thing though.

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
                          I have not had one single iota of a sore throat since stating the reset. Maybe that's due to being primal since January and supplementing Vit D3 since March.

Yesterday, I ate breakfast at 9:30AM and didn't eat again until dinner at 6:30PM. I literally had no desire to eat until then. The same thing happened Saturday as well. Today, I plan on seeing how I do without coffee. Will have a cup or 2 of green tea at work instead. Also a pair of jean shorts that have been a bit tight in recent history are now loose.

Georgette,
                          Where you having recuring sore throats before? Unfortunately eating primal for the last year and supplementing with D3 for the last 2-3 years has not been enough for me.

Good luck without the coffee. I love the taste and smell of it, so I don't think I could give mine up in the morning.

I did the same thing on Sat & Sun skipped lunch however, I was a bit hungry but I like to sleep in on the weekends while I can before football and cheerleading start. I wouldn't have had enough hours in between meals. I did have some coconut oil in my green tea when it would have been lunch time to help me get through it.

Congratulations on the shorts! That is such a great feeling isn't it?!

Comment

• Dr K -- Got a question for you... Since Leptin resistance is a "Brain" disorder - how is LR/LS related to Migraines, Bipolar disorder, and epilepsy? my neuro at the VA told me that he sees patients who has 1 or more of those disease b/c they "originate" in the same region in the brain and all have a relationship with serotonin levels. Obviously, If you are having problems w/serotonin levels - theres most likely a short circuit in Leptin - right? I have both migraines and bipolar disorder -my neuro took me off all meds I was on for treatment of both disorders b/c I had a sever metabolic/chemical response to the drugs (depakote & topamax for prevention/management of the diseases - I never could take triptans - they always made my migraines worse) & he sent me to an Atlas Orthogonal Chiropractor for adjustments - he's found more success treating patients when they're in alignment and he doesn't have to give them drugs to manage the illness

I know I'm pre-disposed to migraines b/c my dad has had them his whole life. I had my first migraine at 10. Is it possible there's something I did - via diet,trauma (car crash, falling off a horse) etc when I was younger that turned on the switch that led me to having them - could I have been slowly burning my leptin sensitivity away - and the first onset of the migraines - was an indicator I was on the wrong path?

I'd love to set my kids up for avoiding some of the issues I have...
                            The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
                            What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
                            SW 190lb
                            Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
                            25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                            1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                            GW ~135lbs
                            5'3"
                            Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobirdy View Post
                              Just my 2 cents here. When I first started, I ate a large breakfast and found that I was just as hungry for later meals as when I didn't eat that much for breakfast. During the first week, things gradually changed to where I enjoyed the large breakfast, was hungry enough for it, and then in later weeks I found myself not wanting as much for later meals. But there was that time in between when I gained a pound, and I looked at the calorie levels and became concerned. That is when I just decided to do the protocol and not track my protein grams or calories, or even weigh myself very much. I read about others here who had the same thing happen, and I didn't want to derail my process by confirming failure in the short-term.
                              For me, it took about 2-3 weeks for me to start reducing the size of the later meals naturally. I just can't believe I have a full switch.
                              For younger folks here who just say stuff like, "Hey, just eat real food and stop when you are full, stupid," I have to say that you just don't know what it is to live with no off-switch. It is always full speed ahead. If you are dieting, there is one foot on the brake, and the other one still on the accelerator. What a crazy way to live, and it even seems more crazy now that I don't have to do that anymore just to stay in place.
                              Wow! You are telling my story! Every time someone around here tells me that Grok did not limit his food but just ate until he was full, I feel like I'm going to scream! It's nice to know that I am not alone in the world!

And you know what I think? I think Grok knew that there might not be another meal for awhile, and he did not stop eating when he was full. I'll bet he stopped eating either a) when all the food at hand was gone or b) when he felt like he would throw up if he ate another bite, whichever came first!
                              Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
                              Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
                              So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
                              Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
                              Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

• Originally posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
                                I read Lyle's stuff and he has zero clue how leptin works from a neuroanatomic standpoint. He knows exercise well. Moreover, he even has less understanding of how it ties to the gut incretin system at the hypothalamus with the hypocretin neurons regulating metabolism,appetite, satiety and sleep. IF you want to really swim deep in this stuff you better become a PHd neuroscientist or neurosurgeon. This stuff is not for the faint of heart. I am trying to make it understandable to anyone who wants to know how to do this simply.
                                Thank you, Dr. Kruse!
                                Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
                                Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
                                So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
                                Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
                                Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

Working...
                                X