Ice Cream

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Cream

Before I went Primal, these raw, non dairy ice creams were one of my favourite treats (I've removed brand name etc as not sure on exact forum rules). I saw some in a shop today and thought that they seemed pretty much primal (despite sugar content - they are a treat after all).

Chocolate - Water, Agave Syrup, Cashew Nuts, Cocoa Powder.
    Vanilla - Water, Agave Syrup, Cashew Nuts, Vanilla Oil.
    Coconut - Water, Agave Syrup, Cashew Nuts, Coconut.
    Ginger - Water, Agave Syrup, Cashew Nuts, Ginger Root.
    Maple Pecan - Water, Agave Syrup, Cashew Nuts, Maple Syrup, Pecan Nuts.

Product (100ml) - Kcal - fat - carb - sugar - protein
    Chocolate - 153 - 7.8 - 17.3 - 14.3 - 3.5
    Vanilla - 160 - 8.3 - 18.2 - 15.8 - 3.0
    Coconut - 211 - 13.0 - 17.9 - 15.0 - 3.5
    Ginger - 164 - 8.4 - 18.8 - 16.1 - 3.2
    Maple Pecan - 164 - 9.6 - 16.7 - 13.4 - 3.1

Would these constitute an acceptable primal treat?

i say no but here is what i do three times a week

get out blender
    pour in a can of cocnut milk
    1/8T Kal Stevia
    fruit
    1/2 C HWC

Blitz

chill in icecream maker

NOM
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

probably not the best things to eat, but definitely not the worst things either. i usually prefer homemade icecream, but these could do in a pinch.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

It sounds like the best thing. Delicious. Treat yourself, you earned it.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance, but what is HWC when it's at home?

Another issue I have is that Stevia is illegal in the UK are there any suitable alternatives.

That aside, I love the idea of making home-made cocunut milk ice cream; I must find the ice-cream maker at my parents house...

Comment

'Heavy whipping cream'. Use UK double cream. (Jersey preferrable)

Make an egg custard with it (French way) or just use it neat....freeze......add mashed berries or melted 85/90% choc. Eat. No need for sweet taste stuff; it's sweet enough! (But if desperate for more sweetness, use a little powdered glucose .)
            activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

Thanks localad, is double cream relatively light on lactose?

Comment

About 3% by weight. (for ref; butter about 1%) Are you lactose intolerant?

You might be able to 'sour' it (ferment the lactose) with a spoonful of 'live' yogurt and a bit of warmth and a couple of days. Wow! 48% fat yogurt!
                activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

I'd rather eat chocolate-avocado popsicles, too much cashew and my mouth gets raw (probably another allergy, knowing my luck.)
                  Warning: I'm the most laid-back primal gal you'll ever meet.

Comment

Yeesh, what's up with this agave syrup crap? It's something like 90% pure fructose. It's the worst stuff out there. Seriously, give me HFCS any day. It's less poisonous. We need to make like Japan and start using stevia in everything. The fact that it's illegal in the UK is appalling. It's the ONLY good sweetener to use. If I absolutely had to use sugar, I'd stick to white death, maple syrup or honey. Stay away from that fake chemical crap, too.
                    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                      Yeesh, what's up with this agave syrup crap? It's something like 90% pure fructose. It's the worst stuff out there. Seriously, give me HFCS any day. It's less poisonous. We need to make like Japan and start using stevia in everything. The fact that it's illegal in the UK is appalling. It's the ONLY good sweetener to use. If I absolutely had to use sugar, I'd stick to white death, maple syrup or honey. Stay away from that fake chemical crap, too.
                      i actually just read about how agave nectar is pretty much the worst sweetener there is. last batch of ice cream we made at my house was just cream, maple syrup and a dash of raw sugar...tasted great. i haven't worked with stevia yet, but i may pick some up and see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                        i actually just read about how agave nectar is pretty much the worst sweetener there is. last batch of ice cream we made at my house was just cream, maple syrup and a dash of raw sugar...tasted great. i haven't worked with stevia yet, but i may pick some up and see how it goes.
                        I've already done the work for you. This stuff is the BEST.

Stevita Spoonable -- 16 oz - Vitacost

95% pure stevia and the only filler is, which is by far the best sugar alcohol (ZERO GI value).

Plus, if you order by Friday and enter "FATHERSDAY" as a promo code, you get 10% off. Plus, they're running free shipping with a purchase of $49 or more. Vitacost is the BEST and I order from them all the time. They have awesome, awesome deals on coconut oil, too. Nutiva extra virgin is fantastic stuff.

Just note that without sugar, it freezes hard as a rock. The sugar acts like antifreeze. When using stevia, you have to use a lot of alcohol to keep it thawed. The batch I just made has 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract, 3 tablespoons spiced rum and 2 tablespoons vodka. You still can't taste the liquor but I used good brands (old glass-bottled Smirnoff vodka and Private Stock). I'll see how well it sets up tonight. My last batch was like chipping away at a diamond.
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Honey is preferable to sugar, IMO. It's high in fructose, but it doesn't have the same negative effects as purified fructose does. (It doesn't elevate triglycerides, it doesn't increase sensitivity to oxidation, etc.) Maple syrup is another option.

I use 3 cups of cream (or yogurt or coconut milk or a combination), six egg yolks, 1/3 cup honey, and a couple teaspoons of vanilla extract. That's delicious enough, but I sometimes also add about a cup of pureed fruit or shaved dark chocolate. Sometimes some nut butter.

Comment

thanks, chocotaco...

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

Just note that without sugar, it freezes hard as a rock. The sugar acts like antifreeze. When using stevia, you have to use a lot of alcohol to keep it thawed. The batch I just made has 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract, 3 tablespoons spiced rum and 2 tablespoons vodka. You still can't taste the liquor but I used good brands (old glass-bottled Smirnoff vodka and Private Stock). I'll see how well it sets up tonight. My last batch was like chipping away at a diamond.
                            do stevia and sugar measure out the same way? if a recipe calls for 1/4 cup of sugar, does a 1/4 cup of stevia and booze do the trick?

Comment

Originally posted by maurile View Post
                              Honey is preferable to sugar, IMO. It's high in fructose, but it doesn't have the same negative effects as purified fructose does. (It doesn't elevate triglycerides, it doesn't increase sensitivity to oxidation, etc.) Maple syrup is another option.

I use 3 cups of cream (or yogurt or coconut milk or a combination), six egg yolks, 1/3 cup honey, and a couple teaspoons of vanilla extract. That's delicious enough, but I sometimes also add about a cup of pureed fruit or shaved dark chocolate. Sometimes some nut butter.
                              I've never heard that about honey. I just assumed because it's 50/50 fructose/glucose like white sugar, one wouldn't be really any better than other. Where did you get that info? I'd love to read up on that. Is that only for the raw honey or is that true for the stuff you buy in those little squeezable bear-shaped containers for $2.99, too?
                              Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-15-2011, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X