No announcement yet.

PB and pregnancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well at this point I'm hardly getting anything at all from food, so it's probably a good idea to take the regular "everything" vitamin.

Why would beta carotene be detrimental? Just curious...

I will check out the link when I'm not so braindead. hehe.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

FNW, check out the first Q in this FAQ:

http://www.westonaprice.org/faq.html#pg

Comment

I'm not going to add to the debate. I will say that I'm also pregnant (33w2d) and I didn't start eating a primal diet until about 9-11 weeks ago. Some "issues" immediately cleared up:

-acid reflux went away

-excess fatigue went away

-cravings/crazy hunger became non-existent

-hormone-induced pimples vanished

I never swelled up like I'm "supposed" to (amazes my doctors) and my mood swings and headaches vanished in days.

I found it much easier to regulate what I was eating because when I got hungry I'd just make myself a salad. The hardest part was cutting out corn since it's in EVERYTHING but I'm managing.

My diet consists primarily of a lot of protein and healthy fats (yay coconut flour!) and about 95g of carbs a day, primarily from veggies and occasional cheese. I take fish oil caps, prenatal vitamins, and chew 2 tums a day for extra calcium in addition to occasional splurges of cheese and heavy cream. I cook damn near everything in whole, rich butter and recently made my own bacon-mayo.

All in all I've gained 20 pounds for the whole pregnancy. I was massively overweight to begin with so I was only supposed to gain 15 but I got started eating primally too late. Still, all my bloodwork comes back clean and healthy and every time they measure my baby he comes back declared "perfect".

So, I can't speak for what you're "supposed" to do but I can speak for what I've done and what's worked for me. Protein, healthy fats, lots of fresh veggies, and a moderate 1/2 hour of walking a day. She'll be fine.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for sharing Kam904s

Comment

Here's a thing I stumbled across, noting the last three items.

FOOD Calcium (milligrams)

Calcium-fortified soy milk, 8 oz 230-350

Soy yogurt, 8 oz 300

Tofu, calcium set, 1/2 cup 430

Calcium fortifed orange juice, 8 oz 250

Calcium fortified cereal, 1 ounce 125-1000

Greens (collard, mustard, kale) 1 cup 94-264

Canned salmon with bones, 3 oz 150-250

Sardines, 3 oz can 250

Comment

Too much soy is a general no-no when you're pregnant though.

Comment

Another good source of calcium is:

Almonds 1 cup 251

or (surprisingly high)

Spices, basil, dried 100g 2113

If you are worried about calcium, look for 'real food' from the top of this list:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-0...0000000-w.html

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
                Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
                Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

I'm at 15w right now and have been following PB since about June. I fell off the wagon at around 9w and have struggled getting it back together until about 13w. I think this was due to overall low energy, low willpower and general 1st-tri ickiness. I can say, though, that a good day of clean eating makes me almost feel 100%. It's so immediately obvious. As soon as I eat any grain, I can feel it right away. I've been doing well for the past week, ran a race this weekend, slept great, and got a lot done around the house.

I like almond milk for calcium.

Comment

I wasn't advocating soy. It was just on the list I found. I try to avoid soy, personally. The most I get is the occasional tamari sauce.

Comment

:-)

Diana, I was just adding for the record that *too much* soy isn't the best when you're pregnant. A little here and there isn't the end of the world. No worries!

Comment

maba thanks for the info btw. I'm definitely NOT following the WAP pregnancy diet - I don't eat half that stuff anyway and/or wouldn't know where to get it (no raw milk around here for sure, and I don't eat liver...). But I did read the bit about Vitamin A and googled around a bit...scary stuff.

I will definitely be asking at the doc office about their opinion about taking just a folic acid and iron supplement + cod liver oil capsules... not sure what else is necessary. Maybe a vitamin D supp too?

erstad17 - I just did a really long-winded update in my blog if your wife is interested. haha.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

Working...
                        X