Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you won the long war against sugar addiction?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmahogany, it goes far beyond the seasonal.search for fruit. My sugar cravings grew exactly 7proportionate to tbe ldngth of my antibiotic use. I never had a craving problem before that. Increasing fat and especially mornkng protein drove tbe cravings away, and i no longer desire any sweet qfoods except an occasional strawberry.

Your explanation, which is common, does not explain why a person with a reasonable normal sweet tooth became sugar obsessed, and completsly unable to stop.the addiction, but the found something which was completely able to annihilate cravings to a point far less than they had ever been ... Ever.

Same goes for the next commenter.

Cursed phone.
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Seems like a good place to ask this question:

Q: if you had a family member who was addicted to sugar, and you convinced them to go get checked out by a doctor, what tests would you recommend?

This individual has eaten sugar for decades, to the extent that it has materially displaced real food. I don't even want to estimate the proportion of calories coming from sugar. Perhaps 35%? If you include alcohol maybe 50%+. It's malnutrition + sugar addiction + drinking. Not good.

The most obvious would be triglycerides...and along with that HDL/LDL via a VAP test. Sky high numbers here could help quantify the severity of the situation. Probably a fasting insulin test correct? What other tests would reveal the damage done by sugar/alcohol?

Comment

• Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
        Seems like a good place to ask this question:

Q: if you had a family member who was addicted to sugar, and you convinced them to go get checked out by a doctor, what tests would you recommend?

This individual has eaten sugar for decades, to the extent that it has materially displaced real food. I don't even want to estimate the proportion of calories coming from sugar. Perhaps 35%? If you include alcohol maybe 50%+. It's malnutrition + sugar addiction + drinking. Not good.

The most obvious would be triglycerides...and along with that HDL/LDL via a VAP test. Sky high numbers here could help quantify the severity of the situation. Probably a fasting insulin test correct? What other tests would reveal the damage done by sugar/alcohol?
        unfortunately the damage is so systemic as to become unbelievable.

much of that which we assume to be a discrete illness is truly an indication of glucose overdose including all the obesity indicators as well as many if the autoimmune disorders.

if you are hoping to provoke a change in lifestyle i have found it to be far more effective to point out the benefits of a thing rather than the detriments of its opposite.

like eat a stevia sweetened cheesecake whenever they are around you ... a whole one. eggs cream cheese, nut crust, all keto all the time...
        Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
        Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
        Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

• Originally posted by quelsen View Post
          unfortunately the damage is so systemic as to become unbelievable.

much of that which we assume to be a discrete illness is truly an indication of glucose overdose including all the obesity indicators as well as many if the autoimmune disorders.
          Yep, I agree with that. In fact that is this person's problem; they have all sorts of issues and just can't comprehend that the source of all of them might be SUGAR. Need to do tests, this person is sick. But have considered stevia, the Japanese seem to be doing okay.

Comment

• Do they want to be well???

until the answer is yes any change is too much.

most people cannot conceive of eating real food let alone giving up what they assume are basics to life which are truly life destroying.
            Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
            Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
            Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

• No this person does not want to be well.

I understand the wisdom of you can't help them until they want to be helped, but I don't care. This person is getting into the car and going to the doctor this week, before they end up dead.

It probably won't help but if the tests show something serious and there is a 1% chance this person makes a change it's worth the effort.

Comment

• Update to this old threadů

Well, I didn't follow the wisdom of "you can't help a person who doesn't want to be helped". Instead to stayed on my mom about this and used all sorts of aggressive tactics, forced her to get a blood test, sure enough she has metabolic syndrome, and then hammered on her to follow high fat, zero sugar, zero fruit paleo (like her doctor ordered). She finally realized it was this or death.

Success! She's reading Paleo books now and following the diet. It's going to be a long hard road for her breaking lifelong sugar addiction. But I've got to say, after 9 days of zero sugar she is a different person. Her mind has cleared up, it was as if she had semi Alzheimer's before and suddenly came back to reality when the sugar was removed. She talks coherently, doesn't get unstable emotional, mood is more positive and less depressed/manic.

Comment

• I have been sugar-free for 12 years and if I ever get a "sweets" craving, I go for roasted butternut squash with cinnamon, so delicious, satisfies me every time

Comment

• Glad to hear about your mom turning around, Kimchininja. If only it was easier to get people to change before it got so bad. But heartening that she had such good results in such a short period of time. The body is amazing when you give it the right stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                      Glad to hear about your mom turning around, Kimchininja. If only it was easier to get people to change before it got so bad. But heartening that she had such good results in such a short period of time. The body is amazing when you give it the right stuff.
                      Thanks! Yeah it's amazing how much work it takes to get people to open their eyes, my brother and I put in long hours, it was like a part time job.

Comment

• KimChiNinja, let me strongly recommend that you get and read The Diet Cure with your mother. (the updated edition) Sugar cravings hae a lot of sources, and no matter how motivated a person is to change, will power will only get you through it for so long till the cravings overpower your will again. (Keep in mind that the definition of addiction is doing a harmful thing even when you know it is bad for you and you want to stop.)

This book gives 8 possible sources for sugar cravings (most of us have more than one), and most people find their solution very rapidly. I'm one of those rare birds who needs a long, drawn-out solution, but most people don't. I know many who have found their permanent solution in the suggestions from this book, which encompass the real-food world. I would bet your mother is deficient in one of the amino acids that make the neurochemicals that sugar replaces.

What wonderful news that you have helped save her life!
                        5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                        Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                        Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                        Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                        ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Working...
                        X