Veggie smoothies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veggie smoothies?

Hey all. So Ive been try to get more vegatables in my diet and was thinking about doing blended smoothies - throwing in only veggies with some berries, thinks like carrots, apples, brocolli, etc. Is this a good way to do it? Does it break down the nutrition at all? Thank!

Originally posted by kill.switch View Post
    Hey all. So Ive been try to get more vegatables in my diet and was thinking about doing blended smoothies - throwing in only veggies with some berries, thinks like carrots, apples, brocolli, etc. Is this a good way to do it? Does it break down the nutrition at all? Thank!
    In moderation I'd think it's OK.

But if you use a lot of sugary stuff, then liquidizing it is going to get that sugar into your system a lot faster, which might not be the best thing. If you're using a specialized juicer that removes the fibre, again that might not be the best thing. Better really to eat an apple and a bowl of berries.

Broccoli should be cooked, as it's a goitrogen (uncooked it contains substances that can harm the thyroid gland).

Comment

Ditto to what Lewis said, but I do find I enjoy making cold "soups" (I usually drink them like smoothies) out of fruits/veggies.

For instance, mark has a recipe for a gazpacho on here (essentially a raw, cold, soup) and Elana (from elanaspantry.com) has a great recipe for a "soup" that blends raw cucumber and avocado with a hint of chili pepper and a smidge of water--amazing.

I found a lot of raw food people drink these "cold veggie soups" so you might find some good recipes that way.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X