beef heart, wow!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beef heart, wow!

im making my journey into the strange world of offal. i started with liver, and quickly grew to love the interesting texture. the taste was a little strange but the cajun marinade i found on these forums works perfectly with it. anyway now ive just made some beef heart stew, slow cooked in redwine, vegetables and some stock, and its amazing. im just wondering though, because i know you should limit liver intake due the the high amounts of vitamin A in it, but is there any worry about consuming lots of heart? my understanding is its much closer to regular steak, being a muscle. the other thing im thinking is what is the fat content like? im guessing that it doesnt stand up to a nice marbles slab of steak.

but anyway, anyone who hasnt tried heart yet, DO IT! its so ridiculously cheap, tastes very similar to steak and its GREAT!

Eat your heart out.

(bah-dum-chhhh)

No I would not worry about consuming a lot of heart. The Peruvian place near my work makes beef heart kabobs. They are insanely good!

Comment

I am getting 1/4 grass fed beef and have requested the heart, liver, tongue, and oxtail. I am ready for something new.
      Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

Originally posted by secretlobster View Post
        No I would not worry about consuming a lot of heart. The Peruvian place near my work makes beef heart kabobs. They are insanely good!
        Any idea how they season or marinade it? Sounds interesting.
        carl's cave

Comment

yes please I have many hearts in teh freezer
          Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
          Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
          Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by carlh View Post
            Any idea how they season or marinade it? Sounds interesting.
            The flavors I could easily taste in the marinade were coriander, salt/pepper, vinegar and garlic, and they listed olive oil and aji colorado (dried, mild pepper). Pretty simple flavors but very very good.

Comment

Heart is not very high in fat, but it is incredibly dense in protein. My understanding is that, per pound, it has more 'stuff' in it than normal muscle meat (aside from maybe fat). I don't think it's particularly high in any other vitamin or mineral. Basically, it's just a good, dense muscle.

I don't believe you can eat too much of it any more than you can eat too much of any other muscle meat. For that matter, I don't think you can really eat too much liver if you don't eat more than say a pound a day. I don't think anyone could reasonably eat liver EVERYDAY so I don't really see that as an issue. Remember, for every 2,000 pound cow, there is one liver, one brain, etc.

Comment

So...heart seared on the grill with salt and pepper, good idea or bad idea?
                Steph
                My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Originally posted by secretlobster View Post
                  Eat your heart out.

(bah-dum-chhhh)
                  And some entertainment to accompany that meal:
                  YouTube - ‪Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - I'm Glad‬‏

I'm going to go out on a limb here and mention that Captain Beefheart may be an acquired taste.

(bah-dum-chhhh)
                  Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
                    Heart is not very high in fat, but it is incredibly dense in protein. My understanding is that, per pound, it has more 'stuff' in it than normal muscle meat (aside from maybe fat). I don't think it's particularly high in any other vitamin or mineral. Basically, it's just a good, dense muscle.
                    This is why it makes such good jerky.

Comment

I find that heart tend to be a little "rubbery" or "chewy" - not that I mind, but some people don't like it.

Basically, the heart is just a (very powerful) muscle getting constant exercise. Good stuff!

Comment

Oooh, i might try heart next time then.
                        I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by Bissen View Post
                          I find that heart tend to be a little "rubbery" or "chewy" - not that I mind, but some people don't like it.
                          Slow cook it for a few hours and it can barely stay on your fork!

Comment

Working...
                          X