Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figs primal?

Are figs primal?

Yes... I eat figs sometimes but I make sure they do not have added sugar. The black mission figs almost always have sugar added.

Comment

Made In Nature Organic Calimyrna Figs, Sun-Dried and Unsulfured, 7-Ounce Bags (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

How do I eat this? Take it out of the shell and just eat? (btw that's a ton of sugar and carbs)

Comment

Yup! That's what I do. Figs also go really well with Manchego cheese.

Comment

I actually have never had dried figs. I limit my consumption of dried fruit. It sticks to my teeth and it's also a really concentrated source of sugar. I love fresh figs though. They should be coming in season soon!

@secretlobster: I've never had Manchego cheese, but have wanted to try it since I heard about it a few months ago. They've been pushing it hard at the Publix stores around here. It's $14/lb though, so I've been passing on it. Is it worth giving it a try?

Comment

RE: Manchego.

I've never had Manchego cheese, but have wanted to try it since I heard about it a few months ago. They've been pushing it hard at the Publix stores around here. It's $14/lb though, so I've been passing on it. Is it worth giving it a try?
            Sooo worth the try.

With dried fig (or Adriatic Fig Spread) it would make my top 10 for a *last meal* item. Seriously. It's that good.

Comment

Woot!!!!!
              Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
              Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
              Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Pull 'em off the tree, they are amazing.

I figure anything that you can yank off a branch and munch on without worry is primal. That's what Grok would do.

Comment

I tasted Manchego cheese for the first time at Publix this weekend. Seriously! This may be the best cheese ever developed. <3

I'm going to buy some next trip to the store.

Comment

Slice your fresh figs, line in greased pan (I prefer glass) sprinkle w/ balsamic vinegar, bake @ 350 for 20 mins or longer until caramelized,
                    eat w/ your Menchego....Divine!!

Comment

Laksmi, I am going to try that.

The first figs have arrived here in Naples. Delicious. I like them fresh for breakfast with cream cheese. Kept me full for hours.
                      Life. Be in it.

Comment

oooh Belforte I agree - ripe fresh figs with a lovely creamy cheese cannot be beaten! I used to eat cheese and dried fruit for breakfast but I find that dried fruit has too much sugar in it so I stick with the fresh and maybe some nuts....yum!
                        Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
                        Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Comment

Just ate some black mission figs, wow they are delicious (never had them before). The reason for the figs is to balance the PH level since figs are supposed to be high alkaline.

Before going primal I had stomach acid issues, after going primal it went away but over the past few weeks, I've been decreasing my vegetable intake while increasing my meat intake. This caused the problem to come back and I noticed my ph level was low (6.2-6.4) when the problem occurs. Hopefully the figs and increased vegetable intake fixes the issue.

Comment

Fresh figs are a source of potassium and calcium. I love them right off the tree, and don't hate me but I live in a veritable suburban orchard - neighbors grow all kinds of fruits including figs, and we planted 30 fruit trees when we moved here. I've been munching on Pakistani mulberries, nectarines and plums. Peaches are ripening now, figs and guavas will be ready later in the summer, and of course you can't have an orchard without citrus in California - those will be ready in winter.

Pre-primal I did some canning of jams... figs with vanilla made the most decadent and delicious jam I ever made. Too bad that figs are highly perishable, so the fresh ones in stores are almost always underripe and not worth the $. Try your local farmer's markets if you live in milder climes.
                            Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

Originally posted by Laksmi View Post
                              Slice your fresh figs, line in greased pan (I prefer glass) sprinkle w/ balsamic vinegar, bake @ 350 for 20 mins or longer until caramelized,
                              eat w/ your Menchego....Divine!!
                              Yum! I will have to try this. Fig season is almost here!

I can't think of any reason that fresh figs wouldn't be primal, do dried always have sugar added?
                              My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

Working...
                              X