Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you won the long war against sugar addiction?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow 23 pages and no-one has mentioned calcium!

Sweet cravings can be triggered by calcium needs. Calcium in nature is often sweet. I see that you cut right down on dairy and you are nursing. You need 2parts calcium to 1 part magnesium. I don't think dairy is necessarily the best source, but it might be worth looking into things other calcium rich foods and maybe supplementation.

Personally i would avoid coral calcium and look for ionic calcium drops.

Just a thought and definitely worth looking into.
    My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silky View Post
      Wow 23 pages and no-one has mentioned calcium!

Sweet cravings can be triggered by calcium needs. Calcium in nature is often sweet. I see that you cut right down on dairy and you are nursing. You need 2parts calcium to 1 part magnesium. I don't think dairy is necessarily the best source, but it might be worth looking into things other calcium rich foods and maybe supplementation.

Personally i would avoid coral calcium and look for ionic calcium drops.

Just a thought and definitely worth looking into.
      That's interesting thanks. I think the Diet Cure mentions it, or something else I looked at recently. I'm wary of calcium supplements as they've had bad press lately. Mind you, the only time I've succeeded losing weight since this started was when I was dairy free, so maybe it's not one of my issues.
      Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
      Harold Whitman

Comment

• I have these issues too. Am hypothyroid, have FMS, etc... A diet close to the Leptin Reset is what has helped me. I must have a high purine, high protein breakfast to make it to lunch. Then I must repeat that with a few lc vegs at lunch if I'm gonna make it to dinner. Dinner is about the same as lunch but with more of the vegs and less of the ptn. I almost never can eat fruit and if I do it has to be lc. Otherwise, I'm out of control and gain weight and feel tired and depressed.

That's what's helped me. I take a lot of sups too.

Originally posted by bodhimama View Post
        I'm struggling with this too. For me it's not sweets so much, more crunchy/salty carbs like tortilla chips and potato chips, rice and potatoes, and alcohol. I'm hypothyroid and insulin resistant. So if I do higher carb every day, I gain weight. I really do. Alarmingly fast (I put on 15 lb in the past 6 weeks this way!). And it increases hunger and cravings. Yet without it I feel deprived and craving.

I actually bought The Diet Cure a few days ago and am beginning to read it. Maria Emmerich also has a book called Secrets to Controlling Your Weight, Cravings and Mood and I bought that for my Kindle and am reading that also - it seems to overlap a good bit with The Diet Cure. I'm really hoping something in that helps me! I have 5-HTP on order.

Right now I cope with tea and seltzer with stevia when I am craving carby stuff. It seems to help. I like Yogi Mayan Cocoa Spice - add a bit of half n half or heavy cream, a touch of cocoa powder, and stevia and it becomes a sweet chocolatey drink. Their Chai Green tea also helps me - lots of flavor. I have found that if I snack, even on low-carb things like hard-boiled eggs, I can't lose weight - and right now I'm trying to lose these last 15 lb I gained. Oh - and I love Endangered Species 88% dark chocolate.

Best of luck.
        Wisdom begins in the recognition of how little we know.

(teaching of Socrates)

Comment

• Originally posted by bodhimama View Post
          I'm struggling with this too. For me it's not sweets so much, more crunchy/salty carbs like tortilla chips and potato chips, rice and potatoes, and alcohol. I'm hypothyroid and insulin resistant. So if I do higher carb every day, I gain weight. I really do. Alarmingly fast (I put on 15 lb in the past 6 weeks this way!). And it increases hunger and cravings. Yet without it I feel deprived and craving.

I actually bought The Diet Cure a few days ago and am beginning to read it. Maria Emmerich also has a book called Secrets to Controlling Your Weight, Cravings and Mood and I bought that for my Kindle and am reading that also - it seems to overlap a good bit with The Diet Cure. I'm really hoping something in that helps me! I have 5-HTP on order.

Right now I cope with tea and seltzer with stevia when I am craving carby stuff. It seems to help. I like Yogi Mayan Cocoa Spice - add a bit of half n half or heavy cream, a touch of cocoa powder, and stevia and it becomes a sweet chocolatey drink. Their Chai Green tea also helps me - lots of flavor. I have found that if I snack, even on low-carb things like hard-boiled eggs, I can't lose weight - and right now I'm trying to lose these last 15 lb I gained. Oh - and I love Endangered Species 88% dark chocolate.

Best of luck.
          In terms of eating carbs, I personally find success if combining carbs (higher carb veg or fruit) w/ protein (along w/ fat--but always protein.) If I just decide to eat fruit alone, that will most likely lead to a binge on other less than primal carbs (chips, etc...) Also, eating enough protein and low carb veggies each day also helps me as well. Along w/ not fasting all day long (that will most likely lead to a binge for me w/ my eating disorder history...)

The Diet Cure has been helpful for me, and I personally just put a primal slant to it. I also have been doing a low carb/high protein breakfast, moderate carb lunch (fruit along w/ lots of veg w/ my meat), and a moderate carb dinner (sometimes a starchy veg or higher starch/carb fruit like a banana w/ my meat and veggies.) I just try and keep it 'balanced'--if I'm eating carbs, they are not alone, you know?

Good luck! This is a continual process...I hope you find the combination that works best for you!
          My Before/After Pics
          Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

• @FairyRae: Agree, forgot to mention, the fruits only in combo with ptn/fat or immediately after eating. Also, for me only low sugar fruits like unripe banana or some cantaloupe.. Berries are off my list but that's another issue.

I keep my list of foods that work and foods that don't in my purse. Another list is for "allergies" for restaurants.
            Wisdom begins in the recognition of how little we know.

(teaching of Socrates)

Comment

• ITA, carbs and fruit only with a meal with protein, fats and veggies is best for me. Example- last night I was feeling porrly and had a bowl of rice porridge with a spoonful on jam on top. It wasn't even that tasty, and certainly not worth having to get up at 6am on a Sat morning to get something to eat!!

Just had abowl of canned mackerel and olives with avocado il and ACV, that should be better lol. Night night!

ETA: So much for that. Crazy uncontrollable hunger, I thought at first maybe because I got very hungry this morning as I'm ill and didn't get up for breakfast until 10am, I know from experience that if I get very hungry like that then I will have extra hunger for the next 24hrs or so. But after that supper, later had a banana, lay in bed still hungry, am now eating a pancake with rice flour and 3 eggs. I suspect it may be because I started taking milk thistle yesterday- I just discovered as well as it's effects on the liver it also *lowers blood sugar* aaargh!!!
              Last edited by Horsewoman; 07-09-2011, 04:16 PM.
              Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
              Harold Whitman

Comment

• No help, but I'm struggling with this myself. For me, I *think* it's my hormones being out of whack. Actually doing bioidentical progesterone cream right now and it seems to be helping with the cravings. So far. Now if it will just help with what I'm taking it to help, I'll be a happy camper.

Comment

• Well I won't be taking milk thistle again (okay will probably do one more experiment just to make sure I can't use it), that was verging on scary. So annoying- I always research thoroughly before choosing any supplements or herbs but none of the articles I read before buying it mentioned it has a blood sugar lowering effect and shouldn't be used by hypoglycemics! Wasted money uuurgh!

Determined to get back on track now with primal/ RR with whatever carbs don't bother me. Taking potatoes out hasn't solved the joint pain so as of today I'm also taking rice out. Had a good breakfast of duck eggs, bacon and sweet potato fried in lard with greens. Cup of raspberry tea with a tsp of honey because full blown sugar withdrawal is not on my to do list for today lol, keeping my focus on staying dairy free, which means no milk chocolate or ice cream, that's hard enough for now.

Harold Whitman

Comment

• Originally posted by Horsewoman View Post
                    Determined to get back on track now with primal/ RR with whatever carbs don't bother me. Taking potatoes out hasn't solved the joint pain so as of today I'm also taking rice out.
                    This reminds me--I am a nightshade sensitive person, BUT, I've learned that *sugar* (not fruit sugar, but concentrated in the form of sweets etc) absolutely causes me joint pain, even *more* than any nightshades. I can do a tiny amount of very dark chocolate w/out feeling it, but eating sugar (even in the form of 3-4 small gf cookies, etc) will make me feel like I've been run over by a truck the next day (and I'll absolutely have joint pain galore.) Just wanted to share this in case any small sources of sugar are the problem and not the nightshades/rice/etc...
                    My Before/After Pics
                    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

• Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                      This reminds me--I am a nightshade sensitive person, BUT, I've learned that *sugar* (not fruit sugar, but concentrated in the form of sweets etc) absolutely causes me joint pain, even *more* than any nightshades. I can do a tiny amount of very dark chocolate w/out feeling it, but eating sugar (even in the form of 3-4 small gf cookies, etc) will make me feel like I've been run over by a truck the next day (and I'll absolutely have joint pain galore.) Just wanted to share this in case any small sources of sugar are the problem and not the nightshades/rice/etc...
                      Thanks FR . Sugar does cause me joint pain in fact, but more mildly. Funny because when I first went sugar free all my joint pain went, then it came back with the gluten illness and now I seem to get it from all sorts of things.

Harold Whitman

Comment

• That's really interesting about sugar.

FWIW I never eat fruit alone, and rarely at all. Sometimes I do a whey protein smoothie (stevia sweetened, Tera's Whey) with a handful of berries (frozen strawberries, usually).

I have been eating very much a leptin reset type diet without knowing it. I'll have 3-4 eggs scrambled in ghee for breakfast. I find it I get it up to 4 I make it to lunch without snacking. Lunch is more protein - tuna, steak, chicken, etc - and a large salad with either oil/vinegar or a creamy homemade dressing. Sometimes an avocado on there if I have one ripe. Dinner is yet more protein and some other kind of veggie, like sauteed kale or grilled baby bok choy (so yum, did that the other night!). But somewhere between lunch and dinner, or after dinner, I get crazy cravings for carbs - whether it's the tortilla chips, potato chips, whatever is around (my son has special medical needs and must have insane amounts of calories daily, and although he eats mostly primal himself, he does eat chips for carbs/calories, so they are always around!). Sometimes if I have say 7 tortilla chips, I'll feel better and stop there. Other times it just spirals.

Comment

• Hmm, i'm way better than i was 1-2yrs ago. This year i've probably eaten only 3000kcals of crap altogether. I think! I thought i had my sugar cravings under control, but the last 3 weeks i have been craving sugar quite a bit. I started drinking organic fruit juices in small-ish quanities, and then the last 5 days have been indulging in shortbread, chocolate etc. Never been leaner, but the thing is, i actually don't care that i ate a lot of crap in this time. I saved a last bit of chocolate bar, just so i could throw it in the lake, to signify the end of my dependence on junk food. Ha!! The last 3 weeks my sleep has been awful and my mind racing(due to certain revelations).

Where does the panic come from? You just have to find a way to stop being so emotional about it. Easier done than said, before anyone says the opposite

Comment

• So, I just tweaked my diet to be 4 eggs in the morning and a bit earlier than before - higher protein and earlier b/c it is more of a leptin reset.

I also started L-glutamine supplementation. Wow. This has made a major difference for me. At the 4pm carb craving I opened a capsule under my tongue. It was really easy to resist the popcorn I made for my son where usually that is the time when I would grab a few handfuls and the downward spiral would begin. The other thing I have struggled with is letting go of my nightly glass of wine, which I associate with being able to relax. Last night - no alcohol craving at all.

The big thing is there is a calmness in my brain that simply wasn't there before. This is just with DL-phenylalanine, L-glutamine and 2 days of 5-HTP, no other amino acid supplementation. My mood is way more stable. I really was skeptical that this would make a difference since I already eat meat or eggs at every meal and I couldn't imagine that I was deficient in amino acids. But the difference is marked.

Today I get my GABA (anxiety and emotional eating) but I am not sure if I even need it. I also ordered L-tyrosine to help with energy but again, not even sure I need to go there.

Excited about the possibility of being free of the carb and alcohol cravings. I am hoping this effect will stick!

Comment

• Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                              So I'm trying to be sure I get a. enough protein (approx. .7-1 g for every lb. lean body weight--for me between 80-120 g), b. 4+ cups of (non-starchy) veggies, and c. 2-4 servings of fruit or starchy veggies. I'm finding if I am eating enough of all those foods (esp being sure to get in the protein and veg, and spreading all of these things throughout all my meals--no fruit w/out protein, etc.), I am FAR less likely to have a binge urge. (I also am doing 5-HTP and GTF Chromium in addition to my multi, mag, fish oil and D, just fyi.) I've even eaten a gf cookie or two (not primal) and stopped, not wanting any more (rarity for me...).
                              This is a continual process, but I do think *my* personal binge/craving/bulimia issues are related to too much fasting and not getting enough of the nutrients I need from good foods.
                              Sounds familiar! A huge step in limiting cravings for me was the RR step of getting in enough protein for breakfast, then enough for lunch & dinner, too, and deciding to follow a binge with more "enough" instead of skipping meals to try to make up for it. It led to a little weight gain at first, but I consider those 10lbs to this day as my best 10lb weight gain ever, b/c it was the beginning of the turnaround from a downward spiral to an upward one. I'm still on the climb out of the pit, just trying to rein things in before I really end up *in* the pit again.

I suspect my response to IF at this time is a bingeing one, too. I did whole30 and had no cravings for 2 weeks, then crashed FACE FIRST the first time I was faced with a favorite dessert. I starting IF'ing and loving it, but then crashed hard when faced with a favorite dessert and kept crashing for two months. I started leptin resistance protocol and, when faced with a favorite dessert, had a bite and stopped. Same thing the next day. Same thing the next day. It took two weeks of this plus a few days of not being able to get my big breakfast in to have anything resembling a binge. I hope I'm on the right path!!

Originally posted by Valkyria View Post
                              I'm a sugar addict myself by the way. I did think I had some issues, but I became really clear to me when I read "Potatoes not Prozac". For the last week or so I've been trying to follow the advice in the book, and I think it is working. Just being aware of the problem and why I crave sugary foods has helped a lot. But I don't think that I will ever be able to get rid of the addiction completely. I now how wonderful sugary foods taste and how good they make me feel, that's not something I'll ever forget. But I do think it will get easier in time.
                              The good news is, they stop tasting so wonderful and making you feel so good. For me, anyway. I mean, almost all bread products now look and taste like cardboard to me. Tha tin itself is a miracle. They make me feel crappy. Only the highest quality homemade sweets taste good to me anymore, and they never made me really feel good, and the after-feeling is atrocious.

PNP has so many great tips. I'm wondering if the Leptin protocol isn't the right answer to how to do it paleo. The 7 steps of PNP are no doubt flawed in their heavy emphasis on whole grains, but are also very right in their behavior modification benefits and building-on-small-successes baby steps. I've been wondering for several years how to adapt PNP steps in a traditional foods, no grain, way, and I think the leptin deal may give me a better lead on how to do that - how to lay it out in words so that others can follow it and have success. Too early to know yet, but I'll keep looking.

Originally posted by Isis View Post
                              Hi mamaGrok (and other sugar fighters)
                              I'm only up to reading page 7 of this thread, but wanted to share my experience.. I think I have 95% won my battles over sugar. ...However I then discovered Julia Ross' The Diet Cure as someone else also mentioned on here. And since April I've added:
                              -L-glutamine (to stop the sweet cravings),
                              -5-HTP (improves my mood when I feel like eating out of comfort),
                              -GABA (to de-stressaas I usually like to eat out of stress at home/work),
                              -L-tyrosine (not sure if its as effective for me, but meant to energise and as I like to snack on sweets to give me an energy/mood lift).
                              I've started IF properly again, I skip breakfast. IF helps me to stop eating after dinner time, as previously I used to stuff my face with anything but sugar as I was trying to avoid it, and then go to bed feeling bloated and crap. IF has helped control my evening snacking
                              I'm also re-introducing basmati rice and sweet potatoes slowly into my diet, to see if having some starchy carbs could help fine tune (and feeling fuller for longer).
                              So NOW, I finally feel I have won over most of my sugar addiction. Reading about the dangers of fructose wasn't enough. Eating high protein wasn't enough. Deleting grains wasn't enough. Neither was increasing fat. At the end of my journey, I had to fix me with amino acid supplements to wire my brain, to eat only when hungry. Sure I may still feel like 'hmm I might eat a chocolate bar' but if I do I usually stop to think "why?" is it becoz at work I have a sudden deadline to meet? or I'm angry at someone? At least I can acknowledge if I'm eating out of comfort/stress/cravings and then I note to supplement with AA accordingly. If I do have 1 chocolate these days, I stop at one. I can have a piece of birthday cake, and be fine when I'm done. I could go back for seconds, but my brain doesn't respond to sugar as a reward anymore. Thanks to amino acids, I don't binge
                              Duly noted! I'm so glad this is working for you! I'm opening my mind to the idea that I may need AA's outside of diet, if I'm not absorbing all the ones I eat b/c of HCl deficiency (I'm supping that), but I'm also hopeful that I won't need to go there if this leptin thing keeps working.

Originally posted by lev96 View Post
                              One way in which I differ is that I never considered looking for the "magic bullet." I don't believe there is one best (or even mostly common) answer for how to overcome the insidious binges. (That being said if the leptin or chromium something else really works and is SAFE, I wanna know about it!) But, assuming that I am correct and there really is no magic bullet, here are the suggestions that stood out to me along with a few ideas of my own. Since I donít believe in a magic bullet, I will instead be focusing on winning the battle from an addiction standpoint and trying to control the bingeing. I am writing this more to sum it up for myself, but I truly hope that my summary will also be helpful to you and the many, many, many others who are dealing with this problem.
                              1) True Hunger - Learn to identify true hunger....
                              2) Water - Thirst is often confused with hunger. ...
                              3) Donít beat myself up Ė...
                              4) Wheat Allergy (tell them you have it even if you donít) Ė this is totally key when avoiding the cake or wheat/baked product around family/friends!!! ...
                              5) Goals ...
                              6) Donít open the door ...There is my summary, of this huge thread! It has been helpful for me to write, and I hope it will be helpful to read as well. Thanks again MamaGrok and to everyone with their great suggestions!!!
                              7) Exercise
                              Some great suggestions! Let's see, for me, I've learned to tell cravings from hunger, partially b/c I knew what true hunger was before the cravings came in my 20's. But I thoroughly agree that this is important for all struggling to learn. I've been a water fiend for about 13 years now, so good there. I still sometimes use it to get myself through true hunger for another 30m or so till I can eat. Goals tend to get me beating myself up, lol. Exercise does help when I'm not mired in fatigue. In strong true fatigue, it doesn't help, but when the excessive fatigue is lifted, exercise helps in an upward spiral of exercise, more energy, and more strength against cravings.

Lastly, opening the door - I'm going back and forth with this. I just don't seem to have success with total abstinence. Avoiding sugar all the time, even when I see a truly fabulous favorite homemade gourmet dessert before me, leads to a binge, inevitably. I'm just not strong enough. Perhaps this will change as the cravings really die back - but right now, judging on the two weeks I've spent on the LR protocol, it really seems like "just one bite" or "just one serving" of only truly exceptional sweets is probably the right way for me to go, as long as I continue being able to do that without falling down the pit.

I think the difference is between cravings being under control and not being under control. When they're under control, the tactics change. And there is my thought on the magic bullet - I think there is one, for sugar, alcohol, and opiate cravings, which I think are all related. It has to do less with tricks to resist the cravings, and more with making them disappear. Cravings for crap are unnatural - and something physical is causing them. Get them to go away, and all the behavioral tricks in the world are no longer needed.

What is that magic bullet? Well, I don't think it's just one thing, b/c most of us have multiple things going wrong. SAD diet, dysbiotic guts, Mg & Cr & AA deficiencies, LR, who knows what else. IOW, I don't think it's just one thing, or the same thing for everyone, but I do believe strongly thath there is an answer that will make ALL the cravings go away and leave the suffering addict at the point where he can look at the drug and say, "Well, some would be nice, but eh, thanks but no thanks" and it ends there. No huge battle of will against urge. Just a simple ability to say no thanks without an inner battle. I do think it's out there!
                              5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                              Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                              Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                              Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                              ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Originally posted by Silky View Post
                                Wow 23 pages and no-one has mentioned calcium!
                                Yes, lol, certainly not me b/c I've been a dairy nut all my life, and while I'm eating less dairy in the last 9 months, I'm eating more bone broth made from grassfed animal bones, and eating bone itself, lol. You're almost certainly right that some are Ca deficient - me, I'm thinking this is not so much the case.

Originally posted by Violette View Post
                                I have these issues too. Am hypothyroid, have FMS, etc... A diet close to the Leptin Reset is what has helped me. I must have a high purine, high protein breakfast to make it to lunch. Then I must repeat that with a few lc vegs at lunch if I'm gonna make it to dinner. Dinner is about the same as lunch but with more of the vegs and less of the ptn. I almost never can eat fruit and if I do it has to be lc. .
                                This is pretty much the path I'm on right now. 50gm protein at breakfast, 25-30 at lunch w/ a veg, whatever I feel like protein-wise at dinner with a lot more veg and maybe half a starch. One piece whole fruit every 2-3 days in the summer & fall, none otherwise. It's feeling right, right now.
                                Originally posted by Violette View Post
                                Another list is for "allergies" for restaurants.
                                Great idea! I'm very tired of saying "No grains." "No, corn & rice are grains. No GRAINS." "No, seriously, mac & cheese is a grain, NO GRAINS!" Listing out the NO foods would be much easier for people I've found usually literally do not know the difference between butter & "spread".

Originally posted by Italapas View Post
                                Actually doing bioidentical progesterone cream right now and it seems to be helping with the cravings.
                                Interesting! I've never had a luteal phase defect; does that mean progesterone is good?

Originally posted by Horsewoman View Post
                                Had a good breakfast of duck eggs, bacon and sweet potato fried in lard with greens.
                                Oh my, does that ever sound delicious! Gonna have to try that with sweet potato. Did you just slice it?
                                Originally posted by Rocco Hill View Post
                                Where does the panic come from? You just have to find a way to stop being so emotional about it. Easier done than said, before anyone says the opposite
                                Well, there was no panic until 10 years went by and I still, despite trying everything and being calm and logical the whole time, could not stop the sugar bingeing.
                                Originally posted by bodhimama View Post
                                I also started L-glutamine supplementation. Wow. This has made a major difference for me. At the 4pm carb craving I opened a capsule under my tongue. It was really easy to resist the popcorn I made for my son where usually that is the time when I would grab a few handfuls and the downward spiral would begin. The other thing I have struggled with is letting go of my nightly glass of wine, which I associate with being able to relax. Last night - no alcohol craving at all.

The big thing is there is a calmness in my brain that simply wasn't there before. This is just with DL-phenylalanine, L-glutamine and 2 days of 5-HTP, no other amino acid supplementation. My mood is way more stable. I really was skeptical that this would make a difference since I already eat meat or eggs at every meal and I couldn't imagine that I was deficient in amino acids. But the difference is marked.
                                I'm keeping that in mind! I, too, resisted the idea that I could be deficient in AA's - I eat meat like it's going out of style! But what if all that high quality grassfed meat isn't being absorbed b/c of my obvious HCl deficiency?
                                5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                                Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                                Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                                Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                                ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Working...
                                X