Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going for 20 mile bike ride tonight..carbs? where do i get em ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going for 20 mile bike ride tonight..carbs? where do i get em ?

i am afraid fruit wont be enough to fuel that....anyone?
    Big brains discuss ideas
    Average brains discuss events
    Small brains discuss people...
    -Eleanore Roosevelt

If you need carbs for a one-hour workout, something is seriously wrong. Are you keto-adapted?

Gordo

Comment

ok so basically ur saying i dont need carbs ?
      Big brains discuss ideas
      -Eleanore Roosevelt

Comment

I'm saying that you can fast for 24 hours and do that ride without eating a thing before or during if all systems are working well. Short answer is no, you don't need carbs.

Gordo

Comment

thats insane. how is that so?
          Big brains discuss ideas
          -Eleanore Roosevelt

Comment

The whole point of being primal is that you train your body to burn fat, not sugar. Even the skinniest little dude has enough body fat to fuel a few hundred miles of running.

Gordo

Comment

thats insane. i guess i have alot to learn. so is it normal being shakey cutting out carbs? it sucks. im so tired every day and shakey (inner trembling rather)
              Big brains discuss ideas
              -Eleanore Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah...what Gordo said. It's only 20 miles. You aren't gonna bonk.
                Being new to all of this, I suggest you read over some posts, Mark's blog, and the book.

Comment

That's the price you pay while adapting to burning fat. Once that's over, you're no longer a slave to sugar. Yes, it sucks, particularly while working out. It's well worth it.

Gordo

Comment

Originally posted by denbro01 View Post
                    Yeah...what Gordo said. It's only 20 miles. You aren't gonna bonk.
                    Being new to all of this, I suggest you read over some posts, Mark's blog, and the book.
                    when i get paid ill def buy it. just the side effects are scarin me haha
                    Big brains discuss ideas
                    -Eleanore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
                      That's the price you pay while adapting to burning fat. Once that's over, you're no longer a slave to sugar. Yes, it sucks, particularly while working out. It's well worth it.

Gordo
                      i appreciate your info and patience. id like to keep in touch with you when i tour. im in a professional touring band (serious not garage style) and its hard on the road. ill be posting all the time. my band is facebook.com/impendingdoom
                      Big brains discuss ideas
                      -Eleanore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by btownshreds View Post
                        thats insane. i guess i have alot to learn. so is it normal being shakey cutting out carbs? it sucks. im so tired every day and shakey (inner trembling rather)
                        What's your history? What do you eat in a typical day?

Comment

If you're not adapted to burning ketones as fuel, you might want to postpone a 20+ mile bikeride. ALso, there are varying degrees to which people are successful at endurance exercise fueled strictly by ketones/fat. Some people need more glucose in order to burn the fat (I'm speaking experience, not theory here). Last weekend a friend and I both did a 30+ mile ride. Both of us have been eating LC Primal for over a year and both of us are trained cyclists. He had no problems going the distance but I was tired and not-feeling-right at the end...elevated heartrate, nausea, headache....some people just need more carbs. If you search the forum you'll find other cyclists/runners who eat primal usually but they fuel up on their carbs when going on rides/runs that will last longer than 1 hr (the typical amount of time where you'd burn through your glycogen). Even Mark Sisson's article says that when doing an endurance exercise for longer than 1 hr, you typically need 100gm more carbs (or was it glucose?) per hour to fuel said exercise.
                          I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Comment

Originally posted by denbro01 View Post
                            What's your history? What do you eat in a typical day?
                            i just have anxiety and panic for med history. in a normal day of eating shyte food id eat oatmeal with peanut butter, chicken sandwhich for lunch, granola bars for snacks , chicken with brown rice for dinner...... when id "cheat" id gorge on pizza burgers, sushi etc etc
                            Big brains discuss ideas
                            -Eleanore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Canarygirl View Post
                              Even Mark Sisson's article says that when doing an endurance exercise for longer than 1 hr, you typically need 100gm more carbs (or was it glucose?) per hour to fuel said exercise.
                              If it does, it's wrong. Folks who run ultras make a science out of nutrition. Ultras are often referred to as eating contests with some running. 200 calories or so is all your body can absorb per hour. It's also a really fine line, because if you ingest just a bit too many carbs, you get an insulin response that prevents fat burning. You can actually precipitate a bonk by eating carbs mid-event.

People are different, but glycogen stores at the beginning of the workout are important. If you're lower than your buddy, he's going to smoke you. If the relative pace is higher for you than he, you'll run out of gas first since you're burning at a higher glycogen/fat ratio.

Gordo

Gordo

Comment

Working...
                              X